Top 5 Gear/Equipment/Clothing New Hunter Must Invest In

A guy in our camp got disoriented in a blizzard 3 years ago and spent the night next to a tree. We all have an InReach now. If a new guy hunts with us it's a requirement. Thankfully he was prepared and he was fine but that was a long night for everybody. $450 is cheap compared to being lost, stranded, etc.
That's about what the wife and I decided a little while back.

We weren't even going deep in the backcountry, but she decided I just needed one when we were going to spend some time in a tent in grizzly country.

"I just want you to be able to check in or get help no matter what."

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
1. A good compass and paper topo map
2. A backup compass/gps
3. Boots
4. Optics
5. Depends based on type of hunt.

There's a few people that have mentioned onx or gps mapping system, but I highly suggest getting a good compass and carrying a backup paper map. Negligible weight penalty for increased safety. I've had my phone and headlamp both die on me on a whitetail day hunt after dark. Totally my fault for bringing faulty batteries/not having a better backup, and I would have been fine sleeping in the woods overnight it would just have been a bit cold but nothing dangerous if I didn't have the compass and a good knowledge of where I needed to head (mental map) and the ability to use my compass with minimal starlight to check bearings. The same scenario out west or a month later in the season here or on a backpack hunt would have been a different story with a different outcome or solution. Yes you need appropriate clothes and the like, but make sure you know how to get back to the truck/camp or have a plan to get help/aren't relying on a single electronic device for navigation. Ok I'll give the soap box back now, good luck on your upcoming hunt(s).

jayhawk

WKR
@robtattoo asked a good question. Where are you located, what are you hunting, and how? If you're in the mountains of West Virginia, then I would say skip the optics and invest in rain gear. If you're in Arizona, do the opposite.

Some of it is just trial and error for you personally in what you can't live without and what's most important to YOU.

rootacres

WKR
Pretty much what comments #2, and #3 said. Bad boots and pack can send you home pretty quick. I too was in your spot, on a budget trying to stretch my money in my early 20s. Buy binos used, most companies have great warranties. When you can afford better, sell what you have a level up. I started with some Redfields, now I have Leica Geovids. It didn’t happen overnight but buying used can get you better glass, sooner. Binos are a critical piece of kit for most hunts in my opinion.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
The above lists are dead on. I would add you must have some form of gps with offline maps such as OnX. Doesn't matter how good your gear list is if you are totally lost!
Agree on OnX maps they run a sale sometimes during the year you can get up to 40 % off

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
@robtattoo asked a good question. Where are you located, what are you hunting, and how? If you're in the mountains of West Virginia, then I would say skip the optics and invest in rain gear. If you're in Arizona, do the opposite.

Some of it is just trial and error for you personally in what you can't live without and what's most important to YOU.
Depending on terrain you could skip the optics like mentioned above. Just get a decent scope for the rifle sometimes that’s all you need. You could do without the Binoculars and save some cash there. Another option offer up or Mercari is a good option for less expensive binos if you really have to have them.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much what comments #2, and #3 said. Bad boots and pack can send you home pretty quick. I too was in your spot, on a budget trying to stretch my money in my early 20s. Buy binos used, most companies have great warranties. When you can afford better, sell what you have a level up. I started with some Redfields, now I have Leica Geovids. It didn’t happen overnight but buying used can get you better glass, sooner. Binos are a critical piece of kit for most hunts in my opinion.
Get some vortex they have the VIP lifetime warranty. Got my diamondback HD 10x42 for $100 they run about 250

Jon Boy

WKR
A warm bag and pad are #1 for me. Im a cold sleeper and the day I bought a WM bag changed my life. I cant reiterate this enough if youre a cold sleeper. Literally nothing else on this matters if I cant sleep half decent. I've hike my ass off the mtn more times than I'd like to admit from waking up freezing.

Comfortable boots. They don't have to be expensive. Id run Solomon quests in late season before id wear a clunky stiff mtn boot that cost 3x as much. Thats just me.

Comfy pack. I killed a lot of things with shitty packs but a comfy one is quite nice.

That's about it really. 90% of critters I've killed could have been had with a pair of vortex diamondbacks on my neck, ruger American in my hands and clothes provided by Costco.

I run swaros, a custom rifle, an exo and mostly pieced together rei and Costco clothes. None have bought me much but the first 3 are definitely nice to have.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Was interested in what you guys would recommend a new hunters buys FIRST (top 5 in order). I’ve already been on 2 hunts this season, 1 successful, so I know good boots and pack are essential. I’m a student and work part time so time and money is tight for me at the moment. Where to go from here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check offer up or Mercari I have been able to get gear there for a fraction of the cost. I was able to get a therm a rest pad for like 70 dollars when the regular cost is almost 200

Clarktar

WKR
Good:
Pack
Boots
Pad

The rest becomes very specific to hunt type, conditions, and hunting style.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MADGRZ

FNG
Three things I wish I invested in first:

First Aid Kit/Emergency Kit and know how to use it
Navigation and know how to use it
Bear Protection and know how to use it

UncleBone

WKR
Ill try and skip the boots pack etc.

1. Ill second Socks. Wool socks are an essential.
2. Water filtration. especially when back country hunting.
3. good clothing that fits well and allows you to move long distances comfortably.
4. a good reliable stove cannot be beat for heating water for food, coffee, and keeping warm at night (heating water for nalgenes or bags to keep in your sleeping bag to keep ir from freezing)
5. A good solid hunting buddy whom you can really depend on.

In no particular order:
1. Good pack (exo mountain)
2. Tent and sleep system
3. Lightweight rifle
4. Lightweight layering clothes system
5. Boots