To the mods…

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
This is a general unit in the Big Horn area with unlimited resident hunters. Draw for NR archery. All the spots I hunted were walk in from the main roads. If these spots are secret the locals must be blind. I have no hesitation sharing information on my past hunts and hope the information helps others. If they have success based on my help all the better. That being said I understand the reluctance.

Unreal. Zero respect for the game, the craft, the process, the locals, all of it.

Spot burners are selfish, it’s all about feeling like “I got him an elk” aren’t I awesome! To some random internet person you’ll never know and that’s the worst part.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
The first year I really put time into archery elk hunting I bought an OTC general elk tag that has less than a 10% success rate. My BIL and I chose an area based on a tip from some guy that my BIL bought a fish tank from. He told us he liked to ride horses in the area and often saw elk. We spent a few days hunting the area and couldn't find sign and didn't hear a single bugle. There was a lodge in the area that had cabins for rent and one afternoon we stopped by and talked to the guy who ran the lodge. We didn't ask about elk or hunting at all. We were just friendly and were curious about the cabin rentals. As we walked away he called us back over and said, "You guys are hunting elk right?" He then told us a about where he had recently seen a bull elk. We checked it out and, sure enough, we found sign and heard bugles . . . and didn't kill an elk because we really sucked at elk hunting at the time. But we used what we learned about that area(elevation, terrain, vegetation, etc.) and applied it to other areas and . . . well, we still suck at elk hunting but we are much better at finding elk on our own now.

I owe a lot of my hunting knowledge and a good chunk of my hunting spots to other people. But that knowledge came from being there in the field and having actual conversations with people and none of the advice was solicited. If I had just walked up the guys and asked for information on elk location I probably wouldn't gotten very far. I don't know why people think it should be any different on a forum. Contribute, comment, and discuss locations in PMs where it is not available for everyone with google to see. It's not that crazy of an idea.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yep. Go learn how to hunt FFS. Put boots on the ground, and you'll quickly find that all the internet information is hit or miss anyways. You gotta learn how to find, then actually kill the damn things, wherever you go.

Thanks to the Rokslide admins! You guys are killing it.
This right here!

Not to sound like a jerk but the answer is the same as it’s been since the caveman. Put boots on the ground, scout, learn the area, then spend time hunting it. Do that and you will have your answers.

People need to be less reliant on technology and the internet when it comes to these types of things.

I understand boots on the ground is the best way to scout, but I’m a father to 3 young boys, and I have a job to provide for my family so time is a valuable resource. I live in Idaho, if I want to hunt in Alaska as an example, am I to take a week or 2 off work and away from my family to go scout a place I’ve never been or could I ask a few general questions to get a better understanding of terrain, vegetation types, logistics and maybe what to expect for population and animal behavior without asking for a waypoint on a map? I’m not new to hunting, I have successfully done several out of state hunts without scouting trips and actually don’t ask for info really on the web. I guess we kind of agree in a way, I’m just choosing to devote my scouting a little differently when a location is not real feasible for a quick trip. Again I don’t think that spot burning should be done on the net, and I think maybe the real issue is how questions are asked, maybe folks should be asking more of those general info questions vs the send me your waypoint type questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't give anything away to friends anymore, let alone internet guys. I have literally 1000's of dollars and thousands of hours of time spent to find good spots. Call me selfish I guess.

I have spots I will share with friends, but they aren’t the spots I’m gonna choose to hunt they may be places I have even had success but I’m always on the lookout for better spots and the ones I do share are pretty far down my list

CorbLand

WKR
I understand boots on the ground is the best way to scout, but I’m a father to 3 young boys, and I have a job to provide for my family so time is a valuable resource. I live in Idaho, if I want to hunt in Alaska as an example, am I to take a week or 2 off work and away from my family to go scout a place I’ve never been or could I ask a few general questions to get a better understanding of terrain, vegetation types, logistics and maybe what to expect for population and animal behavior without asking for a waypoint on a map? I’m not new to hunting, I have successfully done several out of state hunts without scouting trips and actually don’t ask for info really on the web. I guess we kind of agree in a way, I’m just choosing to devote my scouting a little differently when a location is not real feasible for a quick trip. Again I don’t think that spot burning should be done on the net, and I think maybe the real issue is how questions are asked, maybe folks should be asking more of those general info questions vs the send me your waypoint type questions.

Time is a valuable resource for all of us. It doesn't matter if you have one or fifty kids, there is never enough time. That's part of having kids is giving up your time. Its a choice you made when you had them.

tracker12

WKR
Unreal. Zero respect for the game, the craft, the process, the locals, all of it.

Spot burners are selfish, it’s all about feeling like “I got him an elk” aren’t I awesome! To some random internet person you’ll never know and that’s the worst part.

I apologize for helping other hunters. I'll try not to be so selfish in the future.

I understand boots on the ground is the best way to scout, but I’m a father to 3 young boys, and I have a job to provide for my family so time is a valuable resource.

We all have limited resources, time included.

I think the point many are trying to make is this: We were all new to hunting at one time. And many of us devoted ALL of our free time and money to get good at this sport. A huge part of that was finding good places. Why should that get burned down because of somebody who isn’t willing to do the same as we have? Spending that time in the field SHOULD BE a necessary part of the process. If someone doesn’t have that time, maybe they aren’t in a position in life to capitalize on these types of opportunities. There’s lots of other hobbies, and other ways of enjoying hunting and the outdoors that aren’t so time consuming. Do what you have time to do, but don’t expect to get a handout from the people who have put literally thousands of hours and dollars into developing themselves into great western hunters. And you can fully expect them to be royally pissed off if a random internet stranger burns their spot. I have lost good friends/hunting partners in the past over this exact issue, and these are people I knew well, liked, and considered trusted friends.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR

I'd say most are in similar shoes. Took me 4 years to kill an elk and 12 different trips to Idaho to finally see a bear, just this season. Out of state hunting is hard if for nothing else just the logistics.

LFC911

WKR
I am sorry if you helped someone and they didn't get back with you on how their hunt went. Someone helped me with general info, so I am going to pay it forward. I am not going to tell them an exact spot where to go but if the tell me that x, y and z is their plan and x and y looked good or worked for me, i will give them a nod. Cheers

I’ll speak an opinion that probably isn’t going to be popular, I think unit number threads should exist. I would venture to guess almost every one of us has gone to the internet sleuthing to find info on a unit before deciding to apply/hunt there. Unit number threads aren’t the problem, it is when guys get super specific with information about specific spots in the threads that is the problem. I don’t share much info on units on the web but how else is anyone to get a basic understanding of terrain, habitat and animal populations without being able to ask, and for some units/places there may not be people that we know personally to be able to ask for information.

How did people do it before the internet?

FFS

chindits

WKR
I believe the root of this lies with there being a limited resource and an unlimited amount of consumers. There was a time when the west seemed unlimited and open. With a never ending increase in population that is often driven by their outdoor recreation focus all types of treasures have altered beyond recognition.

As new arrivals discover a fragment of what we once enjoyed, they don’t realize how much it has been reduced. They don’t realize how many more people are here doing the same thing and how many more will be coming. So with the fog of enthusiasm washing over them they share the treasure and the cycle repeats. In ten years they may realize what’s gone and what has been.

There was a time when there weren’t draw units. There was a time when deer tags were over the counter. There was a time when a ranch kid could ride a horse through the valley and over to the next and not worry about property lines nor ever see or even know what a trophy ranch was.

Some may never realize this because they only see these areas one week out of the year if even. Guard your treasures like they won’t be here tomorrow.

I think the mods are on the right track but it should be extended to everyone not just FNGs.

Rich M

WKR

I bet you don't open doors for old ladies either.

What's wrong w helping folks out? This is the selfish greed spoken of in another post somewhere.

I have both been helped and provided help. Will continue to do so, just not with spots others have shared with me.

What's wrong w helping folks out?
Well , WY general elk tags use to be over 50% draw with zero points, like just 10 years ago.

Now they're once in a lifetime.

Because outdoor whores, and message board idiots like to "help folks out"

That's what's wrong.

Every time you help someone out you cut your own throat. But, what's worse you cut everyone else's throat too.

Rich M

WKR
Well , WY general elk tags use to be over 50% draw with zero points, like just 10 years ago.

Now they're once in a lifetime.

Because outdoor whores, and message board idiots like to "help folks out"

That's what's wrong.

Every time you help someone out you cut your own throat. But, what's worse you cut everyone else's throat too.

We are different - I help folks cause folks help me cause I help folks. Some guys have made lifelong dreams of mine come true and I'd like to think I've help other folks with stuff like that.

It is definitely tough to hunt these days with all the "technology". In my life been fortunate enough to figure out some fisheries - we got 3 to 5 years of unmolested and exceptional fishing before the areas became popular. Not cause I told folks to go there, but cause folks figured it out themselves. Maybe they saw us catch some fish? Likely they just said let's go and had fun.

Hunt units and tags - the draw info is public. The harvest stats are public. The total number of critters killed in each unit are public. This is above and beyond OnX or GoHunt. A person w 1/2 a brain can figure out the areas with the best chance for success and then apply - since a lot of folks have 1/2 a brain and GoHunt exists, those draws are now jam packed.

Someone told me about a low pressure antelope hunt and I was chasing it, point creep was just in front of me the whole time. Didn't catch it and 2 hunt buddies wanted something else. Going guided instead and happy to be doing so with the changes in front of us this year.

Your fav tag is now everyone else's fav tag. Go Hunt and Randy Newberg et al are probably more of the problem than some folks helping other folks with stuff.

sndmn11

WKR
I think all threads with unit numbers should be nuked regardless of who it came from or how rare the license is. Same for those post or threads asking for them.

For the folks who think living in X and hunting in Y is a reason to ask for this kind of information, I think the better solution is to not apply/hunt. We all live somewhere, and if you don't have the time or money to scout outside of that somewhere I think it's a fair notion to either accept going in blind, or going less frequently, or buying less expensive gear.

The only thing holding a person back from scouting is their own mindset. The choice not to do so shouldn't have negative consequences for everyone else.

chasewild

WKR
I think all threads with unit numbers should be nuked regardless of who it came from or how rare the license is. Same for those post or threads asking for them.

For the folks who think living in X and hunting in Y is a reason to ask for this kind of information, I think the better solution is to not apply/hunt. We all live somewhere, and if you don't have the time or money to scout outside of that somewhere I think it's a fair notion to either accept going in blind, or going less frequently, or buying less expensive gear.

The only thing holding a person back from scouting is their own mindset. The choice not to do so shouldn't have negative consequences for everyone else.
Agreed. Any post with GMU number should be totally banned. There is so much data out there just by virtue of the game agencies that if you can't piece a plan together or aren't willing to go in blind, then take a second to reflect on what you actually want to do -- because "hunting" may not be it.

hobbes

WKR
It's not a matter of providing help , but a matter of doing so on a forum that everyone and their neighbor can easily see. Also, if someone is generous enough to share info that they discovered by working for it, don't turn around and hand that info out. It's likely they foolishly assumed that you'd keep it to yourself.