To the mods…

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I bet you don't open doors for old ladies either.

What's wrong w helping folks out? This is the selfish greed spoken of in another post somewhere.

I have both been helped and provided help. Will continue to do so, just not with spots others have shared with me.

You’re comparing apples to hand grenades. I open and hold the door for any sex or age. Pulled over numerous times on the highway to check on people broke down, etc. This isn’t about me in anyway. I get angry when people burn spots I’ll never even hunt. It’s the internet that’s the problem, it stays forever for thousands to read and exploit. If I tell someone I know in real life about a spot it’s first talked about that they don’t ever put it on the internet or tell other people.

SM braggers/spot burners are the epitome of loving something to death. Whether it’s hunting, fishing, hiking, surfing, hot springs, etc it’s all becoming harder every year to find solitude and unpressured wildlife.

Mish-pop

FNG
Before I became a member I was just reading through a lot of the posts and what information was provided to public. I became a member so I could contribute as best as possible and also for the classifieds which I already used to purchase some optics. I really enjoy this site and the information I have already gathered is phenomenal!

My goal is to try my chance at elk hunting for the first time Fall of 2024. I obviously have so many questions about this and that being a FNG. But I agree so much with removing or blocking Unit questions that ask for a lot of specifics. I hunt mule deer in my home state (private land for 20 some years so different than public for sure) but I also hunt waterfowl mostly on Public land. I have only taken my dad, brother, and one good friend who will not betray me to a couple honey holes. I post nothing on any migration forums to give anything away except if the main migration now hit my corner of the state. There is a enough public ground in the area so giving a region is no big deal.

I have learned my waterfowl spots by miles driving, some Onx, and wading through mud and water till I was thinking my waders had a hole but it was just so much sweat as to why i was wet. Being out of state would be hard but I plan to figure how to scout next year before I go to selected unit as that will give me the best info. I know the value of putting in the work and don't want to give that away to just anyone!

I have wanted to start a thread numerous threads on the forum but everytime I do I look first and see that the question has been posted. I have been looking at the mule deer thread to see if there is ever a question I can answer for that group since I do have experience in that arena, just not in the mountains. I hope I can contribute meaniful information in the future and provide an insightful question that gets many people involved.

Rich M

WKR
You’re comparing apples to hand grenades. I open and hold the door for any sex or age. Pulled over numerous times on the highway to check on people broke down, etc. This isn’t about me in anyway. I get angry when people burn spots I’ll never even hunt. It’s the internet that’s the problem, it stays forever for thousands to read and exploit. If I tell someone I know in real life about a spot it’s first talked about that they don’t ever put it on the internet or tell other people.

SM braggers/spot burners are the epitome of loving something to death. Whether it’s hunting, fishing, hiking, surfing, hot springs, etc it’s all becoming harder every year to find solitude and unpressured wildlife.

I understand completely. btw, I'm in FL and we have about 12x as many folks as ID does.

Things have changed form what we did in the 70s and 80s - yeah, I predate the computers and cell phones and such. Now, I can't even get a tag/permit without a bunch of planning and several years wait - even for spots an hour from my front door. It sucks.

The marketization of everything is why it is like it is. Someone found a way to make money off your formerly secret spots. The only way to slow it down is to stop the profit in it.

There was a post on another forum about selfishness and greed, it was about the guys who show up on opening day and make hunting difficult. He was calling them selfish and greedy where he was actually the guy who was being so. He wanted a nice peaceful hunt - like the rest of us do, leave us be and let us hunt. But so was everyone else.

Anyway, if we are all wanting the peace & solitude, why is it so damn crowded? it's not just your spots and my spots either, it is everyone's spots.

As a FNG, I thought long and hard on this topic. The two sides are clearly presented...one in which we help our nubile brothers out at the expense of both locals and those who put in the time, the other in which we "selfishly" hoard the information to ourselves. I have spent the better part of my adult life hunting out west. I'd be lying if I said I did not search for unit specific posts on this and other forums with regards to tags I've drawn. I'm a junkie for info. But I truly think it boils down to what we want from the hunt (and trust me I believe this has evolved).

When I was a kid learning to bowhunt from my dad, he would have been downright violent if I had tried to shortcut the process. As I watch my boys grow up, I'm forcing them into discomfort and "pain" as I need them to understand it is okay to be uncomfortable and grow. Couple this with our current society's addiction to instant gratification and I have come to the following: ban it. Anything easy isn't worth it and this was a wise decision by the mods. We need to reset folks' minds that the goal is to kill every hunt, every year. The goal is to be outside, in the wilderness, away from all of the nonsensical BS.

I still humbly believe we owe it to our brethren to help them grow and mature, and I firmly hope this thread does that while reminding them there is no such thing as a free lunch.

To be clear Rokslide isn't advocating for not helping people, we believe it's a fundamental piece of the Rokslide community. Please just use Private Messages if exchanging information on specific units.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

‘Helping’ is just semantics, derived from those still seeking handouts.

We all know discussing general stuff is ok, but the handouter’s call spot burning ‘helping’ because clearly, a lot still don’t get the difference.

I applaud your efforts, to lock any and all unit specific info.

So much selfishness on this thread. Im amazed at how someone could care so much about what 2 adults talk about, regarding an area said person will literally never visit.
I think the sentiment is more around publishing knowledge to live on the web forever with regards to unit specific questions from folks who are not part of the community at large. 2 folks chatting with each other is much different and I would tend to agree with you.

Gobbler36

WKR
Surprisingly enough, some of us traveled from the east multiple times years ago with otc tags in our pocket and just went hunting, knowing that it may take a few years of boots on the ground to have a feel for an area. We even landed on a dud or two and continued on trying to figure the mountains out. We found out the hard way that the mountains were a big place and would eat our lunch and kick us to the curb. I know that doesn't fit with the current immediate gratification culture, but hunting occasionally requires some work. It occasionally requires some sacrifice.

What a lot of folks would prefer is immediate success in beautiful and rugged country, or at least that sort of country in the background, so they can write some poetic mumbojumbo about how hard they worked in the backcountry to achieve success. When what they really want is someone to send them a pin and make it as easy as possible because otherwise they may have to put some time in to actually learn a few things on their own.
Amen

in this social media day in age a lot of people want to look and act like the big bad western hunter but when it comes to actually working for it they just want the fastest way point possib to get their instagram post

As an Albertan on this forum I can not believe the volume of information available from state game agencies on harvest locations ,statistics etc. I agree with limiting the information on this forum as to unit numbers etc. I personally do not share my hunting spots with anyone except my Son or a couple very close friends who also share some of their spots with me.

LFC911

WKR
So just to be clear for those not banned from doing this, what is the proper etiquette for NON FNG's to inquire about particular units regarding first hand access, topography, gear, pressure, opportunities, etc...?

A - Post up a new thread asking if anyone is willing to share info regarding unit XYZ via PM?
B - Search threads for said XYZ unit and PM persons that have mentioned hunting/visiting that unit in the past?
C - ?

sndmn11

WKR
So just to be clear for those not banned from doing this, what is the proper etiquette for NON FNG's to inquire about particular units regarding first hand access, topography, gear, pressure, opportunities, etc...?

A - Post up a new thread asking if anyone is willing to share info regarding unit XYZ via PM?
B - Search threads for said XYZ unit and PM persons that have mentioned hunting/visiting that unit in the past?
C - ?
C = arrive a week early and learn the most accurate information.

LFC911

WKR
C = arrive a week early and learn the most accurate information.
I drove out to CO to scout in 2020, then a big fire started and half of my unit was shut down and had to start from square one. Other states are not as convenient and vacation is limited.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drove out to CO to scout in 2020, then a big fire started and half of my unit was shut down and had to start from square one. Other states are not as convenient and vacation is limited.
A- is going to most likely get locked down if your sub 300 posts. People can still pm you and discuss unit specifics if they choose. Even with 300 posts we aren't allowing unit specific information to be posted on the open forum, it'll need to be exchanged via private message.

B- is likely the best way to reach others.
Be aware if someone bumps a unit thread from yester year is likely to be locked and hopefully fall back into the abyss of forgotten threads.

C- Always gives you the best chance at success.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Things happen! Fire, flood, snow, dryness, wetness, predators, etc., but the other half of the unit was open. You also could have turned your license back in and lost absolutely nothing, while gaining knowledge of the unit for the next year and all the following years.

The best unit to hunt in CO is the one you know best. ESPECIALLY for the person who has limited scouting time or funds. The people who dislike the idea of unit information shared are the ones who are putting something into their hunts within (scouting, past hunts, foregoing hunts elsewhere) and like the cost/benefit they get out of it. Nobody wants to see the cost of hunting a unit they have "invested" in double due to another person. They end up penalized with a reduction of access/opportunity, whereas I think the better trade-off should be the reduction of expectations or redefining of "success" by the person who has a minimal investment.

If you knew the hunt codes I am invested in, you might (probably would) look down on them. However, I have a lot of fun hunting them because I have learned a lot about them. People I "hunt with" won't hunt them because they have the hunt codes they know well, and vice versa. Those folks will come help in any way, and vice versa, but we stay with what we are invested in when it comes time for the payoff. I think that fact should reinforce that intimate first-hand knowledge of a hunt code (in CO, I assume other states are similar) is exponentially more valuable than anything else, including the number of points it does or doesn't take to hunt it. People have great hunts with undesirable hunt codes and bad hunts with desirable hunt codes, there's a very strong correlation between their complete knowledge of that hunt code and their "success".

You could have three years of scouting/hunting in the units you are eluding to, I hope you made it out and have a bunch of the puzzle pieces in place.

Come on, we don't want people to have to take ownership of their own destiny here.....

Carr5vols

WKR
FWIW. I recently spent multiple hours going though all my post deleting everything that had a unit number or reference to an area...others should do the same. When I first joined I was dumb to a lot of this now I am way more careful to protect what I have worked to find...I do appreciate the few who did PM me when I was starting out and at least got me within a 20000 acre of a good area!

Ya I think if you just state in your post that you can't scout because you don't have time then people should just share what they have.

( ;) )