To much clothes or to little for a 6 day backpack hunt??

armyjoe

Super Moderator
So I'm trying to see if I'm bring the right amount of clothes with me for a 6 day hunt. It will be the first week of elk season in CO at about 11k. Here is my list. What do you recommend I cut or add?

1 - Firstlite Kanab Pants
2 - Firstlite Llano Shirts - one crew, one qz
2 - Firstlite Underwear
2 - Darn Tough socks
1 - Firstlite Springer Vest
1 - Firstlite Beenie
1 - Cabelas Space Rain Gear set

JG358

WKR
Personally, Id take an additional insulation layer. Might never need it but I'd be glad to have it if I got cought in a early snow storm. :)

Last edited:

BuckSnort

WKR
I would also want an insulating layer... And maybe leave one of the Llano tops at home...And add a pair of gloves for early morning glassing..Don't forget some orange...

One puffy coat/vest or similar and that would be all I would take. I like taking two llano shirts, one to sleep in and one to wear all day.

There have been times I've done ok and not needed much more than the one set of clothes or one multiple layer system and an extra pair of socks for a week trip and I still packed way more than I needed. Merino wool keeps the stink down for several days :). My rule of thumb is, Murphy's law can show up anytime. Plan for the worse that might come so you can have it if you need it to get back home safe and enough to help make it a successful adventure.

swat8888

WKR
x4 on a puffy jacket....don't leave home without it. I'm a big fan of the neck gaiter too. Tend to wear it up over my head with a hat on top than my beanie...keeps the windburn on my face down.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
So it sounds like I will throw in my UL down jacket. I completely forgot about light weight gloves too. Didn't even put gloves on last year and I guess that made me space them out this year. This is why I ask you guys, thanks for the help.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
If it were me I'd ditch the vest, add a puffy jacket or vest and then a softshell windproof water resistant jacket like the Jetstream or equivalant Kuiu. Save the Cabelas rain gear for when it really pores. That stuff doesn't breath worth a damn and I don't put it on unless it's really raining.

Bare min add the jacket I'm talking about.......best money you could spend on clothing.

If it were me I'd ditch the vest, add a puffy jacket or vest and then a softshell windproof water resistant jacket like the Jetstream or equivalant Kuiu. Save the Cabelas rain gear for when it really pores. That stuff doesn't breath worth a damn and I don't put it on unless it's really raining.

Bare min add the jacket I'm talking about.......best money you could spend on clothing.
couldn't disagree more, i have no use for a soft-shell. i would take a spindrift and cabelas space rain over any soft shell including my guide jacket if were talking 6 day backpack hunt... .02

swat8888

WKR
X2....I'm not a softshell fan either, not on lightweight hunts anyhow. i used to take my jet stream, but never used it.

i wear my guide jacket when hear the hunting near the truck and i love that thing(blacktail, bear). also wear it snowshoeing and shed hunting a lot. i took it once on backpack trip and never wore it. not packing it again especially since its my heaviest layer..

dotman

WKR
Ditched the softshell a few years ago, heavy ass pillow was all it turned into.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
So if it's cold or windy do you guys walk around in your rain gear? I hate wearing rain gear unless its pouring buckets. The spindrift would not make it long as an outer layer in my neck of the woods. I guess a lot depends on your area.

dotman

WKR
Last year a fleece and vest, this year dropped the fleece and added the first lite labrador. I tend to stay plenty warm when moving, if sitting a rain jacket does fine if it is really cold but I tend to run warm and it takes quite a bit for me to get cold.

Lawnboi

WKR
If you plan on doing any serious glassing or sitting id take atleast an insulating layer. Your really dont have one.

Also looks like your going to rely on your space rain when it gets cold. Just be aware of how fragile that stuff is.

dotman

WKR
If you plan on doing any serious glassing or sitting id take atleast an insulating layer. Your really dont have one.

Also looks like your going to rely on your space rain when it gets cold. Just be aware of how fragile that stuff is.

I agree 100% need more then the llano and springer vest or you will get cold.

cmeier117

WKR
So if it's cold or windy do you guys walk around in your rain gear? I hate wearing rain gear unless its pouring buckets. The spindrift would not make it long as an outer layer in my neck of the woods. I guess a lot depends on your area.

I was going to start a new thread to get some advice on this but since you guys brought it up. If a guy didn't have a decent softshell of Rain jacket but had a down jacket and base layers would you go with the KUIU Chugach over the guide jacket first anyway? For a backpack style hunt? I like the idea of having a softshell due to the quietness and breath ability of them but I guess if it is raining hard enough and windy enough to need to throw the Chugach on no animals are going to hear the extra noise of the jacket over the wind and rain anyways? What's your guys thought?

swat8888

WKR
My puffy jacket has windstopper....so it stands alone in the wind without having to put my shell on. I rarely ever put my shell on unless its raining. But I throw my rain shell at the first sign of rain....I hate my gear getting wet because I never know when the sun will shine again to dry me out.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Ok, so I definitely need a jacket.

NOW - should I go with the Firstlite Labrador jacket (i already own) or buy something else. I own a down jacket but not sure if thats the way to go. The Labrador is a bit on the heavy side though.