To much clothes or to little for a 6 day backpack hunt??

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, so I definitely need a jacket.

NOW - should I go with the Firstlite Labrador jacket (i already own) or buy something else. I own a down jacket but not sure if thats the way to go. The Labrador is a bit on the heavy side though.

Yes it's heavy and doesn't stop the wind.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Ditched the softshell a few years ago, heavy ass pillow was all it turned into.

Weird my Jetstream is pretty light and doesn't work for sheet as a pillow.

I'm in my Jetstream alot. Seems like most of the time I have my base merino layer on, then the second layer (Sitka Travers shirt) and then the Jetstream. It breaths fairly well, has pit zips, is windproof, fairly water-resistant in all but a downpoor or constant rain and is pretty quiet.

To me it's an essential piece of my system.

dotman

WKR
Weird my Jetstream is pretty light and doesn't work for sheet as a pillow.

I'm in my Jetstream alot. Seems like most of the time I have my base merino layer on, then the second layer (Sitka Travers shirt) and then the Jetstream. It breaths fairly well, has pit zips, is windproof, fairly water-resistant in all but a downpoor or constant rain and is pretty quiet.

To me it's an essential piece of my system.

I only wear the labrador if sitting around, prefer it over softshell. If moving the warmest piece i'll have on is a vest. if it is that cold and windy a rain jacket works fine. In the end you just have to find what you like and to me the labrador doesn't feel like a jacket.

Another option is just go with the puffy coat, until I freeze my butt off in my current setup with the items I have I will continue to us the labrador. My buddy froze his butt off last year with the same setup you use bowhnt7, I was just fine in a fleece.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I do like the sounds of the labrador. Where I hunt it rains a ton. Even if it doesn't rain there is so much brush with dew on it that it might as well be raining. I have shredded rain gear in half a season. That's why I like the soft shell. Just a whole lot tougher in the brush. In Colorado it's a whole different ballgame. Less moisture and less brush.

dotman

WKR
Also remember the labrador is just an insulating layer, similar to a puffy jacket. The labrador is not a replacement for the softshell, I just dropped the softshell and added a hard (rain jacket). But I also do not belive a softshell is a replacement for an insulating layer.

Like Ryan says the system will change depending on climate, in alaska I would follow what Luke does and drop the labrador and add a puffy jacket.

Oh yeah the softshell as a pillow reference was just a way of saying I never used it.

Last edited: