To Hoody or Not to Hoody

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
As my dad told me in high school about certain latex prophylactic measures… “Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it”.

-RadDad

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
Im also a hoodie fan. I didn’t read every post but I wear hoods or a neck gator over my head on sunny hot days in the summer to protect against the intense sun.

A baclava or neck gator are other options I use alone or in combo with hoodies.

I dont have a hood on my insulated vest or cabelas microfleese shirt. The nice thing about having several hoodie options is you have several to choose from to be used by themselves.

OP
S

Skook

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered a Nano Air jacket today (40% off) without a hood. I contemplated getting the Nano Air hoody, but it was $30 more. So, I actually gave it some thought to decide if the hood on this piece was worth $30.

I won't have outer layers without a hood no matter how much more it cost. I figured I would use this particular piece mainly as a mid layer. If I do occasionally use it as an outer layer, I figure it will be at times when it's not too cold, not very windy and not too wet just because of the nature of the Nano Air. It doesn't excel as an outer layer in those conditions, IMO. So, if it's not cold, not windy, or not wet, does it need to have a hood? I decided no. If it is cold, windy and/or wet, the Nano Air will be a mid layer only, and I'd likely have a hood on at least one other piece.

It was a close call, and I've been wondering whether I blew it, which is why I decided to ask the good folks here for their thoughts. Seems like a personal choice, but at least I thought it through a little bit first before ordering.

Then, there are hats and neck gaiters. I can always wear it with a hat and neck gaiter....

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Mid and outer layer have hoods. Base layer is not hooded. With this, I always have something to protect my head whether it be from the cold, the sun, or hiking through thick stuff.

I mix and match.

for warm sunny weather, I like hooded base layer shirts. They are also good for concealment in early season hunts.

later in the season I prefer no hood base layers but like out wear and puffins to have hoods.

I don’t find multiple hoods to be an issue but you have to be thoughtful when you put the garments on To manage your hood situation. The only other issue I have is that much bulk around your neck holds heat. That is good if you are trying to stay warm but less good if you are trying to dump heat. Some pathing else that is easily managed.

Jethro

WKR
I don't care for a heavy insulated hood. Prefer merino or fleece hood on a mid layer. Favorite is Cabelas ECWCS hoody. Of course they don't offer that anymore.

Longer stationary hunts in lower teens or colder I'll use a heavier insulated hood.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to try for one hood at any given time, two max. I'd rather have zero hoods than 3+

Obviously, this means I try to get my layering pieces without a hood when possible. I usually try to get my baselayer in a crew neck, then my innermost midlayer(s) with a crew or raised collar, and then wear a hoodie as my outermost midlayer. I prefer hoodie type hoods to the kind you find on most outerwear, unless of course its pouring rain.

When its warm out I wear Aclima Woolnet with a thin bamboo hoodie over.

My shells obviously have a hood. I prefer insulated pieces to have a hood for everything except duck hunting. I don’t care for baselayer hoodies, and some midlayer hoodies (really depends on the midlayer and how much exertion I anticipate). I regulate further with ball caps and beanies, as needed.

Netherman

WKR
I mix and match.

for warm sunny weather, I like hooded base layer shirts. They are also good for concealment in early season hunts.

later in the season I prefer no hood base layers but like out wear and puffins to have hoods.

I don’t find multiple hoods to be an issue but you have to be thoughtful when you put the garments on To manage your hood situation. The only other issue I have is that much bulk around your neck holds heat. That is good if you are trying to stay warm but less good if you are trying to dump heat. Some pathing else that is easily managed.

Exactly this.

If it will regularly be used as an outer/only layer gotta have a hood. If it will only be used as a baselayer under an outer layer no hood.

TN2shot07

WKR
I like a hood on my outer shell, I don’t own any insulation with a hood. I always have a neck gaiter, balaclava, and some kind of beanie if needed in place of hoods all over the place.

Reactions: 9.1

tdm

FNG
Always need a hood. Agree with prior posts that never wear more than 2 at a time. Mid layer light hood can still be used with hooded coat.

Zaubr306

FNG
Base layer is a must for me, then my insulating puffy layer has it as well. Otherwise I choose not to have a mid layer one as that seems to cause the “bulk” of a build up.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I hate hoods. Rain gear is the exception.
The only layer I might have on with a hood is a sweatshirt and it's not for the hood.
When we do hunt in zub zero I have a wool coat that I'll wear and use the hood over my wool hat but if I could find a different way to keep my head warm in that weather I'd not use it then either.

At least 1, no more than 3. I get a hoody in any layer that I use as outerwear. Sitka Ambient, Puff jacket, or rain jacket.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I hate hoods. Rain gear is the exception.
The only layer I might have on with a hood is a sweatshirt and it's not for the hood.
When we do hunt in zub zero I have a wool coat that I'll wear and use the hood over my wool hat but if I could find a different way to keep my head warm in that weather I'd not use it then either.
Dachstein wool knit cap keeps my head warm.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have hoods on everything- light base layers, heavy base layers, mid-layers, wind shirts and of course insulating/puffies. Light base layers (light colored) make great sun shirts- if it's blazing hot and the sun is out, you want a hood.

It amazes how efficient a hood (even a light hood from a base layer) can be for regulating your temperature.

The difference between a hood base layer and a non hooded base layer is maybe an ounce, an ounce well spent in my experience.

I'm always surprised when someone asks of he should get a hooded or unhooded insulating jacket- what, it's a jacket to keep you warm- yes you want a hood! :D
I’m in this camp right here! It all has a hood or it’s not something I’m taking backpacking or hunting.