Tires and forest service roads

I replace my tires early..usually at the 35-40K mark. take them off, sell them for a few hundred bucks. i don't like to run them down too far for this reason.
I just replaced my hankook dynapro atm's on my tacoma with cooper ST MAXX 10 ply for this very reason...the rocky roads we usually drive.
guy at the tire shop tried to sway me from it, but it's worth it for the piece of mind.
i also carry plugs, deflators, and a small compressor.
another thing to think about on these types of roads is how your tire is inflated. airing down can help a decent amount..
check out this video
YouTube

Last edited:
Good grief. Where do you live? You drive like a rally truck driver? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
N.Idaho the shale granite in the roads does it. And yes I might rally a little lol. Especially during spring bear Filling bait sites.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dwnorton1

FNG
Forest road 250 is in Colo unit 80-81. Normal road, not 4x4 trail. I could not get plugs to hold. 1 tire 1 1/2" gash right in heart of tread, 2nd tire with 7/8" gash . 1st and fifth flats were smaller(same tire), but ran over big screw on La Veta pass, and ruined sidewall as it open up patch from first flat with new hole and ran off rim before could get off road. In fact all the holes were in same grove pattern(2nd groove from sidewall) on all 3 ruined tires, right between lugs

Gravel road not good description. It had all kind of nasty angular rocks turned over. I saw at least 3 others with flats as well and local says, oh yeah this is normal every time they grade. Was up and down same roads 1 month earlier without any issue.

Yes I agree it is a 6ply issue. My mistake. But my issue with Cooper is misdirection about road hazard coverage. Do not say come with road hazard. Advertise eligible for warranty with extra $. I did not expect replacement, they could have said $10 off and it would at least have been something other than hey you just paid $500/yr to use our tires. Kinda steep considering I wasn't doing 15000mi yr on them or $0.032/mile.

At least my new tires have some form of warranty, that didn't cost. To boot the Toyo AT 2 10's were cheaper to purchase than the Cooper AT3 6's but may have been screwed over tire shop last time so not sure what I paid for. Again my fault.

"More than 25% Worn: Toyo Tires will pro-rate and replace any eligible
tire when the original usable tread is worn by more than 25%, and
within 60 months from the date of purchase. If you cannot provide a
copy of the original sales invoice, the manufacturing date of the tire,
as indicated by the tire DOT code, will be used in lieu of the purchase
date for purposes of the above calculation. You are responsible for
the prorated cost of a replacement tire, and also for mounting
and balancing costs, taxes and any other charges."

The point I was trying to bring up as be careful and think about your tires even if you suppose they should be good.

I forgot how brand sensitive everyone gets, because I insulted their fav tire brand. I do not give a crap about brand, I just want the most top quality product. I only stated facts as the way it happened and brand I was running, my issues with situation, and what I did after the fact. So if I offended sorry.

another thing to think about on these types of roads is how your tire is inflated. airing down can help a decent amount.. check out this video [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kz8mmLkeks said:
YouTube[/url]

Gotta be careful with airing down though, it exposes the sidewall more and some tires have really thin sidewalls. Next time you are at a tire store, go feel up some different brands of 10 ply tires. It is pretty eye opening the difference in tires that are all "10 ply rated".

Gotta be careful with airing down though, it exposes the sidewall more and some tires have really thin sidewalls. Next time you are at a tire store, go feel up some different brands of 10 ply tires. It is pretty eye opening the difference in tires that are all "10 ply rated".
for sure. but on my truck, airing down from 35-25 doesn't really expose the sidewall much more and increases the ride quality quite a bit.

sndmn11

WKR
I had thought that tire "ply" was a thing of the past and load range was a better indication of thickness since tires haven't been made with layered "plys" for a while. Some P tires are on par with others LT tires due to rubber compound and construction differences.

Titan

WKR
I had thought that tire "ply" was a thing of the past and load range was a better indication of thickness since tires haven't been made with layered "plys" for a while. Some P tires are on par with others LT tires due to rubber compound and construction differences.

This is true. I guess we are technically talking about Load Range E tires. Kind of like 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton trucks. Really doesn't correlate anymore, but everyone knows what your talking about.

sndmn11

WKR
This is true. I guess we are technically talking about Load Range E tires. Kind of like 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton trucks. Really doesn't correlate anymore, but everyone knows what your talking about.

Understood. For example, Cooper and BF Goodrich have some "LT" tires that would traditionally imply a 10ply, but the load range is less than my Michelin P (non-LT) tires of the same size. So, I think relying on outdated nomenclature (plys) or strictly looking at prefixes can be a pitfall for someone, when they should be looking at the load range as a more direct comparison of durability. I chose non-LT tires for the greater mileage warranty and their lighter weight compared to the same tire in an LT version in theory would equate to better gas mileage.

Btaylor

WKR
LT, P, 6 ply, 10 ply Load E...when I need tires again if I just ask for a set of allterrains that comes with a free John Deere cap rather than a freakin flat bill, will I get the right tire?

nrh6.7

WKR
Agree with above regarding plys vs load rating. I meant to say E rated tires, but you get the gist.

Also, to the op, I don't really think you offened anyone talking about Coopers at all. To me it came across as though you just didn't know what you had on your truck. Then you weren't sure if you paid too much, due to the Toyos being less, which I have never seen. Don't have any comment on the road hazzard warranty unless that verbiage was buried in small print. I would be having a talk with the tire shop that sold them to me.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
I had 6 ply Dunlops on my 2016 4Runner, had 2 flats on the fire roads in AZ 5A. Wasn't too surprised to be honest. I knew I was pushing my luck and it ran out. It was on scouting trips, so didn't ruin any tags, but still a PITA. Ended up switching to 10 ply General X3. Great tire and plenty of good scouting trips up in 5B near Long Lake. If anyone knows those roads, they are tire killers.

However, prior to that, I had 6 ply General Grabber AT2's on my 2008 FJ and those were great. Put 50k miles on them before I sold the truck and they had plenty of life left. Did quite a few scout/hunt trips in 5A/B, 37B, 24B and 8 with zero issues. That being said, after these X3's are done on my 4Runner, I'm going back to AT2's, but in a 10 ply (harder compound (?) and should last longer). Only bummer about these 10 plys is it seems like I have to get them balanced more often on my lighter vehicles (compared to 3/4 ton trucks, etc).

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love my cooper st maxx. No issues at all... I’ll never go back to a toyo open country. I have toyo m55 in my big truck and they do well as well. The new toyo rt looks like a good tire as well just Spendy. The coopers are half the cost and last just as long.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I love my cooper st maxx. No issues at all... I’ll never go back to a toyo open country. I have toyo m55 in my big truck and they do well as well. The new toyo rt looks like a good tire as well just Spendy. The coopers are half the cost and last just as long.

I use M55s for years, super tough.

mtmuley

WKR
20170716_114846_resized.jpg20170716_114846_resized.jpgLoad range C. 6 ply. Full cord of firewood. Been doing it for years on Montana roads. On my serious mountain truck, Cooper St Maxx, siped. No better snow and ice tire out there. mtmuley

mtmuley

WKR
The M55’s are probably the toughest tire available, wear like iron, ride like that too. That’s what a bunch of oilfield trucks run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had one set of M55's. Once was enough on a semi daily driver. mtmuley