Tires and forest service roads

nrh6.7

WKR
Sounds like this isn't a Cooper issue, but rather a ply issue, and not verifying which ply was installed on your vehicle. I have always run 10 ply tires on all of my trucks because of their durability.

I looked at Toyo tires and they were way more expensive than the Cooper STT Pros I just bought.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Only tire I’ve yet to have a flat on is the Cooper Maxx. But I’m sure I will in time. The Toyo’s get flats too, believe me:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
Shoot they don't even grade the mountain roads I drive on . Been running 6 ply for years . What state are you in?

Phaseolus

WKR
Sounds like the OP should have blamed the forest service for grading the road at hunting season. They should have done that a couple months back when it was mostly hikers and hippies using those roads, not those of us actually paying for them.:cool:

Huh? Hunters paying for Forest Service Roads? Not in Colorado. We hunters do pay our state agency to manage our animals but I’m pretty sure none of that goes to the Federal Gov’t.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot they don't even grade the mountain roads I drive on . Been running 6 ply for years . What state are you in?

Spend some time up in unit 1. You will have 4 new tires soon:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I live in western colorado and drive many miles on gravel and dirt roads with 6 Ply Coppers and have never had any flats from rocks. I run them at 35lbs for a smoother ride so perhaps that helps. I get all my flats - one a month at least - from picking up screws and nails at the jobsites.

Someone is sowing caltrops on roads and trails in Northern Wisconsin, screwing up the season for bear hunters. Ply number and brand is irrelevant then. I hope that tactic doesn't spread.

What are caltrops? Heading up to northern wisconain for openner. Keeping my ears open for this same rumor

Caltrops are a couple of bent metal pieces welded together or spikes through a ball or bent spikes welded together so that there are four points or spikes in a tetrahedral sort of shape... a triangular pyramid. Regardless of how it's dropped, one spike or point is pointing up, the other three are a solid base. They are ancient anti-personnel devices. They'll destroy tires and can do serious damage if someone steps on them.

Supposedly several guys in Sawyer county lost tires to them. There's a thread on Bowsite about it in the Wisconsin forum. There's a picture of one of the caltrops in the beginning of the thread. I called a buddy up there and he said he'd heard about it. People are not pleased. Rod Coronado has been mucking around with a bunch of his anti-hunting zealots. With his past and the tactics of the animal rights people he attracts, it sounds like he/they are suspects with at least a couple of a mature sleuths.

Wrench

WKR
If you bombed that many tires, even with 30ish% tread....I'd say you either drove through acid or need to seriously look at your driving habits. I have 320k miles on a yota with at least 200 of those on dirt and NEVER had a flat.

If I'm on square edged rock roads....I slow down and sometimes air down. If it's gravel, I don't get into a drift at every corner. Big round cobble deserves some respect and small round and sand is made for high speed runs.

Just think about the conditions and drive accordingly.

Ps. EVERY rig on a mountain road should have a plug kit with a new tube of glue and a compressor. I can fix a tire faster than I can dig out a lug wrench.

Tore out the sidewall in my rental jeep on a recemt arizona deer hunt. First time for everything. I strongly recommend higher ply tires like a nitto mud terrain on mtn roads. Llike to add a limited slip diff on my truck before october as well.

I ran 10ply cooper at3s and my local mountains ate them up in under 15000 miles. I will not buy them again. Great on icey pavement but thats about it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Huh? Hunters paying for Forest Service Roads? Not in Colorado. We hunters do pay our state agency to manage our animals but I’m pretty sure none of that goes to the Federal Gov’t.

Pittman-Robertson and Dingell-Johnson excise dollars come directly from the sale of products to hunters and anglers. Those dollars don't necesarily go directly to roads, but they do go to projects in national forests.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What vehicle? A friend runs those exact same tires on a Ram 2500 diesel and has well over 60k on his set and that includes a lot of mtn road driving.
I ran 10ply cooper at3s and my local mountains ate them up in under 15000 miles. I will not buy them again. Great on icey pavement but thats about it

Titan

WKR
One question for the masses: do any of you guys air your tires down when hunting and spending significant time off road? It's a given for a huge part of the off road community, but I never see mention of it in hunting circles. Dropping an LT tire from 50+ PSI down to 20 can sure smooth out the ride and in a lot of cases protect the tire a bit.

I pull a trailer to get to camp so I run my tires around 55-60. I have a nice little compressor so that I can drop the pressure and then re-inflate at the end of the week. All that to say...I have never done it. I bounce around those trails and roads because I'm too lazy to drop the pressure. Ha!

I don't think any 1/2 ton truck is rolling off the lot with 10 ply. My Ram has some junk 6 plys "AT" tires that I immediately swapped out.

What vehicle? A friend runs those exact same tires on a Ram 2500 diesel and has well over 60k on his set and that includes a lot of mtn road driving.

Jeep Cherokee