Tire Chains

WTFJohn

WKR
Even with 4x4 you will still need front chains if it is bad, for example a friend's hunting cabin is at the end of a multi-mile private unmaintained road, with multiple switchbacks and off-camber turns. You will not make it without chains on all 4s if it is snowy and slick.

To check clearance for chains on newer rigs, mount them up front with the wheels straight ahead. Use double spider tensioners on the chains to pull all the excess slack to the outside (you should always carry 2x the tensioners needed, they break). Look inside the wheel well to make sure you don't have a conflict with the chain hitting the upper ball joint or getting close to the ABS or brake line. You can ziptie those to the upper control arm if needed to get them out of the way, don't kink them though.

Now SLOWLY pull forward and start to turn left or right, listening and checking for clearance. As you turn, conflicts may include your front sway bar, the bottom of the front bumper, and the bottom of the front wheel well by the door. If you are clear here, find a curb or similar and pull a tire up on it to 'flex' the suspension; check clearances here both straight and turned. If it's too tight to fit your rear chains (on the front), step down to a smaller chain or to a cable setup.

I am fitting V-Bars on a 2016 3/4 ton diesel without a hiccup, they are on/off dozens of times thru a winter. I do not run them on paved roads, and I do not run them above 10-12 mph, so IF something were to come loose I'm not dealing with 40 lbs of chain swinging around the wheel well thrashing everything at speed.

DE21E4A5-7C92-4EA0-990B-E9906FEF87FE_1_105_c.jpeg

Deadfall

WKR
Deadfall I agree it's not that I don't want to chain up all 4 but tearing up my brake
lines does not seem like a great option. I called Ford reps but really did not learn
anything as what has been mentioned I am sure it's a liability issue.
I learned from experience

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been hunting the same area & same season in NW Co the last 20 years & yes you need chains & all 4 wheels are the way to go if you are planning to drive to your hunting area. I sold an older Tundra because chains didn’t fit & clear the undercarriage. I had the same sized tires as the Chevy & stupidly didn’t test before I needed them. We use UTV’s for rougher terrain but unless you stay on paved roads chains are a necessity. Practice putting them on & make sure they fit tight enough without loose links to damage your wheel wells but not so tight you can’t put them on with gloves. Have a big enough waterproof bag for storage with gloves you can get filthy & a towel. Clean& thaw whe you can to keep them usable.

ahlgringo

WKR
I am also a big fan of cam locks. I carry a set of tiny clevis hooks and lock the cams. This method has severely limited my need for spider bungees which in my experience are lucky to make it though a season without breaking.

RS3579

WKR
Thanks guys for the feedback. Now I will just need to figure out which will work best on my Tundra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2017 Tundra can only use chains on the rear per the truck manual. I got V bar with the cam for the rear. They fit great. About $115. Please let me know if you get them to fit the fronts (size/manufacturer). Definitely have them available good luck

MRC

FNG
Did you figure out something that fits on the front tires?
Put 1 1/4 inch Spidertrax spacers on the front. Removed mud flaps on the front wheel wells. I still have to push the front wheel well in and drill a hole in it to squeeze it in. Found a video online for that. People do it when they put oversize tires on. Haven’t done that yet but it looks pretty simple because the wheel well is plastic. My tires are 275/65/18. Ordered Laclede v-bar reinforced wide base chains from Auto Hauler online. Got the 2829 cam. It’s one size bigger than what was called for. Talked with customer service at Laclede.They recommended the larger size if I was comfortable cutting a few links off to shorten them.With the bigger chain I got an extra crosschain. Laclede chains are also sold at Oreilly Auto parts.When I looked at them online from Oreilly’s there were a lot of complaints for my recommed size not fitting or just barley fitting.Glad I got the larger size. Easy to cut a few links off.Laclede was very helpful.

MRC

FNG
None where I live but I also believe Les Schwab carries Laclede chains.

Flat lander here. I was hoping to get your get your guys take on tire chains. I plan on hunting western Colorado in late November and was wondering if I need chains. What do you think? What brands would you recommend? Front and back? Do chains damage your tires? I appreciate your comments.

Flat lander here. I was hoping to get your get your guys take on tire chains. I plan on hunting western Colorado in late November and was wondering if I need chains. What do you think? What brands would you recommend? Front and back? Do chains damage your tires? I appreciate your comments.

By Oct. in CO definitely carry a set of chains. Also, on some trucks like my 2012 F-150 it is recommended that they be installed only on the rear tires because of possible clearance issues with the front. Double check with truck's manufacturer.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Oldtimers chained back 2 wheels on a 2 wheel drive rig and go anywhere they had nuts enough to wonder.

With 4x4 no need for front chains. If the chains have any heft to them at all and are on front wheels, soon as you turn going to tare up brake lines. Especially with the big fat tires everyone runs these days
4x4 doesn't mean anything if you can't steer, that's the primary reason for chaining the fronts. You can have all the traction you want out back but it does no good if you turn the wheel and keep going straight into a ditch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
4x4 doesn't mean anything if you can't steer, that's the primary reason for chaining the fronts. You can have all the traction you want out back but it does no good if you turn the wheel and keep going straight into a ditch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
True. I've just not owned anything in last decade that I could chain the front without destroying things.
I run V bar chains too. Chains I run may be too aggressive for front.

Me personally have never needed front chains. Guess I can't say much about front chains since I don't use them.

stickbuck

FNG
I would recommend all 4. If only putting on 2 (sometimes all that is needed) PUT THEM ON THE FRONT SO YOU CAN STEER THE VEHICLE.

Saw multiple guys in MT put them on the back and get in trouble.

Totally agree with chains on all four tires. If I have to stop to put them on, it’s only a few extra minutes to get them on all the tires.

cnelk

WKR
I even chain up the front tires on my atv for better traction when using my plow
Amazing difference

E12EA334-44BC-46DA-A2C8-F3FE2CEAABF5.jpeg

I don't think anyone is saying that 2 chains are better than 4 , I know I sure am not.
The problem is having a truck without the proper clearance for front chains.

4ester

WKR
I was always told always have a backup plan.

So if you have a 2wd truck, bring one set of chains to get you out.

If you have a 4wd truck (in 2wd) , save the 4wd to get you out.

If you have a 4wd truck and use it to get in, have one set of chains to get you out.

If you have a 4wd truck and use one set of chains to get you in, have one more set to throw on.

If you have a 4wd truck and chain up all 4 to get in, you better have a winch to get out.

Even with 4x4 you will still need front chains if it is bad, for example a friend's hunting cabin is at the end of a multi-mile private unmaintained road, with multiple switchbacks and off-camber turns. You will not make it without chains on all 4s if it is snowy and slick.

To check clearance for chains on newer rigs, mount them up front with the wheels straight ahead. Use double spider tensioners on the chains to pull all the excess slack to the outside (you should always carry 2x the tensioners needed, they break). Look inside the wheel well to make sure you don't have a conflict with the chain hitting the upper ball joint or getting close to the ABS or brake line. You can ziptie those to the upper control arm if needed to get them out of the way, don't kink them though.

Now SLOWLY pull forward and start to turn left or right, listening and checking for clearance. As you turn, conflicts may include your front sway bar, the bottom of the front bumper, and the bottom of the front wheel well by the door. If you are clear here, find a curb or similar and pull a tire up on it to 'flex' the suspension; check clearances here both straight and turned. If it's too tight to fit your rear chains (on the front), step down to a smaller chain or to a cable setup.

I am fitting V-Bars on a 2016 3/4 ton diesel without a hiccup, they are on/off dozens of times thru a winter. I do not run them on paved roads, and I do not run them above 10-12 mph, so IF something were to come loose I'm not dealing with 40 lbs of chain swinging around the wheel well thrashing everything at speed.

View attachment 314688
Got your twin! C1821C3E-44F9-467A-960F-B4694D4C0F49.jpeg

Buy chains with cam locks. Pewag Chains is what I would recommend.

Then the number one rule for putting on tire chains, is get the inside link as tight as you can first. Then hook the outer and roll the cams to pick up the remaining slack. You want them bastards tight.

Watch this video. You can see how high the chain in sitting on the outside of the tire. This is due to them getting the inside as tight as possible. The inside is probably real close to the bead of the rim. You can also see him roll the cam and slack appeared so he readjusted the link.

CCooper

WKR
I like the quality brand square link chains. Put them on fronts like @cnelk. Carry chains for the back as well, if those need to be deployed its time to start heading to a lower elevation.