Tipping a taxidermist?

Elcy

FNG
I normally do my own euro skulls, but took my last bull elk to a taxidermist for a euro mount since the antlers were in velvet. It'll hopefully be done soon, and I have no idea if I'm supposed to tip the guy when I pick it up.
He shipped the antlers to a freeze dryer if it makes a difference in your opinion.

Mojave

WKR
Do not tip a taxidermist!

You will **** the rest of the hunters on the planet.

I was in Tajikistan for military work in 2008. Guys on my flight were on their way there to hunt Marco Polo. Even then the whales tipping $10-20,000 on a $20,000 hunt were ruining the entire operation.

Now that it is a $30,000 hunt every asshole over there thinks they need another $10,000.

Don't tip!

If he is good use him again.

My gunsmith is in his 60's. He is really good used to build parts for Numerich Gunparts on a CNC.

He broke a bit on a barrel job that I paid for, and asked about replacing the bit. I ordered 3 of them for him.

Now every time I come in there I get the sob story. I should have just gave him the money for the bit and went on my way. Tried to do something nice.

Every time I see him now he has his hand out.

Don't tip!

Never, unless he truly did something out of his way to fill a specific request. Even then he’ll charge you for it mitghily I am sure. So… NEVER

A gratuity is the personal recognition and a tangible thank you for superior service and as such...the decision is never wrong if you feel the tip was earned. There are few absolutes in the world of gratitude...do as you see fit and dismiss the opinions of the masses. Many people deserve tips but never receive them because the masses consider them "unworthy" which is an easy excuse for keeping the money. In my experience, the best tippers are those who once relied on gratuities for financial survival. I know I have served time in such a profession and am thankful I no longer live in that world because a large portion of society sucks and have no clue what it's like to need tips. Don't listen to most people...follow your heart. There are only two people you need to consider...you and the person you feel earned the additional coin.

Last edited:
My dad has a euro mount business. Theres no tips unless its a $88 bill and they pay $90 and say keep the change but outside that theres no tips expected. Like said above they set the price for the service thats what they should get

Unless he rushed it or did something exceptional in terms of customer service then nope.

Even then it wouldnt anything more than a case of their favorite beer

OP
E

Elcy

FNG
Great responses, confirms what I thought.

In general, I don't tip people except the waitstaff at dine in restaurants/bars, or the guy who delivers my pizza.

Thanks

ODB

WKR
He broke a bit on a barrel job that I paid for, and asked about replacing the bit. I ordered 3 of them for him.

Come again? A machinist broke an endmill because he got the speed/feed wrong and wanted to charge YOU for the pleasure of replacing the mill HE broke?

def90

WKR
Generally I would say no.. but being an artisan profession if you are overwhelmed with the job they did and they went above and beyond your expectations I wouldn't hesitate to flip him a gift of some kind..

A gratuity is the personal recognition and a tangible thank you for superior service and as such...the decision is never wrong if you feel the tip was earned. There are few absolutes in the world of gratitude...do as you see fit and dismiss the opinions of the masses. Many people deserve tips but never receive them because the masses consider them "unworthy" which is an easy excuse for keeping the money. In my experience, the best tippers are those who once relied on gratuities for financial survival. I know I have served time in such a profession and am thankful I no longer live in that world because a large portion of society sucks and have no clue what it's like to need tips. Don't listen to most people...follow your heart. There are only two people you need to consider...you and the person you feel earned the additional coin.
Bruce, in my opinion, this is an excellent reply, you perfectly depicted my feelings on the subject… I certainly couldn’t state it better

I have probably 20-25 pieces of taxidermy at my house from hides, to euros, to shoulder mounts from a few different taxis, I have tipped one once, and another one every time she’s done work for me, I don’t tip because I think I should, but when someone charges low prices, and produces something better than much higher price work and is a pleasure to deal with, I want them to know that I appreciate them going above and beyond.

One shoulder mounted blacktail, first time using this gentleman, and it was his last year before retiring, he was truly passionate about his work, and wanted everything perfect, and charged 10 year old rates, just a pleasant person, the opposite of burned out, still cared as much as anyone, and did stunning work for cheap.

The other lady I always tip, she does my euros, she’s about half the price I was paying before learning of her, and again, pleasant human, happy to have your business, and does incredible work… I always thought a euro was a euro until I brought her my biggest roosie a few years ago and there was a wow factor, and everything is absolutely perfect and clean every time, no oil spots on skulls after a few years, and I don’t know what she does with the antlers, but they look alive (if that makes sense) she produces a standout product, and she does them cheap (relatively)

I tip her every time, because she kicks ass… I have a really big lion skull she’s metalizing right now, and my buck from last year… not a quick turn around, but always well worth the wait, I didn’t know there was such a large gap in talent in regards to euros.

The other taxis I have used I thought their price was fine, and they did nothing special, maybe seem a little inconvenienced by bringing them a critter, or whatever… not bad, but nothing stood out.

I almost always tip gas attendants, if they have a good attitude, I give them 5$ at least, they don’t make great money, deal with jackasses every day, and I appreciate someone in that environment who still maintains a good attitude… especially during Covid stuff, the guys who still went to work, I want to show my appreciation for their integrity keeping the country alive by working when so many sat on their ass as government beneficiaries, and those same lame asses wouldn’t come back to work unless they were paid more… it’s still going on, nobody wants to work, yet they want the country to function…

I tip when I see fit, even if it’s not work that’s traditionally tipped, I appreciate work ethic and good attitude, and it’s becoming pretty rare, so I like to express my appreciation and respect, tipping is a universal way to do that

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I tip my taxi by letting him come out and kill coyotes on the ranches I control he's a yote killing machine. He seems happy with that and so am I.

Never have tipped. Between my dad and my self we've used the same taxidermist for 20 years I think that alone says enough about his work paying the man on time and getting your animals in a reasonable time when he calls and says they are done I think goes farther than throwing him a few extra bucks

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Ive given mine nice pieces of drift wood or other habitat material Ive found that would be useful to him hes always been more than happy to have it.