Tip suggestion: seated shots?

Lawnboi

WKR
Trekking pole front, lightweight tripod rear, off a leg like mentioned above is probably going to be the most stable.

I’m also a tripod fan, but it’s a tool that takes a bit to deploy. You can utilize your lightweight tripod very effectively as a rear support if you have something to provide a rest on the front of your rifle.

Lots of options for this, trekking poles and packs, tripod, bipod/tripod, pack/tripod, brush/tripod. Go experiment.

I also dislike shooting seated unless I’m shooting down hill. I’m a semi flexible guy and have a hard time being very table and comfortable seated. For most seated height shots I will use a low kneeling position with a wide stance and trigger hand supported by my right thigh/knee.

Could use trekking pole with your tall bipod as well. Grip pole with offhand at needed height.
Not going to get you way out there but fast and good enough out to 4-500 I'd say. 20230611_074652.jpg

Reactions: XLR

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Try practicing with your back against a tree or large rock as well. I’ve killed two deer the last two days seated with my back against a tree. No pack needed for those shots.

Use your off hand/arm resting on your knee/quad to help stabilize. Move your leg to adjust sight picture not your arm. Move your thumb and finger to firing position as you take the safety off (don’t wrap your thumb back around the stock for grip, keep it on top of the stock in the position where you took it off safe, thumb towards target).

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Try practicing with your back against a tree or large rock as well. I’ve killed two deer the last two days seated with my back against a tree. No pack needed for those shots.

Use your off hand/arm resting on your knee/quad to help stabilize. Move your leg to adjust sight picture not your arm. Move your thumb and finger to firing position as you take the safety off (don’t wrap your thumb back around the stock for grip, keep it on top of the stock in the position where you took it off safe, thumb towards target).
That’s exactly what I did.

In your picture above, what is your left hand holding onto it hard to tell in the picture because it’s dark

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
That’s exactly what I did.

In your picture above, what is your left hand holding onto it hard to tell in the picture because it’s dark

My “elbow pit” is pinching my offhand and helping stabilize the stock. Fine adjustments with the hand, main adjustments with the legs.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I’d say it is less of a gear requirement and more of a training requirement. Sure, gear helps, but not if you aren’t practicing with it. I hate tripods, I refuse to use them for anything. However, I have never had an issue with using a bipod/trekking poles and my pack. If the sagebrush was that tall, it is probably pretty dense so I might have tried to smash it down and use my pack on top of it. Try putting your buttstock on your bino harness next time and use it as your rear rest….

Just my two cents, not worth much.
I’m used my Bino harness as a rear rest multiple times. I did not think of trying to smash my pack down on top of the sage though. That actually might have worked.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Maybe this photo helps. Both elbows into legs. Legs and core do all the work stabilizing.

View attachment 623370
Yes, that’s exactly what I was doing, but also leaning up against my pack wedged into a big sagebrush also. Perfectly fine out to four maybe 450, at least at my level of skill, but I would like to increase that range maybe another couple hundred yards with better support.

brn2hnt

WKR
I've never thought of just using the tripod leg, going to have to give that some experimenting over the off season.

My total tripod setup is less than 3lbs I believe (slik w/outdoorsmans pan head) and I just flop a lightweight bag on top of the head and use crossed trekking poles with the straps creating a "saddle" of sorts. Has been very effective for a larger frame. Using a pack between my legs always makes me feel like my back hunches over worse than a turtle shell.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yes, that’s exactly what I was doing, but also leaning up against my pack wedged into a big sagebrush also. Perfectly fine out to four maybe 450, at least at my level of skill, but I would like to increase that range maybe another couple hundred yards with better support.

That’s a good distance for this position honestly. Going out past 500ish I would also incorporate the pack, have a tree or rock behind my back, etc.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
There is no way to setup any tripod as quickly as deploying a bipod like the Spartan. I can have the pack off, bipod on, ready to shoot in under 5 seconds every time. Get a timer out and see how long it takes you setup a tripod.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Don’t forget to practice chambering another round while maintaining a sight picture of the target or animal and maintaining the position. Seated shooting I see a lot of guys and gals come out of the scope to reload and then have to regather their position and sight on target. Sometimes the first shot is just the beginning with big game animals.

Practice multiple shots back to back from seated position on targets, coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, etc.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Don’t forget to practice chambering another round while maintaining a sight picture of the target or animal and maintaining the position. Seated shooting I see a lot of guys and gals come out of the scope to reload and then have to regather their position and sight on target. Sometimes the first shot is just the beginning with big game animals.

Practice multiple shots back to back from seated position on targets, coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, etc.
Definitely. That’s really hard on seated shots, especially uphill, and solo.

texag10

WKR
I've had good results with crossed trekking poles under the front of the rifle and my pack as a rear rest, took a few seconds to get the elevation exact with proper grip and pulling the rifle back into my shoulder, but very stable once there.

I've had good results with crossed trekking poles under the front of the rifle and my pack as a rear rest, took a few seconds to get the elevation exact with proper grip and pulling the rifle back into my shoulder, but very stable once there.

Those wiser precision quick stix make this super easy. Actually shot a bull off mine yesterday from the seared position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
The other positive of that tripod you’re already carrying in the rear is that spotting shots in a tripod rear position is near prone easy.

Those seated positions to me look insanely uncomfortable, using muscle to try to lean forward. Righties with right knee up, left down in a low kneeling I find much more stable and allow mainly bone on bone and a position that isn’t being held by muscles.

I do a lot of seated shooting off a tripod for coyotes. The thing that has helped me more is getting a relaxed position. Don’t have good posture. Slouch. Let your bones hold you not your muscles.

I think form mentioned it first. Use the tripod as your rear rest. It’s super easy and stable. And it can be a lightweight tripod. Keep using your bipod if you are happy with it and use your lightweight glassing tripod as your rear rest when you need to extend the distance.

Those seated positions to me look insanely uncomfortable, using muscle to try to lean forward. Righties with right knee up, left down in a low kneeling I find much more stable and allow mainly bone on bone and a position that isn’t being held by muscles.
You need to use the worst posture you can and slouch. The few pictures I saw posted I know there is zero way I could shoot accurately like that.