Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Ferris

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Exmark

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Grasshopper

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
Did you mean 1/2? I have a 725cc Kohler with a 42” deck which translates to 22hp for the 42”.

Also side question- my kohler has been fantastic and problem free for the last 5 years (I’m only cutting 1/2 an acre) but seems the Kawasaki swept the votes here. Is the Kawasaki that much more reliable or is it due to component availability?
sorry, you're right, 1/2 the hp of the deck cut width

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Ferris hands down. I have a lawncare business on the side, I have 2 ride ons and 2 stand on Ferris. The ride is fantastic with the suspension, cuts great, and the only issue I've had with any is bad caster bearings on one ride on.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve become a huge fan of Ferris the suspension combined with the articulating deck provides a more even cut when dealing with transitions or grade changes. It also makes it more difficult to scalp the yard from what I’ve experienced.

Everyone who uses a Ferris very rarely makes a jump to another brand. I’m particularly fond of their Z3x stand on. That machine handles hills extremely well.

WCB

WKR
Used to do landscaping and lawn care in the summer H.S. some college and then after. We used Exmark for large open areas...With 6 of these things going all day 5 days a week all summer none of them had major issues that I can remember. Hydro issues now and then and belts but can't blame that on the machine when you have a bunch of teenagers and 20yr olds beating the ever loving hell out of them day in and day out. We also took on some pretty sketchy hills and terrain with them.

We also used to use Walker mowers with the bins on them. Guys used to get them spinning so fast in a circle the bin would flip up, door would open and leaves and grass would be throwing every where hahaha those were the days. bunch of knuckle heads.

Did you mean 1/2? I have a 725cc Kohler with a 42” deck which translates to 22hp for the 42”.

Also side question- my kohler has been fantastic and problem free for the last 5 years (I’m only cutting 1/2 an acre) but seems the Kawasaki swept the votes here. Is the Kawasaki that much more reliable or is it due to component availability?
No. It’s not that much more reliable. It’s just the benchmark for reliability.

Trial153

WKR
Xmark, when I had one it was super reliable. No issues at at. Used it for five or six years and sold it to a landscaper, couldn’t believe the offer he gave for it.

elkguide

WKR
Currently running Hustler and Ferris. (Previously John Deere. Wouldn't go back.)
Of the two that I have, the Hustler is a lot more maneuverable, and less twitchy, than the Ferris and if you cut your lawn with any dew/moisture, the Ferris will clump or stripe.
Definitely the biggest factor for me lies in the dealership. While other than a few little things on either of the machines that I'm running now, I haven't needed their service but they both have huge parts inventories. Other brands around here not so much.
Toro owns eXmark. Biggest difference is that Toro uses a welded deck while eXmark has a stamped deck with welded support.

Do NOT buy any mower that isn't commercial grade!!!!

I don't have any personal experience with the brands mentioned by the op, but I did look at them before buying my current mower.... I ended up with the John Deere Z915E 54" and couldn't be happier.. I had a JD lawn tractor and ran it for 22 years without ever even changing a belt.. It had the Kawasaki engine and I totally agree that they are great engines.. Keep the oil changed and they run forever.. I've been running the Z915E for six years now with zero issues... The dealer network is extensive and I think they make a quality product, although I'd stay away from the machines sold through Lowes, etc.. I'd deal with a dealer only and go for a commercial grade machine.. All the best and good luch with your choice, there are a lot of good machines to pick from..

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Scag.

I think you need to add Scag to your list for consideration and then decide to rule them out (maybe proximity to dealer is too much to overcome) but your list does not feel complete without them. IMO Scag is the only way to go if you are looking for heavy use around the farm / commercial use.

LostArra

WKR
My Scag Turf Tiger lasted 24 years. (Kawasaki and 61" deck). I live on 20 acres. 3-6 acres mowed as "lawn" with occasional touch up of 3D course trails.. Brush hog the rest.

I replaced it with another Scag but not the Turf Tiger as there are more big Scag commercial models available than in 1999. I got the Tiger Cat II with Kawaaki which is still an upgrade from my 1999 Turf Tiger especially the seat. The only other mower I considered just for a moment was the Grasshopper which was carried by the same dealer.

When I mentioned the Grasshopper my wife who helps with the mowing says : "we had a Scag with Kawasaki for 24 years, why are we looking at something else???" I hate it when she's right.

Cheesy

FNG
I have no recent experience, but I have a 2004 model year Exmark I bought used in 2010 from a landscaper buddy that was getting out of mowing. I have beat the utter living crap out of that mower living on a rock patch, using it as a brush hog, rolled it in a ditch once, and it just keeps on fighting on. Finally had to use the local dealer for service last week as I had an electrical gremlin. $700 later with all new belts, couple new pulleys, oils changed, filters changed, some adjustments, found the chafed wire, and we are back to beating the crap out of it.

I've read on multiple other forums that flip a coin and buy by the pound, the heaviest mower you can afford. They're basically all using the same motors/hydrostats anyway and everybody is really putting out a good product, so choose the color you want and go.

I’ve had a exmark, toro, and a wright over the last 30 years. The wright is the best out of the three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a bunch of them. I really like my job deer’s 935’s. I also really like my ex marks. I’m switching to kubota due to better service in my area.