Tikka vs Christensen

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a new elk rifle in 7mm rem mag. I currently own a Christensen Mesa in .308 and it has proven to be a good investment. My first impulse is to buy another Christensen but the Tikka T3X would save me some cash and make it easier to spend more on optics sooner. I'm also hesitant to have the same gun in two different calibers that look identical (I realize I could have different optics/slings to differentiate). My priorities are general durability/weather proof-ness and accuracy. Both of these manufacturers seem to be on equal footing in these regards. I read about people swapping several components on their Tikkas after buying which seems like it would cancel out any savings, are these bad components or people just tinkering? I've shouldered both rifles and am on the fence. Any input?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tikka changes are simply just tinkering and mods….I’m runNing a stock 7mm I bought in 2003….zero failures of any type only issue is the stock shows it has been used a lot 🤙 it is my only hunting rifle for everything

Ricard13

FNG
I run a lot of Tikka’s. They are incredible for a factory gun. If you get bored down the road then throw it is a stock or chassis. They are fantastic right from the factory and have some of the smoothest actions out there.
I have close friends that have had some pretty big issues with Christensen guns, so I personally stay away from them.

JakeSCH

WKR
Things to consider when comparing them

- Shooting mono's? (CA has faster twist barrel 1-9 vs 1-9.5)
- CA has longer mag box for reloading
- Tikka has detachable mag
- Tons of great after market mods for both
- Tikka's barrels tend to heat faster and POI (due to heat) changes sooner
- Tikka is considerably lighter (most likely about 1 lb lighter than Mesa in 7 Rem Mag)
- Tikka stock and bottom metal are plastic, not ideal for 0 degree weather
- Easier to swap out tikka barrels without a gunsmith
- Tikka T3X will have more felt recoil (stock design, no muzzle brake)
- CA has QC issues (more so on ridgelines??)
- All my mesa's (300 WM, 6.5 PRC) and tikka's (308 Win, 30-06) have been able to shoot sub half moa or better with hand loads

One thing to note, I was assuming T3x lite SS. I do not have experience with Roughtech or Veil models

For having 2 Mesa's that look the same, I would probably go with burnt bronze in one and black / grey with the other.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I would go Tikka over Christiansen but wouldn't go Tikka in that caliber if you reload given the 9.5 twist and short mags.

Tikka all day if you just shoot factory ammo.

Nothing needs changed on the tikka except for the recoil pad and lightening the trigger as low as it will go with factory spring.

Sportsmans has the superlites on sale right now.

Lawnboi

WKR
Had both. Wouldn’t give Christensen anymore money, actually traded the CA for a tikka.

Anyways tikka isn’t the best option if you need longer mag boxes or fast twist(only some now)

That said I wouldn’t buy a CA even if I wanted a long action cartridge. When it comes down to it, it’s a sloppy action, and a shit stock. Barrels are consumable.

1200 plus is now what I want to spend to gamble on another Christensen arms. Atleast if you get a dud tikka barrel the action still makes it worth it for a rebarrel.

Just one guys opinion

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
- Tikka's barrels tend to heat faster and POI (due to heat) changes sooner

Have shot at least 50 different Tikkas, and have never seen one that changed POI due to barrel heat. Lots of those rifles barrels were shot at times until skin would blister if touched.

- Tikka stock and bottom metal are plastic, not ideal for 0 degree weather

How is polymer not ideal for 0° weather?

OP
W

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like a Tikka is in my future.
I would go Tikka over Christiansen but wouldn't go Tikka in that caliber if you reload given the 9.5 twist and short mags.

Tikka all day if you just shoot factory ammo.

Nothing needs changed on the tikka except for the recoil pad and lightening the trigger as low as it will go with factory spring.

Sportsmans has the superlites on sale right now.
What is the issue with the recoil pad? Just too thin/inaffective?

I assume swapping out the trigger guard with something more resilient would be a simple upgrade? Figure I'll spend some time with the stock build and build a cheek rest before swapping the stock if needed

JakeSCH

WKR
Have shot at least 50 different Tikkas, and have never seen one that changed POI due to barrel heat. Lots of those rifles barrels were shot at times until skin would blister if touched.

How is polymer not ideal for 0° weather?

Really? It has been my experience that they tend to drift if you push them. They still group when hot, group just moves. It is not a big deal for a hunting rifle, but just stating things I've observed when comparing the two.

Polymer gets stiffer and more bridal when cold. The stock stiffness change will have some impact barrel harmonics (likely not enough to matter for hunting) and is more likely to break / shatter than a carbon fiber stock in those temps. Obviously it was take a fall hitting something hard to do that, but that happens on ice.

Again...it may not matter to the OP, but it should be a consideration for anyone hunting in extremely cold weather.

I like my two tikka's and they are solid rifles, but I was trying to take an approach of not pushing an agenda either way, but just giving things I've experienced since I have a couple of each. Neither rifle is perfect and both have pro's / con's.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like a Tikka is in my future.

What is the issue with the recoil pad? Just too thin/inaffective?

I assume swapping out the trigger guard with something more resilient would be a simple upgrade? Figure I'll spend some time with the stock build and build a cheek rest before swapping the stock if needed

7 mag in a light rifle will have you wanting a limbsaver recoil pad. Factory ones aren't exactly soft. Stock bottom metal (plastic) works just fine.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Really? It has been my experience that they tend to drift if you push them. They still group when hot, group just moves. It is not a big deal for a hunting rifle, but just stating things I've observed when comparing the two.

Yes. Not saying you haven’t seen it, but if you have, then you have rifles with problems. Did you remove the barrel bumps and they are fully free floated?

Properly stress relieved barrels do not walk. Sako barrels are properly stress relieved.

Polymer gets stiffer and more bridal when cold. The stock stiffness change will have some impact barrel harmonics (likely not enough to matter for hunting) and is more likely to break / shatter than a carbon fiber stock in those temps. Obviously it was take a fall hitting something hard to do that, but that happens on ice.

I’ve used Tikkas for what most would consider outright abuse down to below -20° for extended periods and have never seen an issue. They are designed and used in Finland…. It gets cold there. Are you saying that you’ve seen the trigger guard and stocks break in cold?