Tikka updating 300 wsm twist rate- 1-10”

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
It’s silly they need to sell the 1:11s first since I personally would have bought one if it was 1:10 instead of custom and I know other people who would buy one right now if it was 1:10.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
It’s silly they need to sell the 1:11s first since I personally would have bought one if it was 1:10 instead of custom and I know other people who would buy one right now if it was 1:10.
I agree fully. They could also discount them a bunch to move them. If the 1-11 I bought won’t shoot the heavier bullets I’ll re-barrel or stick to the 190-210 grain range which is probably where I would have ended up anyway.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I agree fully. They could also discount them a bunch to move them. If the 1-11 I bought won’t shoot the heavier bullets I’ll re-barrel or stick to the 190-210 grain range which is probably where I would have ended up anyway.
Since you already have the 1:11 I wouldn’t sweat it. You will probably be able to everything you want elevation dependent. It’s just right on the edge so if buying new everybody would rather have a 1:10. Just don’t push the limits of stability with a suppressor on while testing. I think a lot of bullets say they need a faster twist than they really do. Especially ones with polymer tips.

Edit: forgot a word

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I’m not going to sweat it very much. I was definitely overthinking it for a bit but talked myself off the ledge.

Unckebob

WKR

From a business perspective, selling off the old inventory at full price is better than having old, new stock laying around that you have to get rid of at a discount.

For people going with the 1-10, does the WSM magazine allow for long heavy bullets?

gerry35

WKR
From a business perspective, selling off the old inventory at full price is better than having old, new stock laying around that you have to get rid of at a discount.

For people going with the 1-10, does the WSM magazine allow for long heavy bullets?
The stock magazine is 2.9" but the 6.5 PRC mag works and is 3.07".

Unckebob

WKR
The stock magazine is 2.9" but the 6.5 PRC mag works and is 3.07".

I have the PRC and was hoping they would provide the new WSMs with a 6.5PRC length mag but the same size as the old ones. I don't like the extended mag my PRC came with.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider

Yes, with a long action bolt stop and Hell’s Canyon or Mountain Tactical magazine you can get out to 3.3”+ coal.

gerry35

WKR
I have the PRC and was hoping they would provide the new WSMs with a 6.5PRC length mag but the same size as the old ones. I don't like the extended mag my PRC came with.
Mine is a recently made gun and was the donor for my 6.8 Western. Maybe the new 1 in 10 guns will have a magazine with more room. Hopefully. I kept the 300 WSM barrel though and plan on getting a barrel vise and action wrench. Have dies and brass too already. I have had them before and have always thought they were the best of the 300's. Super easy to turn it into a 308 or 30-06 or load full power if you want too. To me the 190 gr ABLR would be where I would start first in the 1 in 11 twist.

Unckebob

WKR
Mine is a recently made gun and was the donor for my 6.8 Western. Maybe the new 1 in 10 guns will have a magazine with more room. Hopefully. I kept the 300 WSM barrel though and plan on getting a barrel vise and action wrench. Have dies and brass too already. I have had them before and have always thought they were the best of the 300's. Super easy to turn it into a 308 or 30-06 or load full power if you want too. To me the 190 gr ABLR would be where I would start first in the 1 in 11 twist.

I really wanted a 6.8W. I foresee a barrel swap down the road.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the 11". Slightly less pressure and more powder!

This cartridge should become more popular. Lapua announced they're making it and will be available this spring.

But guys around here seem to be too recoil sensitive anymore to handle such a cartridge 🤣
Haven’t you heard, 223 and 6UM are ideal elk cartridges. Since the elk won’t go down quick you can actually put it on a leash and walk it halfway back to the truck before it dies.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, with a long action bolt stop and Hell’s Canyon or Mountain Tactical magazine you can get out to 3.3”+ coal.
This is the way. Don’t even worry about the mag they come with unless you are shooting factory ammo.

gerry35

WKR
I really wanted a 6.8W. I foresee a barrel swap down the road.
I really like mine so far, I'm sure you will like it if you do.
If this was actually possible, it WOULD be the ideal elk/moose cartridge.
The old joke about shooting them "between the ruts, ruts made by your truck" come to mind!
Fast twist long action 270 wsm would be sweet too unless you only shoot factory ammo.
Considered this over the 6.8 W and would be a great choice too.

BjornF16

WKR
Before the winter cyclone bomb hits, went to the range with 208 ELD-Ms loaded up for pressure ladder. Temperature was 64° F at 600’ elevation (roughly 800’ DA).

Shot at 200 yards. MV varied between 2625 fps to 2840 fps using H4350. Target below (not shooting for groups; just looking at MV and pressure signs).

Looks like the 11” twist barrel stabilized the bullets. Didn’t see any oblong holes.

IMG_1469.jpeg