Tikka T3X Upgrades

btb1983

FNG
I purchased a Tikka T3X lite D18 with the true timber VSX stock, in 6.5 creedmoor, from Cabelas last year. I put a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 on it. I bought it to use as my whitetail gun. I live in Indiana and the properties I hunt yield shots from 10-200 yards. I have some extra cash and I’m wanting to know what upgrades you would make to the gun? Is it worth doing anything to it or take the extra money and buy a new rifle?

I would do a vertical grip and cheek riser if needed and save for a suppressor.

If budget allows, an aftermarket stock would be great.

I would take a bone stock Tikka suppressed over any chassis/stock shooting raw.

Your scope probably won't be reliable so upgrade that down the road when cash allows.

OP
B

btb1983

FNG
The first three answers all mentioned a scope upgrade. I was kinda talked into the scope I bought, by the guy at Cabelas. I was coming from my ol trusty 12guage with iron sights, that I’ve had since high school. I thought the scope I purchased was quality but I guess I was wrong! What scope would you guys recommend?

I would like to suppress it but im afraid the gun will be too long with a cam hanging off the end? I believe it is a 24” barrel.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a new rifle. (if you’re happy with the scope…way more magnification than you need).

The first three answers all mentioned a scope upgrade. I was kinda talked into the scope I bought, by the guy at Cabelas. I was coming from my ol trusty 12guage with iron sights, that I’ve had since high school. I thought the scope I purchased was quality but I guess I was wrong! What scope would you guys recommend?

I would like to suppress it but im afraid the gun will be too long with a cam hanging off the end? I believe it is a 24” barrel.

Chop it to 18" and thread it. Should be less than $200. You'll have more than enough velocity for under 500 yards.

Eric_F

FNG
No need to cut down since it's already threaded, only the unthreaded Lite profile needs that.

Scope depends on budget, how much are you thinking?

OP
B

btb1983

FNG
No need to cut down since it's already threaded, only the unthreaded Lite profile needs that.

Scope depends on budget, how much are you thinking?
I believe it has a 24” barrel. Won’t adding several more inches make it seem way to long?

I have a good amount of money to spend, I’m a buy once cry once type of person. I guess I got burned on my fist scope choice 🤣🤣

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
That’s a good rifle that you don’t need to fuss with honestly.

Ditch the scope, buy some UM Tikka rings, get a good quality scope that lasts, and follow @Formidilosus scope and action mounting system.

For scopes I can personally reccomend a few in very different price points. If I’m being honest, for whitetail and the yardages you mentioned… I’d buy a SWFA Fixed 6 and go practice with it. That’s what my wife uses on her Tikka .243 and she’s a whitetail slayer with that scope and rifle combo!

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Trigger spring. $10.00. Instantly improved my T3X. Stupidly easy install.
Mounts and rings - try the UM or go with NF/Warne MT
Scope as mentioned
Then figure out which ammo it likes and buy 1000 rds.

I’ve been in same situation and will decide on my ammo brand/gr after this weekend. Be afraid of the man with only 1 gun. Odds are he knows how to shoot it very well.

fmyth

WKR
Trigger spring. $10.00. Instantly improved my T3X. Stupidly easy install.
Mounts and rings - try the UM or go with NF/Warne MT
Scope as mentioned
Then figure out which ammo it likes and buy 1000 rds.

I’ve been in same situation and will decide on my ammo brand/gr after this weekend. Be afraid of the man with only 1 gun. Odds are he knows how to shoot it very well.
Why the trigger spring? I was able to adjust my T3x trigger down to 2.5lbs with the factory spring.