Tikka T3X D-18 at Cabelas?

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I hadn’t seen this model, I wish they did a 22” 6.5 creed (assuming measured with the brake) like they do a 308, 270, and 30-06 but one of those in either of those would work.
I’ve got a Veil Alpine in 270. They’re nice. But I feel you on wanting them in shorter barrel lengths.

For SS vs CM, the Veil line are ceracoated stainless. The original Roughtech are ceracoated chromoly. The Roughtech Ember is stainless.

Gila

WKR
This is not correct. Some are chromoly and some are SS. The veil cerakoted one is SS.
If you want SS you will need to get am Ember. Viell, Cabelas lite D-18 and the other RoughTech models are not SS actions or barrels. Sportmans has the SS Ember for less than Cabelas D-18. Personally, I like the Ember stock better than all of the others. It’s not really rough but not smooth. You can paint the stock if you don’t like the color. That would still come under the price of the D-18. I have an Ember stock but I really Ike the color so not going to paint it.

I don’t know anyone that has ever Cera-Koted a SS barrel. Flutes maybe to dress it up a bit. But if you want action and barrel with matching CeraKote why get Stainless?

Antares

WKR
For SS vs CM, the Veil line are ceracoated stainless. The original Roughtech are ceracoated chromoly. The Roughtech Ember is stainless.

Roughtechs aren't cerakoted. It's a nitride finish or something like it. Mine rusted like crazy so I cerakoted it. I think the cerakoting is the main difference in the price between the Roughtech and the Veils.

Gila

WKR
Is there any literature or something from Tikka that says that their cerakoted barrels actions are CM?
No but there is nothing to say they are stainless either. There is a Tikka video that introduces the Ember model as SS.

Gila

WKR
Roughtechs aren't cerakoted. It's a nitride finish or something like it. Mine rusted like crazy so I cerakoted it. I think the cerakoting is the main difference in the price between the Roughtech and the Veils.
I have an old T-3 from 20 years ago that is blued. It’s quality bluing that is shiny. Never had a problem with rust on the old style quality bluing. I have seen the coating on the other Roughtechs, looks cheap...

Gila

WKR
There’s not a gunsmith worth a damn installing a barrel that’s worth a damn for $600. Good cut rifled blanks are basically $400 now by time you pay tax and get it shipped. Any decent gunsmith is going to charge $350 to spin up the barrel and install it plus another $100 to thread the muzzle. That’s $850 with no action truing. I’ve been down the road of Tikkas with custom barrels before too.

It would be crazy to spend that on a Tikka when I can get an Origin action for $900 and prefits for $400-$500.

If I buy a Tikka it’s going to be in factory form or at most something that I have cut and threaded. Any more than that and it’s worth looking elsewhere because the value isn’t there.
I think the D-18 is a good value for what you get. If you put a pic rail on it and a high profile large belled scope you will probably need a cheek riser but other than that it is good solution. Cera-Kote is a good protective finish for regular barrel steel from what I have seen. I personally like the bead blasted matte finish on SS action and barrel myself. Tikka/Sako non-stainless barrel steel is very high quality, as they cold hammer forge the barrels which is unusual for a production gun. Of course Finnish Stainless Steel is legendary as being the best in the world.

MattB

WKR
I think peaches was talking about a suppressor. Many people have moved on from the muzzle brake.
I know he was, but my point was that he was overlooking the primary reason barrels are threaded. I’ve seen quite a few brakes on rifles in the field but never a suppressor.

No but there is nothing to say they are stainless either. There is a Tikka video that introduces the Ember model as SS.
Maybe Cabela's veil line is different. My brother has a veil he bought online that is clearly marked on the barrel stainless steel. I have also handled the veil line at Scheels and sportsman's and the barrels on those are marked stainless steel.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe Cabela's veil line is different. My brother has a veil he bought online that is clearly marked on the barrel stainless steel. I have also handled the veil line at Scheels and sportsman's and the barrels on those are marked stainless steel.

I thought all Veil’s are SS also.

OP
R
I think the D-18 is a good value for what you get. If you put a pic rail on it and a high profile large belled scope you will probably need a cheek riser but other than that it is good solution. Cera-Kote is a good protective finish for regular barrel steel from what I have seen. I personally like the bead blasted matte finish on SS action and barrel myself. Tikka/Sako non-stainless barrel steel is very high quality, as they cold hammer forge the barrels which is unusual for a production gun. Of course Finnish Stainless Steel is legendary as being the best in the world.

I don’t want a non SS barrel Tikka, I’ve had them before and they’re slow barrels. The SS models don’t have that issue. Cerakoted SS is most ideal.

I’m going to go back to Cabelas and see if the barrel says SS or not since we have people insisting they are and are not.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t want a non SS barrel Tikka, I’ve had them before and they’re slow barrels. The SS models don’t have that issue. Cerakoted SS is most ideal.

I’m going to go back to Cabelas and see if the barrel says SS or not since we have people insisting they are and are not.
For what it’s worth, they say it’s a stainless barrel in the Q&A on Cabela’s site. Makes sense, as it’s the same list price as the Veil T3X models that also have SS barrels.

Sled

WKR

I have not found any differences in speeds with barrel material. Chambers can be cut differently and you can get rough rifling but nothing specific about the material....That is unless builders aren't changing out their tools on the CM barrels when they're worn.

I have one of these rifles, chambered in 7Mag. I won a $1000 gift card at work and figured that was the best thing to buy with it.
I didn’t look to see if the barrel is marked SS, but it definitely isn’t slow. I am getting very close to published velocities with every load I have chronoed so far, which as most people who reload can tell you, is not very normal.

OP
R
I have not found any differences in speeds with barrel material. Chambers can be cut differently and you can get rough rifling but nothing specific about the material....That is unless builders aren't changing out their tools on the CM barrels when they're worn.

I've had CM TIkka's, they are slow barrels. It's also talked about in the Tikka threads on snipers hide regularly that the CM barrels are slow.

OP
R
I have one of these rifles, chambered in 7Mag. I won a $1000 gift card at work and figured that was the best thing to buy with it.
I didn’t look to see if the barrel is marked SS, but it definitely isn’t slow. I am getting very close to published velocities with every load I have chronoed so far, which as most people who reload can tell you, is not very normal.

Can you check and see if your barrel says SS on the side?

Sled

WKR
I've had CM TIkka's, they are slow barrels. It's also talked about in the Tikka threads on snipers hide regularly that the CM barrels are slow.
Fwiw, the 270wsm and 7mm I had was SS and both were over 100fps off factory numbers with a 24" bbl. I've had over a dozen CM barrels from Tikka and haven't found any to be 100fps slow.

Sorry bud but my blued Tikka T3 308 shoots a 175 grain Federal TLR Edge 2660 FPS and 130 grain Barnes TTSX 3050 FPS.

Tell me again they are slow lol. What a crock of made up forum chit.

Attachments

• 59B03BD9-F6C8-4505-A7F1-28EC7DDA4606.png
    59B03BD9-F6C8-4505-A7F1-28EC7DDA4606.png
    814.1 KB · Views: 41
As a side note, I bought this week a blued Tikka T3x 6.5 CM for my 15 year old son for $650 brand new. It will be a shooter and half the price.

Gila

WKR
As a side note, I bought this week a blued Tikka T3x 6.5 CM for my 15 year old son for $650 brand new. It will be a shooter and half the price.
He is going to be one happy young man! I bought my first Tikka T3 about 18 years ago. A blued 22” .270 win. Keep it wiped down and it will last forever.