Which combo would you choose for deer/elk/black bear

• .243 win/ 108 eldm

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • 6.5 creedmoor/130tmk

Votes: 41 56.9%

• Total voters

eric1115

WKR
To use the longer 108ish bullets in the 243 tikka, which magazine needs to be used and I would presume the bolt stop needs to be changed to a long action stop?

Thanks
I use the M+ mags and factory bolt stop to get all the COAL I need with my .243AI and 106TAP and 108ELDM's.

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Is m+ a rokslide term? When I Google for m+ mags I get all rokslide threads.

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
Between the two choices, I’d do a 6.5 CM in a the CTR model. I have the 20” .308 version and it’s the best rifle I’ve ever owned. And I’ve owned quite a few.

eric1115

WKR
Is m+ a rokslide term? When I Google for m+ mags I get all rokslide threads.
That's Tikka's designation.

"S" mags come with rifles chambered in .223 and accommodate about a 2.26 COAL

"M" mags are standard short action, included with rifles chambered in .308, .243, etc. and accommodate a 2.80ish" COAL

"M+" mags come with rifles chambered in 6.5CM and accommodate a 2.95ish" COAL

"L" (I believe) mags come with .30-06 length chamberings and I don't know or care what COAL they allow. 3.34ish maybe? 🙂

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
How much more brass life we talking? 200 pieces should get me through the life of a barrel in either chamber? Every 243 post I see people say "send it in to get ackleyed". I get it if changing barrels, but have a hard time seeing the point on a brand new $850 tikka.
Hard to drop close to the price of a new barrel to AI it. I figure shoot out my current one, then the new one might be AI or perhaps 6 SLR, or just Creedmoor.

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Man I really want tikka to make a 6mm creed with the 1-8 twist in a threaded 20” barrel… and then maven to make a 2-10x 40 power scope that is bomb proof to go with it…
That would be sweet… though I would add a manners stock to the equation.

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I want a 6CM, but it really does seem like the easy button to just get the 243 1/8, use m+ mags and call it a day… then shoot the barrel out, then go 6CM barrel.

The wildcatter spirit in me whispers “A.I. it, A.I. it….” But I would try to fight that. I’ve done enough wildcats I told myself it would have to be something real special to do it again…. But AI just seems so easy… haha.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's Tikka's designation.

"S" mags come with rifles chambered in .223 and accommodate about a 2.26 COAL

"M" mags are standard short action, included with rifles chambered in .308, .243, etc. and accommodate a 2.80ish" COAL

"M+" mags come with rifles chambered in 6.5CM and accommodate a 2.95ish" COAL

"L" (I believe) mags come with .30-06 length chamberings and I don't know or care what COAL they allow. 3.34ish maybe? 🙂
There is also the WSM magazine “SM” and a 4rd 6.5PRC one.

Mjay6k

FNG
I’ve had quite good luck with 130 and 95 tmks in 6.5 and 243. Shouldn’t have too much trouble finding ammo for either cartridge but the 6.5 would be a bit easier. I do seem to use my 243 more often than the 6.5 but it’s a toss-up honestly.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I want a 6CM, but it really does seem like the easy button to just get the 243 1/8, use m+ mags and call it a day… then shoot the barrel out, then go 6CM barrel.

The wildcatter spirit in me whispers “A.I. it, A.I. it….” But I would try to fight that. I’ve done enough wildcats I told myself it would have to be something real special to do it again…. But AI just seems so easy… haha.
This is true. I have a .308& 6.5cm tikka that are basically brand new in terms of round count and shoot great so that’s what’s keeping me from making the leap just yet, I get you can never have too many rifles but it’s getting hard to pick what will get the nod on a hunt. Which is a good problem to have

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
This is true. I have a .308& 6.5cm tikka that are basically brand new in terms of round count and shoot great so that’s what’s keeping me from making the leap just yet, I get you can never have too many rifles but it’s getting hard to pick what will get the nod on a hunt. Which is a good problem to have
Take off barrels and a few tools. Though, once cut/thread is added, take offs are no longer as cheap. $150-200 for barrel, $150 to cut/thread, $50 for adapter and thread protectors.

Cheap barrel vice $90, international action wrench $90, external action wrench $90, torque wrench, bottle of rockset $15, anti seize $5.