Tikka T3 Upgrades

jm1607

WKR
I don't want to spend a ton of money on my Tikka, otherwise I would have bought a Sako!

But, I have fluted the bolt and put a limbsaver recoil pad so far.. Are there any other smaller upgrades that are worth it? I was thinking about buying this kit or possibly just the lug without the screws:

http://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_LA_TIKKA_TUNING_KIT.htm

What do you guys think?

Anything else worth upgrading? Only other thing I have planned is to properly bed/float it and possibly chop a couple inches off the barrel..

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
I changed out my bolt handle and bolt shroud. Other than that, I am content for now. Once I get it scoped, I will see how bad the .300WM likes to kick my arse to see if I want a brake.

20150114_165345.jpg

Rob5589

WKR
I put the Tikkaperformance.com lugs in both of mine as well as Limbsaver pads. The TP bolt shrouds are supposedly a good upgrade as well, will probably do mine eventually.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't personally waste the money for the recoil lug unless it just came in one of the kits. The stock recoil lug will get marks in it over time, but it doesn't hurt anything in the slightest.

I really like that bolt handle with the carbon knob. I might have to get one for my new carbon barreled Tikka.

mt100gr.

WKR
I got the kit from Mountain Tactical. Heavy duty rail, recoil lug, recoil pad, and bolt shroud. I love the balance and handling of the rifle and am very happy with the manageability of the recoil. I wanted to avoid adding a brake and at just over 8 pounds, all up, it's really nice shooting. I got it in 7mmRM, by the way.

Rob5589

WKR
I wouldn't personally waste the money for the recoil lug unless it just came in one of the kits. The stock recoil lug will get marks in it over time, but it doesn't hurt anything in the slightest.

I really like that bolt handle with the carbon knob. I might have to get one for my new carbon barreled Tikka.

Don't want to waste money on the lug but, you'll buy a new bolt handle with CF knob? That is irony right there;):cool:

colonel00

WKR
Don't want to waste money on the lug but, you'll buy a new bolt handle with CF knob? That is irony right there;):cool:

Possibly, however I can see an immediate "need" to change out the bolt handle and knob if you want a larger knob or a swept handle. To me, replacing the lug is more of a "just in case" mod that you may never see a need or benefit from. Kinda like the bolt shroud replacement, even though I replaced mine more for the looks and personal touch thing :)

mt100gr.

WKR
Regardless of personal preferences and aesthetic touch, I love that Tikka rifles are so easily modified and that there are so many options for them at "reasonable" prices and so many styles to turn them into the rifle you desire. Or just shoot them stock and appreciate that Tikka sells them ready to do what any of us really need them to do. The more I handle and shoot mine, the happier I am that I went the Tikka route.

Cranny

Lil-Rokslider
Just purchased a t3 super lite in .308. Stock is off getting dipped in visa camo, bolt is off getting fluted (thanks to you colonel00 with letting us know about the group buy). Got a DNZ mount and a leupold vx2 2x7x33 with cds to put on it. Can't wait to get the parts back and shoot that thing.

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
I have seen where some have claimed that the stock plastic shroud has cracked over time. Personally I wasn't too worried about it but rather liked the streamlined look as it matches the lines of the receiver. Purely an aesthetic mod for me really. As I understand it, if you stay with the plastic shroud and it should crack and fail, the rifle should still function normally.

Richf

FNG
Curious who you all are using for the fluting of the bolt and the dipping of stocks?

Nuke Man

WKR

Here's mine. T3 lite stainless 300 win mag. Cerakote barrel and action and stock dipped in highlander. The main mods I suggest are picatinny rail and recoil pad. I left the stock recoil lug in mine just to see how it holds up. So far it's not distorted at all. Have 300 rounds through it now.