Tikka T3 7mm PRC

Little update on my build. I ended up going with mesa altitude stock, it is a 4 to 6 week lead time and I am two week into the wait. Barrel is at home along with Little bastard gen 2 muzzle break. The trigger will be the tikka trigger with no plans to upgrade. Glass will end up being nightforce nx8 with Hawkins long range hybrid rings if I can ever find a set. I will post pictures once the rifle is built and get some weights of it without glass. Hopefully this rifle will be a shooter with eld x factory ammo.
Can’t wait to see the final build and thoughts on it. I have a tikka 300wm I’m thinking hard about swapping over to 7prc.

trolson90

FNG
I'm jumping on the wagon and using my Tikka 300wm to build a 7PRC. I've got a 22" carbon barrel coming from Preferred Barrel Blanks and I'l be dropping it into an AG Composite Alpine stock. Still about 3 months out before barrel and stock are ready though. Gives me time to get my hands on some ammo.
I'm looking forward to see how everyone else's builds turn out.

VanDusen

FNG
Tikka action, Proof prefit, and Mesa Altitude stock is what I went with. I was lucky enough to already get my hands in 6 boxes of the ELDX. The 7mm PRC seem to feed fine out of the Tikka mags, but I’ll report back after the first range visit. The brown truck will be delivering the last parts I need this week to put this one together. Hopefully will get to shoot this thing in a couple weeks.

For the guys ordering a Proof prefit for a Tikka, I only see a 24" or 26" barrel. Do they offer shorter or what you see on the site it what you get? I wont ever have another barrel over 22" and preferably 20" so I am most likely going with Carbon 6 but was curious on the Proof.

Gila

WKR
Tikka action, Proof prefit, and Mesa Altitude stock is what I went with. I was lucky enough to already get my hands in 6 boxes of the ELDX. The 7mm PRC seem to feed fine out of the Tikka mags, but I’ll report back after the first range visit. The brown truck will be delivering the last parts I need this week to put this one together. Hopefully will get to shoot this thing in a couple weeks.
Factory ammo will feed perfectly fine in a long Tikka magazine. All factory ammo is required to be within SAMMI COAL specifications of up to 3.34” for the 7 PRC. The longest cartridge the Tikka mag will accept is 3.37”. The action itself is not a long action length, rather considered to be a “standard” length that will accept a maximum cartridge length of 3.5”. Very nice build by the way, it will be interesting to see how it shoots.

davsco

WKR
For the guys ordering a Proof prefit for a Tikka, I only see a 24" or 26" barrel. Do they offer shorter or what you see on the site it what you get? I wont ever have another barrel over 22" and preferably 20" so I am most likely going with Carbon 6 but was curious on the Proof.
i just see 24 and 26 on proof's site. can't hurt to ask if they can do shorter. but i'm trying a carbon6 at 22", ordered two weeks ago, in part because i wanted just a bit shorter than 24.

Little update on my build. I ended up going with mesa altitude stock, it is a 4 to 6 week lead time and I am two week into the wait. Barrel is at home along with Little bastard gen 2 muzzle break. The trigger will be the tikka trigger with no plans to upgrade. Glass will end up being nightforce nx8 with Hawkins long range hybrid rings if I can ever find a set. I will post pictures once the rifle is built and get some weights of it without glass. Hopefully this rifle will be a shooter with eld x factory ammo.
Sounds like a great set up. Please post up when you get it all together and some rounds downrange.

TxLite

WKR
Just finished my 18” carbonsix build on a Tikka. Took it to the range today and averaged 2748 with factory eldx. Waiting on my dies to come in but intend on shooting the 180 hybrids or 175 eh, depending on how things go. Anybody figure out jump on the 180’s yet in a factory Tikka mag?

SwiftShot

WKR
Any one build a Tikka T3 7mm PRC yet? I ordered a proof barrel and muzzle break. I have an older Tikka T3 in 7mm rem mag that will soon be a 7mm PRC and trying to get some ideas on a stock. Thinking about MDT HNT 26 folding Chassis for Tikka. If you have built one show off some pictures if you do not mid.
That is the one I am picking up soon. MDT HNTR 26 dolding stock.

VanDusen

FNG
Factory ammo will feed perfectly fine in a long Tikka magazine. All factory ammo is required to be within SAMMI COAL specifications of up to 3.34” for the 7 PRC. The longest cartridge the Tikka mag will accept is 3.37”. The action itself is not a long action length, rather considered to be a “standard” length that will accept a maximum cartridge length of 3.5”. Very nice build by the way, it will be interesting to see how it shoots.
Sent the first few down range yesterday, at 100 the last 3 were about an inch and I was set up off the back of a truck. This week will be making it to the range to see what it can do. AF988CE7-E91B-4A11-B6E1-E02A2CA4EF21.jpeg

Just finished my 18” carbonsix build on a Tikka. Took it to the range today and averaged 2748 with factory eldx. Waiting on my dies to come in but intend on shooting the 180 hybrids or 175 eh, depending on how things go. Anybody figure out jump on the 180’s yet in a factory Tikka mag?

LongRangeOnly has a 7 PRC cartridge guide showing COAL @ lands for a variety of bullets. 180 hybrid was around 3.45". 175 EH has about 0.050" shorter nose length IIRC than the 180 H.

Edit: I made assumptions about what the COAL images were showing, maybe @FURMAN can confirm if the COALs displayed are with boat tail at shoulder junction or touching lands.

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
LongRangeOnly has a 7 PRC cartridge guide showing COAL @ lands for a variety of bullets. 180 hybrid was around 3.45". 175 EH has about 0.050" shorter nose length IIRC than the 180 H.
Thanks. I looked at the cartridge guide a while back but missed (or forgot) that. I’ll go back and look at it again. So roughly .110 jump minimum with the factory Tikka mag and the 180.

Edit: unless I am misreading their article, the 3.45” they list is when the 180 has the bt seated at the shoulder/neck junction.

Edit 2: further down they show 3.433 was .023 jump.

Last edited:

jblanchrd

FNG
I built one with a 24" barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks. COAL on 175s @ 3.30 shooting .5" with
67g RL-26 @ 2970fps. Still playing with this load though. Will probably go up to 68g in .2g increments.69405203912__8991059E-20E1-4F18-95B1-A14698CC4072.jpg69405212656__18B2D6B4-41F8-40CE-A97D-9F4726188560.jpg69731357056__8612E524-8323-4241-AF21-33FAF09D4DDE.jpg

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka 7 Mag with a suppressor that still has some life left in it.

From my reading, it seems the 7 PRC can get away with a shorter barrel and push heavier bullets than the 7 mag.

Anyone seeing different? The ballistics I've seen show that tit for tat, the 7 PRC pushes the factory loads a little faster than the 7 mag. Curious if handloads would hold up the same.