Tikka T3 7mm PRC

Gila

WKR
I wouldn’t hold my breath. If Winchester, Browning won’t chamber for it, I doubt that Tikka will. I went out to MidwayUSA a few minutes ago and there were 15 different factory offerings from 7 or 8 ammo companies with 125-175 gr. bullets for the 7 REM MAG in stock! I doubt that all of those ammo choices will be available for the 7 PRC anytime soon. A Tikka T3 action isn’t the best to build a long action cartridge on because the action isn’t a long action, it is a “standard length action”. Tikka magazines are tight at 3.34”. Quite a few production rifles are limited to 3.4” mags as well. If all you are going to shoot is factory ammo, then you are stuck with SAAMI COAL spec of 3.34”. If you want to handload you will probably pull the bullet further out of the case and will exceed the SAMMI COAL.

Yes, you can change out bottom metal and run AICS mags but do you really want to? You could get a gunsmith to carve out the action to get 3.6” COAL, if that is your thing. I personally won’t hunt with AICS mags (been there, done that and it sucked!). The only rifle I want to shoot is the Tikka T3. Others around here have had issues hunting with AICS mags, I am not the only one. OP wants to drop into a chassis. The website gives the option for a MDT HNT 26 with a Tikka action that accepts LA AICS mags. It would be interesting to see how MDT is doing it. So far the chassis that I have seen will only accept a short action AICS mag for a Tikka action.

Well they built 6.5 creed and 6.5 prc right away I don’t know what would stop them from a 7prc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creedmoor was around for some years IIRC while tikka was doing 8 twist 260 rems and 6.5x55s and people were begging them to start on creedmoors. That was before social media popularity/hate and the manbun moniker though. Before lapua (and peterson, alpha) creedmoor brass. It was a least a year but i think more on the 6.5 PRC too. Still no 6 creedmoor.

2UP

WKR
I’m giving it a try. I ordered a CarbonSix 24” 1-8tw Barrel back in September. Putting it in a Manners EH1TK with Mountain Tactical Bottom metal and LA Magazines.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Im doing a 7PRC on a Defiance Anti-X action.

Im calling my gunsmith tomorrow to go over details, but I want a 24" Proof tube and a Wildcat stock. I havent looked at bottom metal yet.

I have a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag, but decided to just build a nice custom on a 700 platform.

davsco

WKR
7 PRC should work in a Tikka Magnum Long Action (7rm or 300wm caliber, of course with something like a proof carbon prefit barrel in 7prc), right? That magazine should be 3.370 internally. Hornady is showing a COAL of 3.265 for their 175 ELDX. Case diameter of .532, identical to 300 WinMag. So it should feed, shoot and eject fine unless I'm missing something, which is known to happen...

2UP

WKR
I got the shipping notice for mine from CarbonSix today. Now I get to wait on my Brass.

7 PRC should work in a Tikka Magnum Long Action (7rm or 300wm caliber, of course with something like a proof carbon prefit barrel in 7prc), right? That magazine should be 3.370 internally. Hornady is showing a COAL of 3.265 for their 175 ELDX. Case diameter of .532, identical to 300 WinMag. So it should feed, shoot and eject fine unless I'm missing something, which is known to happen...
It'll fit just fine in a Tikka, especially since it's designed to run heavy for caliber bullets at 3.3.

Of course some will always want to tinker, and for those there's easy enough ways to gain COAL on a Tikka; but a Tikka in 7 PRC will be GTG for long range hunting with factory ammo right out of the box. There might be slight gains in accuracy and or velocity to be had by running longer coal, but they're not likely to have a paradigm shifting influence on the ability to make good hits on big game sized targets.

Gila

WKR
From Ryan Furman at LongRangeOnly.com....he has already posted that it is okay to use his guide and accumulated load data here:

”The number one selling point of the PRC cartridges is the modern throat design. The 7 PRC’s freebore of .233” makes it very flexible. It is not too long for the shorter bearing surface 180s and not too short for the larger bullets like the 195 Berger. At SAAMI length, the 7mm PRC will fit inside the 3.4” magazine boxes of last century’s design in SAAMI form. With the larger bullets, it will exceed the 3.4” magazine, but will not need a Wyatt’s box.”

——————————————————————————————————————————————

As far as factory ammo, you will be stuck with three choices:
160 Hornady CX Outfitter ammo (very long low drag bullet optimized for the long throat)
175 gr. ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo (very long low drag bullet optimized for the long throat)
180 gr match (very long low drag bullet optimized for the long throat)

That is all you are going to get from Hornady. If you are going to handload, you will probably be ok (but not necessarily) with other brands of 175 gr low drag bullets that could reach the lands at SAAMI COAL spec of 3.34”. Anything heavier than 175 gr then all bets would be off though.

Ryan Furman accumulated some load data for other bullets:

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
As far as the MDT HNT 26 stock is concerned with a Tikka action it looks like you may be able to run a max COL of 3.5”. I would give MDT a call to verify that though. That means 190 gr and above low drag bullets will be too long to fit in the magazine. 185 gr is possible, but depends on how long the bullet is. If you want to load a cartridge that is longer than 3.5“ then no chassis. Will need to go to a conventional stock. And will need to use MountIan Tactical bottom metal. If you want to use a conventional stock and no chassis to run 3.5” OAL, Red Snake Tactical has a drop in bottom metal.

As previously stated, to use MT’s 3.6” AICS solution, you will need to have a gunsmith carve out the action:

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
With the saami freebore of .233” a Berger 180 vld looks like it will be around 3.39” touching lands based on handloads on the long range only cartridge guide. My facotory tikka mag loads up to 3.36” which would be .030” off lands in saami form. Mountain tactical mag can take the factory tikka up to 3.4”.

I am going to use go with .18” of freebore to chamber my 7mm prc to leave me with a little more room. With the shorter freebore to reach lands, I should be at 3.34” oal on the Berger 180 vld and 3.4” oal on the 180 hybrid both very manageable with either the factory mag or mountain tactical. I don’t plan on being any closer then .030” to the lands with hunting loads.

Last edited:

Unckebob

WKR
the tight tolerances make manufacturing difficult."

One of the reasons a lot of classic cartridges had so much tolerances built into their design was it made it easier to built rifles and make cartridges that were guaranteed to work together.

Tight tolerances mean it is easier to get a rifle that will bind on feeding. I would bet most of the people in that situation blame the rifle vs the ammo.

Any one build a Tikka T3 7mm PRC yet? I ordered a proof barrel and muzzle break. I have an older Tikka T3 in 7mm rem mag that will soon be a 7mm PRC and trying to get some ideas on a stock. Thinking about MDT HNT 26 folding Chassis for Tikka. If you have built one show off some pictures if you do not mid.
I am doing this exact build right now, im currently looking for a Tikka action. I will be putting it in a Mcmillan Game Warden 2.0

Im doing a 7PRC on a Defiance Anti-X action.

Im calling my gunsmith tomorrow to go over details, but I want a 24" Proof tube and a Wildcat stock. I havent looked at bottom metal yet.

I have a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag, but decided to just build a nice custom on a 700 platform.
thats going to be a sweet rifle, Im looking at either the defiance tenacity action or going tikka with a 24" proof in a McMillan gamer warden 2.0

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
thats going to be a sweet rifle, Im looking at either the defiance tenacity action or going tikka with a 24" proof in a McMillan gamer warden 2.0
I ended up going with a International Barrels 24" carbon barrel, 1:7.5" twist.

They are a Canadian company and had 15% off on boxing day, came in about $450-500 cheaper than a Proof and the Canadian F-Class team shoots International tubes.

OP
H

Hausser

FNG
Little update on my build. I ended up going with mesa altitude stock, it is a 4 to 6 week lead time and I am two week into the wait. Barrel is at home along with Little bastard gen 2 muzzle break. The trigger will be the tikka trigger with no plans to upgrade. Glass will end up being nightforce nx8 with Hawkins long range hybrid rings if I can ever find a set. I will post pictures once the rifle is built and get some weights of it without glass. Hopefully this rifle will be a shooter with eld x factory ammo.