Tikka T3 7mm PRC

Hausser

FNG
Any one build a Tikka T3 7mm PRC yet? I ordered a proof barrel and muzzle break. I have an older Tikka T3 in 7mm rem mag that will soon be a 7mm PRC and trying to get some ideas on a stock. Thinking about MDT HNT 26 folding Chassis for Tikka. If you have built one show off some pictures if you do not mid.

brushape

WKR
Following, I’m sure there’s a few but most people are probably still waiting on their prefits to be built

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hausser

FNG
Following, I’m sure there’s a few but most people are probably still waiting on their prefits to be built

Evolved ballistics had 2 prefits for tikka in stock. I am not sure as of right now.

Tangentially -- are we assuming by this point (or does anyone know) that Tikka does not intend to chamber rifles in 7mm PRC?

OP
H

Hausser

FNG
I have no clue, I am sure more companies will produce them in 7 prc mid next year. I had the tikka 7mm rem mag just sitting around in the safe, i decided to upgrade it. Now I just need a new stock and glass for it, still up in the air on which one to go with.

davsco

WKR
today i ordered a tikka long action LEFTY magnum action from jaoutdoors.com. thinking about going 7prc. looks like proof might have carbon prefits out around april. i have two similar rifles in mesa altitude stocks and my go that way for this one. may just go 6.5prc, not sure yet.

OP
H

Hausser

FNG
today i ordered a tikka long action LEFTY magnum action from jaoutdoors.com. thinking about going 7prc. looks like proof might have carbon prefits out around april. i have two similar rifles in mesa altitude stocks and my go that way for this one. may just go 6.5prc, not sure yet.
Evolved ballistics has 2 tikka pre fit barrels in stock right now for 7mm prc. They are 24”

OP
H

Hausser

FNG
It says it is but mine shipped today. Proof told me back in October that evolved ballistics were getting an order of them within two weeks.F71710B1-6105-44FA-B417-4686A27C7CD4.png

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
Any one build a Tikka T3 7mm PRC yet? I ordered a proof barrel and muzzle break. I have an older Tikka T3 in 7mm rem mag that will soon be a 7mm PRC and trying to get some ideas on a stock. Thinking about MDT HNT 26 folding Chassis for Tikka. If you have built one show off some pictures if you do not mid.
What are you using for bottom metal?

Well they built 6.5 creed and 6.5 prc right away I don’t know what would stop them from a 7prc

Conceivably, a bad experience building those 6.5 PRCs could stop them...

From Backfire's article on the 7mm PRC:

"I was somewhat surprised by the list of firearms manufacturers who are not yet jumping on board with the 7 PRC. Tikka, Browning, and Bergara are conspicuously missing from the list and yet they all chamber for the 6.5 PRC. Since this new cartridge has been announced, I’ve talked with my contacts at many of the major rifle manufacturers and have been surprised by how many of them are extremely frustrated with working on PRC chamberings in their rifles. There have been many changes to the reamer specs of the other PRC cartridges, and the tight tolerances make manufacturing difficult."

OP
H

Hausser

FNG
What are you planning to run for COAL?
Right now factory ammo. I have a set I dies for reloading. This tikka build is spur of the moment. I have never built or had a rifle built. I own 2 CA and one Cooper firearms and I have always just shot factory ammo.

Right now factory ammo. I have a set I dies for reloading. This tikka build is spur of the moment. I have never built or had a rifle built. I own 2 CA and one Cooper firearms and I have always just shot factory ammo.
I think you'll be well served by the 7 PRC in a Tikka. The 7prc was designed to shoot 175's @3.34, so it'll be a good fit with factory ammo.

Like others, I'm kind of surprised that Tikka isn't chambering it. Perhaps it's coming? I have a 7mm rem mag Tikka that will likely get made into a 7 PRC at some point when the barrel goes. Not that I'm displeased with the 7mm rem mag, but I like that the PRC is set up for heavies @ 3.34. Right now, my 7mm Tikka is set up for longer COAL with AICS mags. They work very well, but I don't always care to have a mag protruding down on rigs that get carried in hand a lot.

OP
H

Hausser

FNG
I’m real tempted to use a Tikka 300 wm I have sitting in the safe and swap it to a 7mm prc. Thinking of going with a 20” carbon six barrel and either a stockys stock or a folding chassis.
I am leaning towards MDT HNT 26 folding chassis

brushape

WKR
Conceivably, a bad experience building those 6.5 PRCs could stop them...

From Backfire's article on the 7mm PRC:

"I was somewhat surprised by the list of firearms manufacturers who are not yet jumping on board with the 7 PRC. Tikka, Browning, and Bergara are conspicuously missing from the list and yet they all chamber for the 6.5 PRC. Since this new cartridge has been announced, I’ve talked with my contacts at many of the major rifle manufacturers and have been surprised by how many of them are extremely frustrated with working on PRC chamberings in their rifles. There have been many changes to the reamer specs of the other PRC cartridges, and the tight tolerances make manufacturing difficult."

That is interesting I have noticed that there are more prc tikkas sitting on the shelf than any other chambering by far around here I think people are scared of the hard to get ammo