TIKKA Stainless - Phasing it out?

OP
U

Unckebob

WKR
1) Barrel life is a concern on bolt action rifles for the folks I shoot with, myself included. Ruger and Savage should be at the bottom of your list on this specific requirement. It sounds like you plan to barely ever shoot it?

2) and 3) None of the rifles you mentioned are a direct comparison or replacement for a Tikka. Having a Tikka barrel cut and threaded costs around $80 all in after shipping. The field requirements I mentioned above are not met by Savage, Howa, Ruger, or Weatherby. None of those brands make a rifle that lasts, maintains accuracy long term, and remains reliable in real world hunting/shooting applications (2) , mud, rain, dirt, snow, ice, etc). They make for acceptable rifles for folks who take them out of a safe a couple or handful of times per year and almost never shoot them.
1) I plan to shoot the crap out of it. I just don't think burning out a 223 barrel too quickly is a relevant consideration. I would simply buy a prefit barrel and swap it out myself.

2) I live and shoot in Texas. During my hunting trip last year in East Texas woods, it was like hunting in a wet sauna.
  • Snow and ice are never a factor.
  • Mud and rain, while possible, are frankly rare.
  • Dust and wind are a big issue in West Texas, but cleaning a rifle is easy.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
You guys are making me want to buy and horde Tikkas. I want to nitride a CroMoly.

The fancy Tikkas are a piss poor deal in my opinion. I don't even want to pay for the fluted barrel.

Prefer in what way?

I live in South Louisiana, so corrosion resistance is very important to me.

I live in Tennessee so I only deal with rain and humidity. I’ve never had a blued barrel rifle rust. I wipe down my firearms with a silicone cloth after each hunt. If rifle sits in the rain, I pulls the barreled action from stock and apply Birchwood Casey Barricade.

My stainless Tikka UPR got some rust spots after being in a quick shower and put in a gun bag for the 45 minute drive home.

I also prefer the look of a blued barrel with a black stock. It’s simple and low visibility.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Haha dude, you’re a smart guy. Certainly you understand that your buddy doing it for $60 is nowhere near the going rate for a cut/thread, right?
I’m just misinformed on it is all. What is the going rate? If someone was charging me over $200 for a cut and thread I’d leave the gun alone and shoot it haha.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I bought my blued 223 for $470. Just got dang lucky on a fire-sale.

I can't understand why anyone would pay more money for the cerakoted versions. Especially since Tikka has had some issues with the cerakote application.

Back when the T3x came out europtic was selling off the cabelas/bass pro floor model T3s. I got a blued 243 ~$330 iirc with a free badlands daypack tossed in (works fine for the kids). That was a heck of a deal.