Tikka Roughtech or Bergara Carbon Wilderness

Yfz04drt

FNG
Currently have a R700 5R in .308 with a 20" barrel. I love the gun but it is a hog with the scope and suppressor. I have it narrowed down to either a Tikka Roughtech with 20" barrel or a Bergara Carbon Wilderness in .308. I have a Tikka stainless in .243 and love the action but have always liked the R700 platforms. Main use will be a mixture of blind hunting and spot and stalking. Trying to stay under the $1200 range for rifle only. Thanks in advance for any help making my decision.

BKM

FNG
I’ve had a Bergara and a Tikka, I’d go tikka.

my Bergara was picky with ammo and my tikka will shoot almost anything I feed it under 1 1/2” 10 shot groups. That’s enough reason for me to stick with Tikka.

Bergara is a lesser rifle IMO. The QC seems to be hit or miss and more times than not a miss. If you do some digging on the web you find first hand stories of these issues.

Plus Tikka takes prefits and bergara does not. Tikka is a better option all the way around.

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
Just say no to Bergarbage. My shitty B14 drove me to buy a tikka. Haven’t looked back.

Also i hate that R700 bolts do not lock with the safety on. Mine would snag on brush and open up. Tikkas lock closed and are drop safe.

Plus they shoot better and actions are far superior.

OP
Y

Yfz04drt

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. I thought it would be a closer race but guess not!

As for building the 5R, I don't like the stock or the weight and don't want to go the route of changing everything. Will likely sell it to fund the new setup.

If I do the Tikka, I'll try the Roughtech stock out and see if I like it and maybe upgrade if I don't. Or use the stainless action off my .243 and do a pre fit carbon barrel in 308.

If I do the Tikka, I'll try the Roughtech stock out and see if I like it and maybe upgrade if I don't. Or use the stainless action off my .243 and do a pre fit carbon barrel in 308.
Why? What do you hope to accomplish with a 308 that your 243 wont do just as well? If you're on a budget, why would you waste that much $ on a carbon 308 barrel? You can probably buy an entire tikka 308 for the same price and it will probably shoot just as good.

Last edited:
OP
Y

Yfz04drt

FNG
I've got several guns that I never shoot, the .243 being one of them. I always tend to grab the .308 anytime I go to the range or go hunting. I grew up hunting with a .243 and know it's a good round but like the added power of the .308. The budget is more of if I bought one of the above guns to allow me to change things I don't like. I don't mind spending more if go the semi custom route to end up with what I like.

MatukaJoe

FNG
Tika but just because it's the Honda Civic of rifles and is really able to be kitted adjusted changed out with all sorts of aftermarket components.
Honestly I'll provide a contrast to everyone else here and say I've owned a Tika and I have two friends that have own tikas and all three of our rifles had QC issues. I'm sure guys will try to say I'm full of horse pucky but I can only tell you what I've seen. All three had issues and I won't be buying another Tika. Then again I'd prefer to spend my money on something that imo is nicer than either that bergara or Tika for the same cost.

Reactions: BCD
OP
Y

Yfz04drt

FNG
Tika but just because it's the Honda Civic of rifles and is really able to be kitted adjusted changed out with all sorts of aftermarket components.
Honestly I'll provide a contrast to everyone else here and say I've owned a Tika and I have two friends that have own tikas and all three of our rifles had QC issues. I'm sure guys will try to say I'm full of horse pucky but I can only tell you what I've seen. All three had issues and I won't be buying another Tika. Then again I'd prefer to spend my money on something that imo is nicer than either that bergara or Tika for the same cost.
I'm not closed minded to opening my options. I just know a little more about those 2 platforms. What route are you referring to? Feel free to pm me if it'll create a mess.

BCD

WKR
I don't understand the Tikka hype. I would never own one.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Definitely interested in a 800 dollar rifle that rivals tikkas value, can think of maybe one off the top of my head… what are you talking about here?

Antares

WKR

What Tikka QC issues have you seen? I'm interested to hear.