Tikka recoil

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting a Tikka in 6.5 cm or 7.08.
Seen some reviews that the Tikka seems to have more felt recoil than comparable rifles?
I know theses are light loads and I’m coming from a Tikka 30.06 and 45-70 lever gun as my main hunting rifles so an obvious improvement.

Anything to this??

These will be hunting rigs and I have easy access to a 400 yard range.

Also,looking at a Savage 110 and a Weatherby Vanguard, but I think 3 position safety would be strange.

Thanks!

hiker270

WKR
I have a Tikka 30-06 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. The recoil of the 6.5 is nothing compared to the 30-06.

davsco

WKR
tikka's are generally light and thus more felt recoil. if you are ok with the '06 then yes the creed and 7-08 will kick less. limbsaver recoil bad def helps. a brake really helps also though there isn't a whole lot of meat at the end of their thin barrels.

This is a sample size of two T3Xs and a single individual:

The felt recoil on my T3X in 6.5 CM is mild. The felt recoil on my T3X in 300 WM does not live up to the hype; it is there but it neither crushes every bone in your body nor sends you flying.

A lot of the horror stories are from folks shooting either the 7mm RM or 300 WM in the T3(X) and coming to the realization that their recoil tolerance is nowhere near the level that they thought it was.

I’m an extremely recoil averse shooter and was pleasantly surprised with how mild my Kimber Montana 308 shot.

To me it felt no worse than 2.5-3 pound heavier 308 I had previously and sold.

My Tikka superlite in 308 is has a stout kick in my opinion. I put a bull 6.5 CM barrel on it with a brake for target shooting and it barely moves. It's all about the weight.

sdupontjr

WKR
My Tikka superlite in 308 is has a stout kick in my opinion. I put a bull 6.5 CM barrel on it with a brake for target shooting and it barely moves. It's all about the weight.

x2, my Tikka T3 308 does kick more than my other 308's which are heavier. I also noticed that due to its felt recoil, I had to change some things I was doing shooting wise to accommodate for the lite rifle. Being I'm right handed, the lite Tikka would kick off the the left. I'm still getting use to it after shooting heavier rifles all my life.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
My tikka t3x superlite in 6.5cm with a limbsaver pad has light recoil and is a pleasure to shoot 30+ rounds in one range visit.

The t3x lite in 30-06 with limbsaver pad is the exact opposite, after 6 rounds I'm ready to put it back in the case and keep shooting the 6.5.

Macintosh

WKR
Its the same rifle as your 3006, so 7-08 will recoil significantly less, and the 6.5 a bit less than that…given that the geometry is identical, plug it into a recoil calculator and you can even put a number to it and make a direct comparison.
I have always thought tikkas were pretty good in the percieved recoil department compared to other similar weight rifles with similar sporter-style stocks. Maybe not the best, but certainly far from the worst. I hate brakes but it does make shooting in any kind of volume a lot more pleasant, it helps avoid some of the long-term cumulative recoil problems some people develop (look how many old trap shooters need a release trigger and ask them why), and it really helps to spot your own shots. Frankly, its really nice to shoot and will help even in a low-recoiling cartridge.

Outwest

WKR
Yes, I have a T3X Superlite in 308 along with another 308 and a 7mm08 in different makes and the Tikka outkicks them both. But, its a 7# rig so I expected it.

Like others have said, the rifle has a considerable jump but I have read that the stock recoil pad on the t3x will cause more jump than an aftermarket option. I haven't replaced mine yet to find out if there is any truth to that but I probably will before the summer.

Among my Tikkas I have a stainless T3 Lite and a Superlite, both in 7mm-08.

I grew up shooting 30-06 rifles, so I find the recoil of my Tikkas to be very mild.

Keep in mind the Superlite only weighs about 8 ounces less that the Lite.

All of my T3s have Limbsavers on them. The pad on the T3x is much better than the original pad on the T3 but not as good as a Limbsaver.

P

49ereric

WKR
Older lite weight savage (pre accu trigger)in 06 recoil was a bit much.
weatherby vanguard is just a Howa rifle decent factory trigger for hunting.
no tikka cuz still wearing out rifles.