Tikka Prefits Recommendations

If you’re wanting to increase your chances of having an accurate, non picky barrel, you usually get what you pay for. I’d highly recommend purchasing a higher end barrel and then having a custom shop make a prefit (unknown, straight jacket, etc). I’ve had C6, proof, and criterion prefits for Remington clones. Some shot great some did not. My bartleins from a smith as a whole shot better and were easier to find a load for.
I currently have an ace from unknown prefit for my tikka on order.
When looking at the cost difference, you need to look at the time and components used on a barrel that is not as accurate as you’d like.

If you’re wanting to increase your chances of having an accurate, non picky barrel, you usually get what you pay for. I’d highly recommend purchasing a higher end barrel and then having a custom shop make a prefit (unknown, straight jacket, etc). I’ve had C6, proof, and criterion prefits for Remington clones. Some shot great some did not. My bartleins from a smith as a whole shot better and were easier to find a load for.
When looking at the cost difference, you need to look at the time and components used on a barrel that is not as accurate as you’d like.
I generally agree with the get what you pay for statement, but I've been putting custom/ semi custom rifles together for over a decade, and having spent $1000 on plenty of barrels I honestly think the quality over the half dozen McGowens and several Criterions is negligible unless you're shooting BR maybe.
Anyone can produce a dud now and then, Bartlein seems to be putting out an unusually high number lately..

I shoot competitively, 300 rounds in a couple weeks is normal, and trust me if McGowen and Criterion didn't shoot or were finicky to load for I wouldn't waste my time.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

In general if we took eight barrels from eight quality barrel makers and had a good gunsmith chamber them up no one could tell the difference.

Everyone has their bias but there’s lots of good barrel makers out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Dan is no longer at McGowen. Gene is running both McGowen and Carbon 6. That should clean up any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah Dan was a PITA for sure.
Shout out to John Disney too, he got me squared away last week when I needed an expedited barrel for an upcoming match.
Awesome dude to deal with

kkp005

WKR
I’d save your time and money by staying away from Preferred. I sent a barreled action back to them for accuracy issues the 1st week of December and I’m still waiting to get it back. After getting charged the $100 for “accuracy testing” and paying for shipping I could have just gone with a more proven company.

I’d save your time and money by staying away from Preferred. I sent a barreled action back to them for accuracy issues the 1st week of December and I’m still waiting to get it back. After getting charged the $100 for “accuracy testing” and paying for shipping I could have just gone with a more proven company.

Just like with every other barrel maker, for every story like this, there is another one like this:

Here is the last group I shot on Saturday with my PBB Tikka prefit chambered in .338 Sherman Mega. It now has 175 rounds through it and pretty much everything shoots like this. Another point on this barrel is that the didn't have the reamer, but after a quick talk with them and an agreement to pay for the rental and a little bit extra to coordinate the rental for me, they agreed to go that route. They communicated with me the whole way in regards to the rental of the reamer and the barrel build.
IMG_3287.jpg

Here is a group from my MGM Contender barrel chambered in 6.5TCU. For people's reference Match Grade Machine is the company that PBB spun off from. Keep in mind this is a 13.5" handgun barrel.

IMG_1790.JPG

And to round things out, here is a group from a 10.5" MGM 7TCU Encore barrel.
P4270001.JPG

Needless to say, I am a fan of their ability to build barrels.

kkp005

WKR
Just like with every other barrel maker, for every story like this, there is another one like this:
Every other barrel maker charges $100 bucks for “accuracy” testing but then can’t get any additional info out of the “accuracy” tester because he’s a 3rd party guy and a supposed recluse ?…..

Every other barrel maker charges $100 bucks for “accuracy” testing but then can’t get any additional info out of the “accuracy” tester because he’s a 3rd party guy and a supposed recluse ?…..
I wasn’t implying that you didn’t have a bad experience, I was just pointing out that in a thread like this you will get a lot of “My sample size of one means this barrel maker is shit!” posts.

With that particular barrel maker, I have a sample size of a dozen and a few of them have been exceptional. The rest are between average and above average.

kkp005

WKR
I wasn’t implying that you didn’t have a bad experience, I was just pointing out that in a thread like this you will get a lot of “My sample size of one means this barrel maker is shit!” posts.

With that particular barrel maker, I have a sample size of a dozen and a few of them have been exceptional. The rest are between average and above average.
I hear ya.. You always risk having one that doesn’t shoot well, but it’s how the company handles it that will keep me coming back with more business

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've seen mixed reviews (more positive than negative, but it sucks when you're the negative ones...) for PBB but I rolled the dice and ordered one on black friday which is due about anytime now. I considered PVC but the cartridges offered in the sale didn't entice me at that time plus I wasn't clear about their tapers. Someone linked a different thread where PVA might make a more standardized lite contour which would be cool. For the PBB I ordered the lite hybrid threaded which follows a normal tikka light contour until the barrel hits .75" and then goes straight diameter to the muzzle.

Hope I'm one of the happy ones. *fingers crossed*

I have a 26” 6.5CM .900 .199FB PBB showing up today and it will be my second barrel from PBB (first is a 20” 6CM .750). I have had a McGowan (20” 300WSM) and an X-Caliber (18” 6.5CM) and still have a PVA (20” .223). Fortunately I was lucky with all of the manufactures and got what I considered to be average to above average barrels and the prefits all head-spaced. I bought the PBB that is being delivered today during the Black Friday sale and the main reasons I went with them again were ease of load development on the 6CM, barrel speed and perfect headspace. I had a buddy who ordered the same exact McGowan 300WSM barrel I ordered and his didn’t headspace and mine did. We took delivery and spun the barrels on the same week. I agree there are horror stories on virtually all the barrel makers and I cross my fingers I continue to get lucky. Currently I wouldn’t hesitate to order another PBB, PVA, X-Caliber and likely another McGowan now that Dan is gone. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the new PBB installed last night and it headspaced perfectly so I am 2/2 on PBB barrels headspacing. Hopefully I am 2/2 on them shooting! To clarify my statement above the PVA and X-Caliber I have are both barrel nut barrels.

OP
T
Got the new PBB installed last night and it headspaced perfectly so I am 2/2 on PBB barrels headspacing. Hopefully I am 2/2 on them shooting! To clarify my statement above the PVA and X-Caliber I have are both barrel nut barrels.

On the barrel nut barrels, did you have to inlet your stock a bit more to make it all fit/free float?

I’m running XLR chassis on the barrel nut barrels so can’t comment on that. I would go shouldered prefit on a traditional stock for function and looks but I’m sure you could make a barrel nut work just fine with some sandpaper wrapped around a socket.

There’s got to be a few on the shelf options for tikka’s out there. Especially 6.5 prc?