Tikka Nitriding

amassi

WKR
“Bolt lift” is the nothingestburger of nothing burgers.

This is why we can’t have nice things. They make a rifle that’s accurate, light, reliable and safe( won’t fire when you don’t want it to, will fire when you do) and people nit pick the force it takes to open the bolt.
There’s lots of “custom” 700 clones that have a much easier “bolt lift” but they’ll also fail to fire in a little dust or snow.

0- what is the number of game animals missed due to overly heavy bolt lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR

This is why we can’t have nice things. They make a rifle that’s accurate, light, reliable and safe( won’t fire when you don’t want it to, will fire when you do) and people nit pick the force it takes to open the bolt.
There’s lots of “custom” 700 clones that have a much easier “bolt lift” but they’ll also fail to fire in a little dust or snow.

0- what is the number of game animals missed due to overly heavy bolt lift

Only reason it’s looked at is big deal is game guns.

I would definitely benefit from less bolt lift shooting PRS.

amassi

WKR
Only reason it’s looked at is big deal is game guns.

I would definitely benefit from less bolt lift shooting PRS.

Interesting
I know nothing of PRS so I’m interested in how bolt lift would improve your scores or hinder your scores?

amassi

WKR
Not entirely true. Great-grandfather Alphonse missed a second shot at a buck in the fall of ’38 due to heavy bolt lift. He never got over it.

That was a savage 99 and the lever froze to the receiver

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
Not exactly the same. But my Blaser r8 stuff is all nitrided and I love it. Basically maintenance free.

Lawnboi

WKR
Interesting
I know nothing of PRS so I’m interested in how bolt lift would improve your scores or hinder your scores?

Being able to run the bolt fast without upsetting the rifle when balancing on a bag.

It’s doable with the tikka but I end up having to re level more than I would with a 90 degree.

It’s a game where sometimes seconds matter.

I've read rifle manufacturers and manufacturing engineer statements about how knowing the specific alloys and specifics of an action is important in getting nitride treatment correct to avoid compromising function/reliability/safety and test after nitride to confirm. My question is if anyone knows about how these aspects have been addressed by any entity that is nitride treating tikka actions?

I had the same questions running through my mind during my most recent Tikka project. I talked with a local shop that does all types of treatments/platings/coatings for the offshore oil and gas industry. They have had enough inquiries from hunters & competitive shooters over the years that they offer a "low temp" SBN/QPQ process for firearms parts. That was good enough for me. Just got the rifle back from the smith and will hopefully be mounting a scope and shooting later this week.

My first impression based on working the action is positive. The nitrided Tikka action is smother than factory stainless (and factory T3x stainless actions are very smooth). My other Tikka was cerakoted. I will not do that again... Less smooth, wears quickly. I actually gave them the bolt from that rifle and had them nitride it. It's smoother now.

Ryan's experience through 3 barrels with a nitrided 6 UM is reassuring.

OP
wind gypsy

I disagree. It's just another aspect of how an action operates that I notice. To me saying bolt lift doesn't matter is similar to saying resistance to binding doesn't matter. There are things a shooter can do to mitigate the effects of either but it's nice to not have to. Shooting tikkas back to back with a lone peak off less than great rests, one rifle gets moved off POA more upon bolt lift than the other. It's noticeable. I'm not saying it's the most important aspect at all. If heavier bolt lift results in more reliable ignition as I assume it does in many cases, i'll take the heavier bolt lift.

amassi

WKR
I disagree. It's just another aspect of how an action operates that I notice. To me saying bolt lift doesn't matter is similar to saying resistance to binding doesn't matter. There are things a shooter can do to mitigate the effects of either but it's nice to not have to. Shooting tikkas back to back with a lone peak off less than great rests, one rifle gets moved off POA more upon bolt lift than the other. It's noticeable. I'm not saying it's the most important aspect at all. If heavier bolt lift results in more reliable ignition as I assume it does in many cases, i'll take the heavier bolt lift.

It’s a non issue for me, I’ve never tracked reticle movement on bolt open because that’s not how I rack an action (violently) I also don’t shoot PRS.
So I’ll concede it might be a perceived issue for some folks and a legit issue for the sport of PRS it’s a non issue for me and a hunting rifle, my hunting style and agree I’ll take the heavier bolt lift and reliable ignition any day every day.

OP
wind gypsy
It’s a non issue for me, I’ve never tracked reticle movement on bolt open because that’s not how I rack an action (violently) I also don’t shoot PRS.
So I’ll concede it might be a perceived issue for some folks and a legit issue for the sport of PRS it’s a non issue for me and a hunting rifle, my hunting style and agree I’ll take the heavier bolt lift and reliable ignition any day every day.

Has nothing to do with racking an action violently. Unless your support hand is mitigating it, the force needed to open the bolt twists (cants) the rifle.

Reactions: NSI

atmat

WKR

No one is saying you should give up the benefits of a Tikka just because it’s bolt lift is heavier than ideals.

I love Tikkas and they’re all I own now. But I wish the bolt lift was a bit easier haha. It DOES cause me more cant when I’m racking than other actions. Thats all @wind gypsy and I are saying.

Reactions: NSI

amassi

WKR
Has nothing to do with racking an action violently. Unless your support hand is mitigating it, the force needed to open the bolt twists (cants) the rifle.

And this is not an issue I’ve ever noticed so… guess it’s not an issue for me. Like I’ve said thrice
Nothing burger, mouse turd et el.

amassi

WKR
No one is saying you should give up the benefits of a Tikka just because it’s bolt lift is heavier than ideals.

I love Tikkas and they’re all I own now. But I wish the bolt lift was a bit easier haha. It DOES cause me more cant when I’m racking than other actions. Thats all @wind gypsy and I are saying.

“Ideal”
Ideal for what?
Bolt opening canting your rifle is not an issue that needs mitigation