Tikka DIY Questions

Dragging this thread back up because one thing I missed; if I built a 7 SAUM on a long action what magazine do I use? Seems the short action mag would stop short of the bolt stop and the long action mag would be too narrow? Do I have to go aftermarket?

Hells canyon armory or mountain tactical both make long action SAUM/WSM specific mags.

Gila

WKR
I am building a 284 win on a TIKKA action with a match reamer that will have about the same free bore as the 7 SAUM. The case is a tad shorter on the 7 SAUM. With 180 VLDs my loads will probably be OAL 3.2 to 3.3. I have seen some load data for the 180 VLDS on the 7 SAUM that puts the COAL about the same: 3.2-3.3. I will be using the Tikka mags.

Gila

WKR
Hells canyon armory or mountain tactical both make long action SAUM/WSM specific mags.
I like MT bottom metal. Works well with the Tikka mags. Snaps right into the Tikka stock and is flawless in operation. The trigger housing is enlarged and the release button is stainless steel with a heavier spring, instead of plastic. Well worth the money IMO.

amassi

WKR
Dragging this thread back up because one thing I missed; if I built a 7 SAUM on a long action what magazine do I use? Seems the short action mag would stop short of the bolt stop and the long action mag would be too narrow? Do I have to go aftermarket?
The factory long action magazine works great and fits flush. The prc specific works great but is only currently available as an extended 4 round that protrudes

The factory long action magazine works great and fits flush. The prc specific works great but is only currently available as an extended 4 round that protrudes

When I first built my Tikka SAUM i was told the factory LA mags would likely not play nice with the fatter SAUM/WSM cases without modification. No problem with 6.5 PRC case because it's not as fat as the rebated rim SAUM/WSM cases.

Is this not the case?

OP
G
I meant too narrow for the SAUM case, if that wasn't clear. But sounds like the 7mm saum fits and feed well from the long action case from a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag?

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
I just dug into this for a new build and apparently the wsm cases have problems in standard factory Tikka LA magazines. Saum and belted mags fit fine.

Validated by trying wsm brass in a standard LA mag that feeds 300 wm fine.

Gila

WKR
When I first built my Tikka SAUM i was told the factory LA mags would likely not play nice with the fatter SAUM/WSM cases without modification. No problem with 6.5 PRC case because it's not as fat as the rebated rim SAUM/WSM cases.

Is this not the case?
I just dug into this for a new build and apparently the wsm cases have problems in standard factory Tikka LA magazines. Saum and belted mags fit fine.

Validated by trying wsm brass in a standard LA mag that feeds 300 wm fine.
You could also run a 6.5 PRC specific mag from Tikka - it has a COAL of 3.070

@J&A Outdoors has 2 in stock

The owner of JA Outdoors actually rebarreled one of his Tikkas to 7 SAUM. He uses the factory Tikka mags...He said that his customers who run 7 SAUM also use the factory Tikka mags....Good fellow to do business with by the way.

If the factory mag works with 7 SAUM, consider me irritated.

I purchased a used 300wm SL and had it shipped directly to HCA to be used to build a 7 saum. I was told that the factory mags wouldn't work well. So i bought a MT LA WSM mag that didn't work well either, had to push up on it to get it to pick up rounds. Then I bought a HCA mag that had too tight of springs that dented shoulders. HCA sent weaker springs out to fix it. I bought a second one. The HCA mags work well with the long bullets but now that i'm trying to use 145 lazers they don't feed worth a shit either. To top it off, i'm not sure HCA ever sent me the factory mag that was with the rifle. I'll need to dig more tonight to see if I can find it but don't really recall seeing it.

Last edited:
OP
G
The owner of JA Outdoors actually rebarreled one of his Tikkas to 7 SAUM. He uses the factory Tikka mags...He said that his customers who run 7 SAUM also use the factory Tikka mags....Good fellow to do business with by the way.
He uses the factory Long Action Mag?

amassi

WKR

Is this not the case?

I meant too narrow for the SAUM case, if that wasn't clear. But sounds like the 7mm saum fits and feed well from the long action case from a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag?
Nope my bad. I read prc and jumped the gun.
For the saum the hca/mtn tac really is the best option.

Gila

WKR
He uses the factory Long Action Mag?
Yes the long action, Tikka polymer factory mags that the 300 win mag uses.....WSMs are a wider case then the 7 SAUM. The 7 SAUM case base diameter is .536 where the WSM case base diameter is .555. The 300 win mag case base diameter is .513 but the SAUM case will fit The magazine.

Gila

WKR

I purchased a used 300wm SL and had it shipped directly to HCA to be used to build a 7 saum. I was told that the factory mags wouldn't work well. So i bought a MT LA WSM mag that didn't work well either, had to push up on it to get it to pick up rounds. Then I bought a HCA mag that had too tight of springs that dented shoulders. HCA sent weaker springs out to fix it. I bought a second one. The HCA mags work well with the long bullets but now that i'm trying to use 145 lazers they don't feed worth a shit either. To top it off, i'm not sure HCA ever sent me the factory mag that was with the rifle. I'll need to dig more tonight to see if I can find it but don't really recall seeing it.
I went with AICS bottom metal on my 300 win mag Tikka and spent an additional $300 on AICS mags. I had two 5 rd mags for the range and a 3rd mag for hunting. The 3 rd wouldn’t feed anything, so I played around with the feed lips and never could get it to feed. Then about a year after I had the two 5rd mags I went to the range and BOTH wouldn’t feed! Played with the feed lips on those and one fed sometimes the other wouldn’t feed anything. Hunting with those mags was an exercise in frustration and futility. So, I feel your pain...

[mention]wind gypsy [/mention] want to sell me the LA WSM mag? Currently building a 300wsm with LA bolt stop and long throat and just discovered the factory 300wm mag is too narrow. MT is out of stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbee

WKR
I read somewhere that you can take a dremel to or sand the inside of a long action (300 win mag) tikka magazine and use wsm and other fat cartridges. I started working on one but haven't quite completed it. Ended up buying a couple MT magazines. I lost one so maybe I'll continue with my project?