Tikka DIY Questions

I'm a tikka fan but have never built my own rifle. I understand all are the same long action with different bolts, bolt stops, bolt faces, and magazines.

Are there only 3 universal bolt faces?
  1. 223 Bolt Face (.384)
  2. 308 Standard Bolt face (.473)
  3. Magnum Bolt Face (.540)
Are the OEM magazines pretty universal too? Like are there only SA, LA, and WSM fat magazines?

Is that all there is to it?

Say I'd like to build these 3 rifles, what are my best donors?

280 AI
7 SAUM
7 PRC

Other good online resources for all these questions?

Thanks

You got it pretty we’ll figured.

3 bolt faces:
Standard
Magnum

3 bolt stops:
Short
Long

A short can be modified to allow a longer stroke or replaced

There are at least 5 mag sizes:
Short standard “M”
6.5 creed M+”
Short mag
Standard long
Magnum long.

I think long bolt stops and mags would be the best for all 3 you listed. The 280ai needing a standard bolt face and the last needing mag bolt faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSI

WKR
280 AI and 7PRC are both true long-action cartridges, and there's much benefit to running the 7SAUM in a LA as well. All Tikka actions are basically LAs, so you're in luck.

Assuming you're wanting a switch-barrel setup: You'll need to source a second bolt, regardless of what the donor rifle is. For example, a 300WM or 7mm Rem Mag donor rifle will be long action (which really just means you don't need to modify the bolt stop on the Tikka) with a magnum bolt face for your 7PRC and 7SAUM. But you'll still need to either buy a second donor rifle or find an elusive LRI/eBay bolt in a standard face for your 280AI.

Alternatively, you could pick up a 30'06 or 270 Tikka and source a magnum bolt elsewhere. Honestly I'd look on LRI/J&A/eBay now and whatever you can get a bolt for - buy a donor rifle in its opposite bolt face.

Hope that helps!
-J

Last edited:
OP
G
280 AI and 7PRC are both true long-action cartridges, and there's much benefit to running the 7SAUM in a LA as well. All Tikka actions are basically LAs, so you're in luck.

Assuming you're wanting a switch-barrel setup: You'll need to source a second bolt, regardless of what the donor rifle is. For example, a 300WM or 7mm Rem Mag donor rifle will be long action (which really just means you don't need to modify the bolt stop on the Tikka) with a magnum bolt face for your 7PRC and 7SAUM. But you'll still need to either buy a second donor rifle or find an elusive LRI/eBay bolt in a standard face for your 280AI.

Alternatively, you could pick up a 30'06 or 270 Tikka and source a magnum bolt elsewhere. Honestly I'd look on LRI/J&A/eBay now and whatever you can get a bolt for - buy a donor rifle in its opposite bolt face.

Hope that helps!
-J
That's helpful, took me a minute because I wasn't thinking swapping barrels between those 3, I just thought they'd be good examples to help me understand, and I would like to build ONE of those.

Reactions: NSI

Sankuh

FNG

Hope that helps!
-J
I have T3X in 7mm Rem Mag, with 7 PRC released, what all would need to be done other a barrel to convert to 7 PRC?

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
You will need to replace the bottom metal and go to AICS mags to seat the long heavy bullets properly. The max COAL for a Tikka mag is 3.34”.

Gila

WKR
I'm a tikka fan but have never built my own rifle. I understand all are the same long action with different bolts, bolt stops, bolt faces, and magazines.

Are there only 3 universal bolt faces?
  1. 223 Bolt Face (.384)
  2. 308 Standard Bolt face (.473)
  3. Magnum Bolt Face (.540)
Are the OEM magazines pretty universal too? Like are there only SA, LA, and WSM fat magazines?

Is that all there is to it?

Say I'd like to build these 3 rifles, what are my best donors?

280 AI
7 SAUM
7 PRC

Other good online resources for all these questions?

Thanks
7 SAUM is about at the limit of the Tikka T3x max COAL for the action. The other two cartridges are just too long for the Tikka action. All three are handloader territory. You can get bottom metal to run AICS mags whiich will eek out OAL to about 3.5” but there are action modification and magazine issues that you may or may not find worthwhile in a hunting rifle. I would opt for another type of action that is more suitable to the task to build on.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ll provide a counter argument.

I think based on the attached Hornady 7 PRC load data you should be fine with a 3.34” limit mag length. Especially if you are fine with 180class bullets. I’m guessing if you want to push 195s you may have more of an issue. But it will only cost you some speed (not more than 50fps over published).

They have OAL of 175eldx at 3.265”. 180s are 3.32”. Both will fit with a tad bit of room to chase lands. Can also get AICS Bm someday if needed.

Appears to best SAUM by at least 150fps. Depends if that is worth it to you (assuming they hit published….sounds like some are without issue).

Hope that helps.

Gila

WKR
You may be replying to someone else, but 7 saum is what I want to build!
I have a Tikka build going on this winter. It is a 7mm but none of the 7s mentioned above. Waiting on the barrel maker now. The action comes from a T3 I bought 20 years ago. The goal is to build a lightweight hunting rifle that is a pleasure to carry and to shoot. The challenge is to build for lower recoil and be able to push a 180 VLD out to long range. I won’t disclose the details yet, as I hope to unveil the build after I shoot some good groups....about 3 months from now.

Gila

WKR
I think this has been a very informative thread for those who want to build on the Tikka action. In the days of old, roman candle cases with a belt was all the rage. More recoil meant more velocity and power down range. Now we have new cartridges with short, fat cases that hold alot of powder for bullets that look like pencils. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll never give up my 300 win mag. I love shooting that rifle. Some of these new cartridges are a reloader’s dream though. But I just don’t see that the 7 PRC is the panacea of long range hunting that it is purported to be.

Gila

WKR
I’ll provide a counter argument.

I think based on the attached Hornady 7 PRC load data you should be fine with a 3.34” limit mag length. Especially if you are fine with 180class bullets. I’m guessing if you want to push 195s you may have more of an issue. But it will only cost you some speed (not more than 50fps over published).

They have OAL of 175eldx at 3.265”. 180s are 3.32”. Both will fit with a tad bit of room to chase lands. Can also get AICS Bm someday if needed.

Appears to best SAUM by at least 150fps. Depends if that is worth it to you (assuming they hit published….sounds like some are without issue).

Hope that helps.

Just want to point out that Hornady can’t chase accuracy nodes to seat the bullet and load out past 3.34” because of the MAX SAMMI COAL requirement. If you will notice there is a lack of “Real World” load data like group accuracy and consistency because the document in the link above is a marketing brochure. The comparison to be made should be with a 180 VLD which is the “standard” for long range 7mms. But as you can see, most of the desired loads exceed the Tikka mag clearance of 3.37”. The following load data is provided by Ryan Furman at: https://www.longrangeonly.com/7mm-prc-cartridge-guide/

Attachments

• 1669431811264.jpeg
    1669431811264.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 37

Tahoe1305

WKR
Just want to point out that Hornady can’t chase accuracy nodes to seat the bullet and load out past 3.34” because of the MAX SAMMI COAL requirement. If you will notice there is a lack of “Real World” load data like group accuracy and consistency because the document in the link above is a marketing brochure. The comparison to be made should be with a 180 VLD which is the “standard” for long range 7mms. But as you can see, most of the desired loads exceed the Tikka mag clearance of 3.37”. The following load data is provided by Ryan Furman at: https://www.longrangeonly.com/7mm-prc-cartridge-guide/
Agree there is limited data.

Disagree that is a marketing brochure. It’s a supplement to their 11th edition reloading book. Like they do for every new cartridge. I’d consider it as “accurate” as anything else in their book. They “likely” have those OALs based of SAAMI data and any limited testing they did to load dev.

Without a doubt folks will find their own loads based on their rifles and variations in throats, etc.

Agree that some may find better performance with longer COALs close to lands. But that doesn’t mean bullets jumping a bit based on published data and/or mag limitations won’t shoot well.

Time will tell!

NSI

WKR
Not everybody hand loads. As you know, the factory mag will feed factory 7 PRC. Re: handloadings other threads will evidence that there is a better than average chance an accuracy node can be found inside the TIKKA form factor. It may not be ideal. Few things are.

-J