Tikka DIY Questions

Gila

WKR
Not everybody hand loads. As you know, the factory mag will feed factory 7 PRC. Re: handloadings other threads will evidence that there is a better than average chance an accuracy node can be found inside the TIKKA form factor. It may not be ideal. Few things are.

-J
With the 175 ELDX it may be possible to get a handload that is accurate and consistent with a OAL inside of 3.34”. But I have not seen that occur yet. However the reloading data I provided above with 180s so far indicate and show otherwise. 180 and above cartridges that are accurate and consistent will not fit the Tikka magazine. The factory ammo obviously will fit the Tikka. That doesn’t mean that ammo will be accurate though. My first T3 was in .270 Win with a 22 inch barrel. I went through Winchester, Federal, Remington and Hornady ammo. About 200 rounds later I found a factory load that was consistently within 1” MOA. But that is typical of just about any production rifle that shoots well.

With a cartridge like this there will be production rifles that will shoot factory ammo like crap no matter what brand or load you shoot. But in any event it will be extremely limited which factory load will be accurate in any one production rifle. Gee, that is why we handload isn’t it? Finding an accuracy node is a “sweet spot” not a spectrum. Handloaded cartridges exceeding SAAMI COAL for long action cartridges is nothing new. In fact it is the norm not the exception. Some production rifles that use a DBM are limited to cartridges with a length under 3.4”. The Tikka mag is exceptionally tight with a max cartridge length of about 3.37”. For a Tikka we change out bottom metal and run AICS mags so we can feed cartridges between 3.5 and 3.6”. I personally do not care for hunting with an AICS mag.

Time will tell. But the truth is in the pudding as they say. I will only put my money on a sure bet though.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
With the 175 ELDX it may be possible to get a handload that is accurate and consistent with a OAL inside of 3.34”. But I have not seen that occur yet. However the reloading data I provided above with 180s so far indicate and show otherwise. 180 and above cartridges that are accurate and consistent will not fit the Tikka magazine. The factory ammo obviously will fit the Tikka. That doesn’t mean that ammo will be accurate though. My first T3 was in .270 Win with a 22 inch barrel. I went through Winchester, Federal, Remington and Hornady ammo. About 200 rounds later I found a factory load that was consistently within 1” MOA. But that is typical of just about any production rifle that shoots well.

With a cartridge like this there will be production rifles that will shoot factory ammo like crap no matter what brand or load you shoot. But in any event it will be extremely limited which factory load will be accurate in any one production rifle. Gee, that is why we handload isn’t it? Finding an accuracy node is a “sweet spot” not a spectrum. Handloaded cartridges exceeding SAAMI COAL for long action cartridges is nothing new. In fact it is the norm not the exception. Some production rifles that use a DBM are limited to cartridges with a length under 3.4”. The Tikka mag is exceptionally tight with a max cartridge length of about 3.37”. For a Tikka we change out bottom metal and run AICS mags so we can feed cartridges between 3.5 and 3.6”. I personally do not care for hunting with an AICS mag.

Time will tell. But the truth is in the pudding as they say. I will only put my money on a sure bet though.
Will the only bullets shot in the 7prc will be the 190 grains and above. Using the coals in the article that you shared, the 180 eldm’s and 180 vld h would be .010” off the lands at 3.37 oal of the factory tikka mag. Are you saying that’s not close enough to find an accurate load?

Last edited:

Rooggvc

WKR
You may be replying to someone else, but 7 saum is what I want to build!
I would double check component availability. I built a 7 Saum and ended up parting it out because I ran out of components. (Namely brass and suitable powder.)
I am currently putting together a 22 Creed, and I have locked down most of the components I need to reload before I order the barrel.

OP
G
I would double check component availability. I built a 7 Saum and ended up parting it out because I ran out of components. (Namely brass and suitable powder.)
I am currently putting together a 22 Creed, and I have locked down most of the components I need to reload before I order the barrel.
No doubt. I'm used to having a tough time with reloading supplies these past 3 years but the 7saum seems looks like extra credit. I thought if I could pick up brass I would proceed. Maybe I should rethink but it seems like an ideal short barrel (for suppressor) elk capable cartridge.

OP
G
Dragging this thread back up because one thing I missed; if I built a 7 SAUM on a long action what magazine do I use? Seems the short action mag would stop short of the bolt stop and the long action mag would be too narrow? Do I have to go aftermarket?

Rooggvc

WKR
Dragging this thread back up because one thing I missed; if I built a 7 SAUM on a long action what magazine do I use? Seems the short action mag would stop short of the bolt stop and the long action mag would be too narrow? Do I have to go aftermarket?
I ran a factory mag that came with a 7MAG. I didn’t have any issues running the 7 SAUM in it.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
If you run this setup on a Tikka you will have to fabricate some sort of spacer in that mag to limit 3.5", or have the action port milled out for it to feed properly. I think 3.5" is MAX for the factory port, so if you have a round scoot forward in the mag the nose will hang up and jam. Ask me how I know..

If you run this setup on a Tikka you will have to fabricate some sort of spacer in that mag to limit 3.5", or have the action port milled out for it to feed properly. I think 3.5" is MAX for the factory port, so if you have a round scoot forward in the mag the nose will hang up and jam. Ask me how I know..
Another member on here mentioned using a round file to releave the port restriction.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't know, what would I need for 168 lrx, 175 eldx, etc?
It will also depend on whether you use a SAAMI spec reamer, or one with more freebore for a long VLD style projectile. Godspeed finding SAUM brass though. Some people have been able to acquire Hornady 7PRC ammo already if you go that route. Typically a good custom chamber/barrel will shoot factory ammo well, especially the chamber design/ammo combo from the same manufacturer.

Gila

WKR
The Tikka T3x ”standard” length magazine is extremely tight as compared to other DBMs. But many factory rifle DBMs limit their “long action” COAL to around 3.4” Where the Tikka is tight at 3.34”. I thought I could stretch it to 3.37” but it is too tight to feed properly. I had to go down to 3.347” to fit. I am running a 300 win mag and stuffing a 200 gr. Eld-X. But i think you will be ok using the Tikka mag with the 7 SAUM. There is a lot of load data out there for the 7 SAUM. Some folks on this forum have done it I am sure. Try to find the max COAL. that is being loaded for the 180 VLD and that should be the longest load you would want to use. Some people want to park the bullet just short of the jam point. You will want to use a match reamer for a long throat to shoot the “heavies” and that puts the OGIVE way out there.

Gila

WKR
It will also depend on whether you use a SAAMI spec reamer, or one with more freebore for a long VLD style projectile. Godspeed finding SAUM brass though. Some people have been able to acquire Hornady 7PRC ammo already if you go that route. Typically a good custom chamber/barrel will shoot factory ammo well, especially the chamber design/ammo combo from the same manufacturer.
I just saw some 7 SAUM brass for sale on one of the “big“ on-line retailers. I honestly don’t remember where. ADG brass is out there.