Tikka barrel not fully floated?

colonel00

WKR
I recently picked up a T3 Superlite in 300WM. One thing I have noticed is that the barrel appears to not be completely floated as the "dollar bill test" fails as seen in the pics below. The initial blockage feels like it is directly under the barrel and some initial internet research mentions an intentional pressure point that is supposed to be there. Anyone here ever heard of this? Even the manual says "A slip of paper...should move easily between barrel and stock over the whole length of the barrel." It also looks to close in and touch the barrel as I progress from this first point towards the receiver. The third image shows where just a corner of the dollar is being pinched between the barrel and the stock.

My initial thought is to pull it apart and sand down the contact points but I figured I would get the input from those out there that are much more experienced. I know I can get a "better" stock but for now, I personally don't mind the feel of the stock...stock :) I think I should at least get it setup and shoot it with this stock before I make any judgments on whether I need to upgrade.

20141228_125209.jpg

20141228_125228.jpg

20141228_130239.jpg

Dammlm

FNG
If memory serves me correctly there is a molded in contact point in the stock in that general area. Somebody at Tikka must think it should be there. I replaced the stock on mine but if you want to run yours then I say shoot it and see what it does. I have read equal number of articles that argue the free float issue both ways. If it shoots terrible then try something different. Mine shot fine out of the factory stock. It now shoots even better when I put it in a Manners stock.

mt100gr.

WKR
Nice! Glad to hear you were able track down a Superlite. I am still setting things up on mine...waiting for parts. I can't wait to shoot it.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, I drove up to Des Moines last week or two weeks ago to hit the SW there. I have a couple things planned to add a personal touch. Still gonna be a while before I pick up a scope and get to shooting it.

Thanks for the replies YK and Dammim. I pulled the stock off today to check it out. I took some pics below in case someone in the future finds this thread. I also agree and I will hold off on any modifications until I get out and shoot it.

20141228_212007.jpg

20141228_212102.jpg

dotman

WKR
Man that barrel channel looks just like the sako A7 stocks barrel channel. Haven't researched the Tikal but the A7 stocks are known to have a week point in that design that is cracking stocks. If you keep that stock you may want to have it stabilized. Google terminal ballistics research, he has a write up on stabilizing plastic stocks.

The sako a7 has this same pressure point and wasn't fully floated even though it was claimed to be.

mt100gr.

WKR
dotman, do you have a link or any more info on the weak sako stocks? I'd like to look into this. Thanks.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, of all of the reading I have done of late. Aside from complaints of the stock being "plasticy" and perhaps having too much flex, I have yet to come across any comments about one breaking.

mt100gr.

WKR
Yeah, of all of the reading I have done of late. Aside from complaints of the stock being "plasticy" and perhaps having too much flex, I have yet to come across any comments about one breaking.
Same here. I have never heard/read mention of it.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
How does it shoot?

If directed to me, still hasn't been shot. I still need to pull the trigger on a scope. As I mentioned, I plan to shoot it to see how it does before any modifications. This is just one of those things that grows out of winter boredom.

Doing more reading tonight, I find it interesting that there are different descriptions of the pressure point(s) under the barrel. I have see people refer to it as bumps, "tits" or even YK says a "V". Perhaps they have changed the design over time? The best I can see is the obvious "U" shape that matches the barrel profile.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Ah, I see. Looks like the one you linked had a bipod attached. Based on this photo below, it looks like the stud was just in the plastic without any reinforcement around it.

index.php

Here is what it looks like on mine. It appears to have reinforcements on the sides to keep that post from tweaking. Plus, I currently don't plan on running a bipod. Still, good info to keep an eye on.

20141228_232632.jpg

dotman

WKR
I did do a quick google search on tikka stocks and looks like a few have cracked mainly when dropped and a few of the bolt shrouds have cracked. But I guess if that happens it would be a good time to upgrade your stock :)

Yeah that was just a quick search, I know a few years ago I found more without a bi-pod. But it's been awhile.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, much easier to swallow that $200-$600 pill if it is my only option :) Already ordered a replacement bolt shroud anyway. One of those personal touch things :D

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet rifle colonel! You will enjoy it, I'm sure. Like you are planning, I would just shoot it and see how it groups. I have never had an issue with the pressure point in the factory stocks before.

I just set up a Tikka super light 7mm mag for my dad yesterday. He went with the VX6 3-18x50 in Talley rings/bases. I will probably shoot it later today to brake the barrel in for him.

GKPrice

Banned
Tikka had a "famous" shotgun stock designer from Italy design the T3 stocks - that broken piece a few posts up looks sort of suspicious but the stock shell material is supposed to be darn tough so I am wondering if that broken stock had a short bipod attached in a big kicker ? - Since Sako and Tikka are actually "Beretta USA" it stands to reason that some A7 stocks would be made by the Tikka maker - PILLAR bed it and remove all doubt

16Bore

WKR
Don't touch a thing until you shoot it. I've busted the shroud myself, but only when replacing it with another anyway. The best one are from Hinterland in Australia. Just picked up a 1:8 twist 223 Superlite and think its going to be a hummer....

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, that is the shroud I ordered. I'm not overly concerned about the plastic one breaking but I'm getting bored while I wait to pull the trigger on a scope and get out shooting. I guess it is a form of cabin fever maybe.