Tikka Aftermarket Bolts - PR Precision

ljalberta

WKR
I was browsing for some local smiths and came across PR Precision. They are based in Canada but also ship international. I see they sell aftermarket bolts as well. Any chance anyone on here has tried one? If so, how was the fit and did it require much modification for head spacing?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Those looke nice. The same caveat about checking headspace goes for swapping factory bolts. I bet it is almost never a problem. I pulled a 243 barrel and put it on the cerakoted action of my 308 and it headspaced perfectly.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Keep in mind that is just the stripped bolt body so you're either stripping down your current bolt (in which case maybe just trade it) or buying the bolt assemble parts, firing pin, and shroud which adds a couple hundred. At which point just buying a rifle and just parting it out for the parts you want/don't want tends to make more sense in my mind.

I have one of his bolt bodies and it works great. He can do them in any bolt face you can dream of.

He works on everything and knows his craft. His attention to detail is top notch. He has an answer to every question and a solution to every problem.

Paul is a great dude and his work is as unquestionable as it gets. He could probably build you just about any rifle or part you want. Very far from your typical smith who works on 700s and bolts shit together maybe the odd bedding job or cerakote application.

Both custom cut rifled blanks I've sent him turn out half minute or better groups on demand, given a competent shooter and quality ammo.

Keep in mind that is just the stripped bolt body so you're either stripping down your current bolt (in which case maybe just trade it) or buying the bolt assemble parts, firing pin, and shroud which adds a couple hundred. At which point just buying a rifle and just parting it out for the parts you want/don't want tends to make more sense in my mind.
You'd think that, but the time and effort it takes to strip a rifle down and actually get all the parts sold and cash in your bank isn't worth it vs paying for the part you actually want. You spend all that time and effort to theoretically save a couple hundred if it all goes according to plan. 200 bucks isn't shit.

What if the barrel requires a relief cut to get off ? Then it's worthless.
Or the factory stock sits for weeks because you think you'll get 100 bucks for a 20 dollar piece of plastic. Who actually wants just the empty receiver, and trigger?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You'd think that, but the time and effort it takes to strip a rifle down and actually get all the parts sold and cash in your bank isn't worth it vs paying for the part you actually want. You spend all that time and effort to theoretically save a couple hundred if it all goes according to plan. 200 bucks isn't shit.

What if the barrel requires a relief cut to get off ? Then it's worthless.
Or the factory stock sits for weeks because you think you'll get 100 bucks for a 20 dollar piece of plastic. Who actually wants just the empty receiver, and trigger?
Suppose it depends why you want a bolt. If you damaged yours and just need a replacement body then this product certainly makes sense.

But you’re wanting a complete bolt to set up a rifle in a new caliber the value proposition of spending ~$500 on a bolt alone (once you buy the rest of the components) vs just getting the whole action and building on that new action seems to have more merit in my head. Unless you have zero need for the current bolt you have and planned to harvest components, but if that is the case why wouldn’t you trade it and save the money of buying the bolt body?

If needing an ARC bolt face or such that requires custom work then it also makes sense.

Am I missing something? Not being argumentative, I just am having a harder time envisioning the value case if this is merely swapping between standard and magnum bolt faces.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Suppose it depends why you want a bolt. If you damaged yours and just need a replacement body then this product certainly makes sense.

But you’re wanting a complete bolt to set up a rifle in a new caliber the value proposition of spending ~$500 on a bolt alone (once you buy the rest of the components) vs just getting the whole action and building on that new action seems to have more merit in my head. Unless you have zero need for the current bolt you have and planned to harvest components, but if that is the case why wouldn’t you trade it and save the money of buying the bolt body?

If needing an ARC bolt face or such that requires custom work then it also makes sense.

Am I missing something? Not being argumentative, I just am having a harder time envisioning the value case if this is merely swapping between standard and magnum bolt faces.

If you just needed the bolt you would be cheaper buying a gun. Taking the bolt and sending it back to beretta having a new one fitted and selling the whole gun.

max-x

FNG
Have one; they're great fit and finish

Turn time is good, comms are good, not much else to ask for.

Lumleys I think sells full 'bits kits' for the extractor ejector

the usa restricts imports and exports of firearms and firearm parts. canadians have a hell of a time getting stuff from the states i think this bolt will be the same.

medvedyt

WKR
the usa restricts imports and exports of firearms and firearm parts. canadians have a hell of a time getting stuff from the states i think this bolt will be the same.
it is doable to import gun or parts from usa to canada and canada to usa you need to follow some rules and apply for permits but nothing is free for that either.

it is doable to import gun or parts from usa to canada and canada to usa you need to follow some rules and apply for permits but nothing is free for that either.
It's doable yes just that The cost and paperwork make it not worth it. I could be wrong but it was explained to me you need a 2500 dollar a year license to be allowed to import/export and then 1-200 per permit for each item you do. The companies I've seen who do it for you charge 250ish so it will double the cost of that bolt.

medvedyt

WKR
yes doing on your own is way more complicated than it was. i imported from Usa in the past and it was not that complicated nor that expensive.

sometimes when you need something that you cannot get on your side money is not that important but i get your point.