Tikka 6MM ARC / 6.5 Grendel

I got my preferred prefit today and lucked out to find a smith with a wide open schedule today. I dropped off the new barrel and 223 barreled action around 11:30 and I received a phone call at 4:30 that it was done.

I picked it up and was able to run out this evening to shoot it a bit. The first 5 rounds (factory 108 eldm) scared me, shot over 3”. The next 5 (103 eldx factory) were right around 1” I then shot 2 5rd groups of 108 eldm, xbr and cci450 reloads and they shot .55” and .75” so I am thinking this combo may work out. I shot one more 5rd group of the factory 108s and they again shot over 3”, not sure what’s up with that but it does not appear to like the factory eldm ammo at all. I plan to shoot some more this weekend and hopefully get some velocity data too. I think it’s gonna be a fun little rifle.
E9F0B269-A161-4AC3-90D6-4643302D63BD.jpeg
BC8F11DD-A559-45D0-B8A3-E5EC88AB6EC9.jpeg

I am glad yours worked out. I ended up chickening out on this one, which wasn't the worst thing because a $1000 vet bill just came my way. If KRG ends up coming out with a lighter weight stock in the next year or two, I may give this another go. I look forward to seeing how Juan_ID's goes.

I am glad yours worked out. I ended up chickening out on this one, which wasn't the worst thing because a $1000 vet bill just came my way. If KRG ends up coming out with a lighter weight stock in the next year or two, I may give this another go. I look forward to seeing how Juan_ID's goes.
Sorry to hear about that vet bill, hope your animal is ok. I sure hope they do, but I’m debating getting another factory stock and a redsnake bottom metal to try out too. That’d shave a fair amount of weight off.

I hadn't thought about opening up a 223 bolt face. We can't get a stainless grendel or 6arc howa mini here in aus, only 223s come in stainless. Might consider opening up a howa mini 223 SS bolt face and rebarrel. Sub 5lb 6arc!

What is a viable bottom metal option for 6 ARC / 6.5 Grendel in a Stocky's VG2 stock?

I've got a Grendel setup in Savage that has loads of room in magazine; just contemplating if worth setting it up in Tikka

What is a viable bottom metal option for 6 ARC / 6.5 Grendel in a Stocky's VG2 stock?

I've got a Grendel setup in Savage that has loads of room in magazine; just contemplating if worth setting it up in Tikka
Sounding like just using the factory bottom metal and a waters rifleman mag may be the best bet. Magazines aren’t cheap but it would be more economical than buying an aics conversion bottom metal and aics mag

I still run this conversion through by head every once in a while, and it's still something I would like to pursue. Has anyone messed with a 223 CTR magazine to see if the 6ARC would work out of it?

I still run this conversion through by head every once in a while, and it's still something I would like to pursue. Has anyone messed with a 223 CTR magazine to see if the 6ARC would work out of it?
I have thought about the ctr stock and 223 mags since I sold the ctr stock I got with my 6.5 creed. Very tempting to try and find another stock and try a 223 mag since I think they’re almost identical in internal dimesions as the mdt 6 arc mags.

I aggressively opened the barrel channel on a factory t3x stock to fit the light Palma. Figure I’ll try and see if I can make something work, doubt it will with factory mags but I’m up for trying a ctr setup if need be. It’s only money right??
IMG_6264.jpeg

Last edited:
I am rooting for you to figure a factory mag option out. I still think it would be a stellar set up for my kids to run. Once I get through a couple of hunts I want to get a CTR stock and .223 mag. Worst case I build a .223 if the 6 ARC doesn't seem like it will function.

Last edited:
Very early on, but I got my hands on a 22-250 “M” mag and the 5-7 times I’ve loaded it it has fed every round 100% of the time. So only 15-20ish rounds through it without shooting but plan to put several mags through it this weekend and see if it fails to feed while shooting

So I stumbled onto this and ran down the rabbit hole. I am going to give this a try. I plan on using a CTR stock and buying the Atlasworxs bottom metal so I can run AICS magazines. I have a .223 that I can use so I will report back on how it goes when it's all done.

So I stumbled onto this and ran down the rabbit hole. I am going to give this a try. I plan on using a CTR stock and buying the Atlasworxs bottom metal so I can run AICS magazines. I have a .223 that I can use so I will report back on how it goes when it's all done.
Don’t know much of the atlasworx bottom metal but I’ve shot close to 1k rounds through mine in a krg bravo using a 10rd mdt aics dasher mag and it fed without issue in that setup.

Don’t know much of the atlasworx bottom metal but I’ve shot close to 1k rounds through mine in a krg bravo using a 10rd mdt aics dasher mag and it fed without issue in that setup.
What are the specs on your barrel? I am looking at Preferred. I can't decide between a 1/8 or 1/7.5. Which factory ammo has been the most accurate for you so far?

I have an Atlasworx CTR to AICS bottom metal on the way. I picked up a 6 ARC MDT metal magazine. The current plan is to have Kinport rifles open up the bolt face and turn the 10 round magazine into a 5 rounder.

Back