Tikka 6MM ARC / 6.5 Grendel

crich

WKR
Your awesome. Thanks for posting that. A Tikka 6 ARC running factory Tikka mags seems like a legitimate possibility. I could get a compact stock and have a sweet rig for the kids.
One of the discounted/unfinished stockys cut down to kiddo size would be sweet.

atmat

WKR
I spent a lot of time thinking about this exact dilemma for my Tikka. Ultimately I decided on a 6creed for the increased velocity and availability of factory ammo. The recoil is still super light — my daughters will shoot it when they come of age.

I really like a lot about the 6arc, particularly the barrel life. But to me it sort of fit in no man’s land.

Juan_ID

WKR
Your awesome. Thanks for posting that. A Tikka 6 ARC running factory Tikka mags seems like a legitimate possibility. I could get a compact stock and have a sweet rig for the kids.
I thought that too and tried cycling them with just my 6.5 bolt and they would not cycle. I think it had to do with the angle of the bullet tip and how long the bullet actually is. It kept wanting to bind up, I just figured aics was going to be easier so I didn’t mess with it too much.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Anyone know how 6 br feeds with factory (or aftermarket factory style) tikka mags?
I had a couple of guys on here who told me they were running a 6 Dasher in factory Tikka mags. I can't remember who they were though. That is another option I have been considering.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
I have considered them also. I have just heard alot of bad things about the magazines and bottom plastic. I know there are companies that make replacement hinged floor plate bottom metal for the mini's.

I have 3, I never had any issues with the plastic, I did however replace them with the BDL bottom metal.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I have 3, I never had any issues with the plastic, I did however replace them with the BDL bottom metal.
Do you happen to remember what company you went through for the bottom metal?

Oldffemt

WKR
I think a 10rnd 5.56 pmag fits 6 or 7 Grendel rounds with the standard follower. There is a x39 follower available.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Do you happen to remember what company you went through for the bottom metal?

I have all 3, the Oregon Gunsmithing BDL on a 223, LoLo Tactical bottom metal for the ARC and Jefferson Outdoors for the Grendel, I bought 2 used and the 223 new from Wayne. All three work flawlessly once installed, the 223 mag well was a bear to get seated, but I think that was the design of the mag well to keep the 223 rounds aligned.

I recommend them all.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know how 6 br feeds with factory (or aftermarket factory style) tikka mags?
My Tikka 22 BR is maybe 80% from a factory mag, which is a no-go for me. Been using a MDT BR mag that’s more like 97%, which is getting to the realm I can live with. Have head of success with some of the factory style aftermarket mags, but I’m reluctant to spend the funds to play “let’s find out”. Should just take it over to Mountain Tactical and try one out there.

My Tikka 22 BR is maybe 80% from a factory mag, which is a no-go for me. Been using a MDT BR mag that’s more like 97%, which is getting to the realm I can live with. Have head of success with some of the factory style aftermarket mags, but I’m reluctant to spend the funds to play “let’s find out”. Should just take it over to Mountain Tactical and try one out there.

The two mountain tactical mags Ive bought (223 and LA wsm) don’t feed reliably for me so I wouldn’t be optimistic. Would be nice to try if they are local though.

Like @Lawnboi, Id prob try the waters mags first just based off better results with the 10rd long coal 223 ones.

Last edited:
OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Well I am going to dive in on the 6 ARC. I have reached out to a couple of smiths to try and get the .223 bolt face opened up. I am going to try to run it in factory mags. It will be a couple months before it's done, but I will do an update here when it's done.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to hearing about it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this would be a great idea!

@Redbeard88 throw Justin linenbach of Kinport Peak Rifles into the discussion. He has opened up several tikka bolts - his work is darn hard to beat - with very good lead times.