Tikka 6MM ARC / 6.5 Grendel

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
@Redbeard88 throw Justin linenbach of Kinport Peak Rifles into the discussion. He has opened up several tikka bolts - his work is darn hard to beat - with very good lead times.
That is my plan. Thanks for putting his name out there.

The barrel is off the .223 and I am going to get the bolt sent off to Kinport Peak Rifles this week hopefully.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
That is my plan. Thanks for putting his name out there.

The barrel is off the .223 and I am going to get the bolt sent off to Kinport Peak Rifles this week hopefully.

The bolt is officially on it's way to Kinport Peak Rifles. Justin was very quick to respond back to my messages when I reached out to him.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Initial tinkering with Tikka mags and the 6 ARC isn’t too promising. In the factory .223 mags the cartridge just hits into the front of the mag or the feed ramp and the bolt slides over the cartridge.

In M+ mags, the first two rounds feed fine, but the 3 rounds usually gets pushed forward and hits the front of the magazine.

I am considering ordering the waters .223 mag with the 2.6 OAL to see if that would work. That’s a lot of money to spend for a test though.

If anyone has one of the Waters 2.6 mags that would let me test it out I would pay shipping.

G37some

FNG
What about if you shaved a heavier bevel into the top of the mag where the bullets is impacting. Or even a small U notch

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
That is something I can try. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:
OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
If I was going to try a br or arc I’d probably order a few br mags from waters rifleman in Australia
I sent a couple of emails off to Watersrifleman to see if he has a smaller capacity 6BR magazine, or if his .223 mags will run the 6mm ARC.

He informed me they are no longer making the small capacity 6BR mags. He also said the 6ARC won't work in his .223 mags because of the larger case head size.

So it's looking more to me like I need to go the AICS route. I am looking at getting a CTR stock and putting an Atlasworxs AICS bottom metal on it.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I sent a couple of emails off to Watersrifleman to see if he has a smaller capacity 6BR magazine, or if his .223 mags will run the 6mm ARC.

He informed me they are no longer making the small capacity 6BR mags. He also said the 6ARC won't work in his .223 mags because of the larger case head size.

So it's looking more to me like I need to go the AICS route. I am looking at getting a CTR stock and putting an Atlasworxs AICS bottom metal on it.
If your doing that is just get a krg bravo

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Yeah the Bravo does seem like the easy button. I was wanting this to be a lighter weight build. I got some deciding to do.

While I have little doubt that some combination of factory mag could work, a simple bottom metal swap to an AI drop unit is easy. Also, the Stocky’s VG2 stock would save weight.

Juan_ID

WKR

I tried telling you… 😜 I think aics is just the easy route. I looked into another brand of ctr replacement botttom metal, I think it was redsnake but it only works with ai mags, which from my understanding are different than “standard” aics mags. Which is true of the atlas works bm as well I think. Something to consider

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I tried telling you… 😜 I think aics is just the easy route. I looked into another brand of ctr replacement botttom metal, I think it was redsnake but it only works with ai mags, which from my understanding are different than “standard” aics mags. Which is true of the atlas works bm as well I think. Something to consider
I happen to be a slow learner :). Atlas works says they take AICS mags. So that should be a good option right? I am wanting AICS not just AI?

This is the one I am looking at.

Juan_ID

WKR
Honestly I’m not sure, the description says this:

“Atlasworxs Bottom Metals (AICS) are made to utilize the most reliable detachable box magazines commonly used in today’s bolt action rifles, which is the Accuracy International AICS magazine.”

Which makes me think it only works with the AI mags but then it says this further down so I am not 100% sure.

“The AICS pattern is also becoming a standard for other magazine manufacturers such as Accurate Mag and MDT amongst others, therefore making the AICS pattern magazines more readily available and cost effective”.

Tried searching but didn’t look overly hard. If the AI mags are interchangeable with the other aics mags that will open up more options for stocks. I went with the bravo but really wish it was closer in weight to the xlr so I could use the bravo in the open light class for nrlhunter.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I happen to be a slow learner :). Atlas works says they take AICS mags. So that should be a good option right? I am wanting AICS not just AI?

This is the one I am looking at.

Honestly I’m not sure, the description says this:

“Atlasworxs Bottom Metals (AICS) are made to utilize the most reliable detachable box magazines commonly used in today’s bolt action rifles, which is the Accuracy International AICS magazine.”

Which makes me think it only works with the AI mags but then it says this further down so I am not 100% sure.

“The AICS pattern is also becoming a standard for other magazine manufacturers such as Accurate Mag and MDT amongst others, therefore making the AICS pattern magazines more readily available and cost effective”.

Tried searching but didn’t look overly hard. If the AI mags are interchangeable with the other aics mags that will open up more options for stocks. I went with the bravo but really wish it was closer in weight to the xlr so I could use the bravo in the open light class for nrlhunter.

Not sure what you are asking, as there seems to be confusion.

There are two different “AI” mags- AICS and AW. AICS mags are the most common variant and are staggered, single feed magazines. AW mags are double stack and double feed mags. Commonly when people refer to “AI mags”, they are speaking about AICS. AW are specific and are not common. All the common chassis use AICS mags, and if a mag is an “AI” compatible mag, it’s AICS. An AW mag will state that it is an AW mag.

I've had both Atlasworxs bottom metals, the one for a CTR inlet and the other for their proprietary inlet. Aics mags.

Juan_ID

WKR
Not sure what you are asking, as there seems to be confusion.

There are two different “AI” mags- AICS and AW. AICS mags are the most common variant and are staggered, single feed magazines. AW mags are double stack and double feed mags. Commonly when people refer to “AI mags”, they are speaking about AICS. AW are specific and are not common. All the common chassis use AICS mags, and if a mag is an “AI” compatible mag, it’s AICS. An AW mag will state that it is an AW mag.
I had thought that may be the case with the ai, I’d seen it mentioned on another forum the ai and standard aics were not compatible but I had never confirmed that and the descriptions of the bottom metals were a little confusing, at least to me. Thanks for clearing that up Form.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
From what I have been reading guys are finding some of the best success running the 6 ARC with a 8 Round .224 Valkyrie mag from MDT. Not sure I really want a mag that big for my hunting rifle. I do have a Mountain Tactical mag on the way to see if it will run the ARC.

From what I have been reading guys are finding some of the best success running the 6 ARC with a 8 Round .224 Valkyrie mag from MDT. Not sure I really want a mag that big for my hunting rifle. I do have a Mountain Tactical mag on the way to see if it will run the ARC.
Send the 8 round to justin, he can cut it down for you. He does this mod all the time!

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Send the 8 round to justin, he can cut it down for you. He does this mod all the time!
I will have to message him. The 8 Rounder is a polymer mag. I will have to ask him what mag guys are having luck with.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I do have a Primal Rights 5 round AICS conversion that they say will run 6.5 Grendel so I am going to try that first.