Tikka .308 questions

I picked up a Tikka Roughtech ember in .308 yesterday off the used rack in my local Cabela’s for a price that was too good to pass. I got it home and loaded up a dummy round to find the lands and with a 175TMK COAL will be 2.9915”. This is too long for the factory .308 mag.

What are my mag options for this? I know about the Waterman’s mags as I have a couple for my .223 Tikka but they are pricey. Is using a factory mag for 30.06 cartridges an option? If so will I need to change the bolt stop to a long action?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sdupontjr

WKR
I picked up a Tikka Roughtech ember in .308 yesterday off the used rack in my local Cabela’s for a price that was too good to pass. I got it home and loaded up a dummy round to find the lands and with a 175TMK COAL will be 2.9915”. This is too long for the factory .308 mag.

What are my mag options for this? I know about the Waterman’s mags as I have a couple for my .223 Tikka but they are pricey. Is using a factory mag for 30.06 cartridges an option? If so will I need to change the bolt stop to a long action?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, you can use the 30-06 mag. You can either modify the existing bolt stop to allow longer bolt throw or buy a SS one from mountain tactical and just put it in. Bought one for my T3 Lite 308, but modified the one in my CTR 308. Only reason I modified the CTR one, was because I wanted to go shoot the next day and figured what the hell, I'll modify it. If I mess it up, just buy the SS one.

Need LA bolt stop

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I would shoot it first. If it shoots well, it doesn't matter if there is a long jump to the lands.

AK4570

FNG
Before you go spending money on mags and bolt stops, load 10 rds of your preference at current mag length, and go shoot them. My guess, based on personal experience with Tikka .308, is that you will be just fine and will not benefit in any real way from chasing the lands.

Best regards,
John

OP
Mike D Texas
I would shoot it first. If it shoots well, it doesn't matter if there is a long jump to the lands.

I’m not as concerned about jump as I am where the bullet sits in the case related to bearing surface and neck/shoulder junction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Mike D Texas
Cant you just run m+ mags? Thats a short action mag ostensibly for 6.5cm that has a bit extra coal. This also works fine with the short action bolt stop.

Still learning the Tikka platform. I’ve been a R700 guy my whole life.

Didn’t know this was a thing.

OP
Mike D Texas
Before you go spending money on mags and bolt stops, load 10 rds of your preference at current mag length, and go shoot them. My guess, based on personal experience with Tikka .308, is that you will be just fine and will not benefit in any real way from chasing the lands.

Best regards,
John

See my response to JimGa

Macintosh

WKR
Still learning the Tikka platform. I’ve been a R700 guy my whole life.

Didn’t know this was a thing.

I am not a reloader so cant help with the nuance, but I have short (m), 6.5 (m+) and long (L) mags for my tikka, and a couple barrels. The difference is just different thickness spacers at the rear of the mag. I no longer have a 308-based cartridge barrel, but ran a 7mm-08 for several years. I can fit some factory 6.5cm rounds in a standard M mag, but not all. My short action bolt stop runs fine with these mags. From memory there is an additional 1/8” or more internal length in the M+ mags, so at an rch shy of 3” it might be close for you, but I think you are within a couple hundredths anyway. I would be really surprised if someone hasnt posted an actual measured coal length for the M+ mags here.

sdupontjr

WKR
I run the 155 scenars in both my Lite and CTR. Both hit the lands at 2.880". The neck shoulder junction fell at 2.835" so there would be .045" jump. It shot best at 2.810" but "lots" of crunch of Varget. I tried at .010" and .020" off lands but my Lite shot them best at 2.810". 10 shots, 47g varget, 2862 avg. My 20" CTR shot well also at 2.810" with a 10 shot avg, 47.5g varget, 2840 avg,

So, you may get lucky at mag length. But the simple modification of the bolt stop can allow you to load longer if it doesn't shoot well at mag length.

OP
Mike D Texas
I run the 155 scenars in both my Lite and CTR. Both hit the lands at 2.880". The neck shoulder junction fell at 2.835" so there would be .045" jump. It shot best at 2.810" but "lots" of crunch of Varget. I tried at .010" and .020" off lands but my Lite shot them best at 2.810". 10 shots, 47g varget, 2862 avg. My 20" CTR shot well also at 2.810" with a 10 shot avg, 47.5g varget, 2840 avg,

So, you may get lucky at mag length. But the simple modification of the bolt stop can allow you to load longer if it doesn't shoot well at mag length.

A 155 Scenar that sounds about right.

They are noticeably shorter than the 175 TMK I’m planning to run in this rifle.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
M+ mag will let you load a little longer and get extra powder capacity. TMK is a long bullet and can like being .02 off. M+ feeds better than a LA.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Tikka M+ mags are longer and work with the short action bolt stop.

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
So I have a 20” CTR. The jam depth is far longer than mag length. I did seating depth tests at mag length and deeper until I found my load.

I shot this 10 shot group today. No bolt stop change.
IMG_4665.jpeg