Tikka 300WSM to 6.5PRC or other?

bluumoon

WKR
Here is some free advice.

You need to fix the primary source of your issues: yourself. Dropping down to a 6.5 will not resolve your issues.

Here's what I personally would have you do:
1) Take a training class with a real person, preferably one on one, and get any flaws and/or bad habits in your shooting process eliminated. This class should solely focused on shooting fundamentals and NOT on long range shooting.
2) Buy another T3X in 223 and practice what the class taught you; muscle memory will make things easier overall. Practice your fundamentals. Practice your shooting process. Practice shooting in the wind. Practice reading the wind. Practice Kraft drills. You get the point.
3) Take a long range shooting class with a real person. Depending on what they require, you may need to do #4 ahead of time.
4) Re-evaluate whether the 300 WSM makes sense for you. If it does, look at getting hand-loads developed for it so that you can get more consistency.
#5 go kill an Elk with .223 and 77gr TMK, might limit you to 300 yards though

Gorp2007

WKR
I know Backfire and Hushin or whoever else yall are worshipping right now may say other wise, but theyre there to sell crap. Theyre not real hunters, real hunters can get under 600yds of a game animal

If you’re not interested in constructive discussions about shooting animals at longer ranges, maybe the Long Range Hunting forum isn’t for you?

There’s a couple off the top of my head.
Thank you, ill give them a read

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
@Whitey Fisk 88
I posted here as to not have to debate efficacy of a cartridge or cartridges with literally 100’s of pages of evidence proving you wrong.

That being said, I don’t disagree with you on needing a lot of practice and getting better prior to extending my current effective range. I think you need to re read what was said.

Recoil isn’t the problem, it’s actually pretty mild with the brake. Spotting my impacts through the scope consistently is something I want to get better at.

Maybe some hockey skates, but I already have a lot of hobbies.

Last edited:
OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
How often do you shoot at 600+ yards during practice? 655 is honestly a chip shot for a 300wsm and a shooter that is comfortable and I’ll say qualified to make that shot. Verifying dope, and knowing what cold bore shots do in different environments is a huge factor in shooting at an animal.
Not nearly enough, probably only a half dozen times a year. Have made plans to drastically increase field shooting time this year.

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Here is some free advice.

You need to fix the primary source of your issues: yourself. Dropping down to a 6.5 will not resolve your issues.

Here's what I personally would have you do:
1) Take a training class with a real person, preferably one on one, and get any flaws and/or bad habits in your shooting process eliminated. This class should solely focused on shooting fundamentals and NOT on long range shooting.
2) Buy another T3X in 223 and practice what the class taught you; muscle memory will make things easier overall. Practice your fundamentals. Practice your shooting process. Practice shooting in the wind. Practice reading the wind. Practice Kraft drills. You get the point.
3) Take a long range shooting class with a real person. Depending on what they require, you may need to do #4 ahead of time.
4) Re-evaluate whether the 300 WSM makes sense for you. If it does, look at getting hand-loads developed for it so that you can get more consistency.
This is good, all stuff on my radar.

ljalberta

WKR
It is absolutely unethical to shoot an elk sized animal farther than 400yds with a 6.5 creedmore or PRC. And from what youve said about all your misses, you either need to practice ALOT more or limit your range until you do.

With that history of poor performance you do not need to be shooting at living animals at long range distances just because your favorite youtuber does and you think you should to.

If you cant handle a braked 300wsm then maybe figure skating is more your speed ??

Might want to have a peak here my friend.

SwiftShot

WKR
That is a great rifle. I would look at seeing how it shoots those Hornady 212 ELDXs. Your rifle has the ability to shoot long range. A higher BC bullet will help, to tame the recoil well you need weight and that doesnt go with a back country rifle. 300 WSM is a great round.

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
That is a great rifle. I would look at seeing how it shoots those Hornady 212 ELDXs. Your rifle has the ability to shoot long range. A higher BC bullet will help, to tame the recoil well you need weight and that doesnt go with a back country rifle. 300 WSM is a great
Yeah I hope to get my hands on t3x in .223 ASAP and shoot it as much as possible, between that, dry fire practice and my back yard practice with my T1x I should be able to create some good muscle memory mechanics. I’m going to try to work with a buddy to hand load a better option than what’s available with factory for my WSM.

RussDXT

WKR
That is a great rifle. I would look at seeing how it shoots those Hornady 212 ELDXs. Your rifle has the ability to shoot long range. A higher BC bullet will help, to tame the recoil well you need weight and that doesnt go with a back country rifle. 300 WSM is a great round.

The rifle is 1:11 twist. May not work with those.

I have a 6.5 PRC and love it. It kills everything well. I think it is a phenomenal round. I also have a 6mm creedmoor the hits way above its pay grade. 108gr eldms will kill anything. I don’t love handloading, I have all the stuff and will do it, but I’ll avoid it like the plague. Both of these rounds have great factory ammo options.

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity, what scope magnification are you shooting with at 650 yards?
Typically 16-20x

I have a 6.5 PRC and love it. It kills everything well. I think it is a phenomenal round. I also have a 6mm creedmoor the hits way above its pay grade. 108gr eldms will kill anything. I don’t love handloading, I have all the stuff and will do it, but I’ll avoid it like the plague. Both of these rounds have great factory ammo options.
One of the reasons I’ve been looking at the 6.5 factory match ammo that’s actually available.

BjornF16

WKR
Typically 16-20x.

I would suggest trying 8X at 650 yards…you’ll find you’re better able to spot shots.

Part of the recommendations for the “RS Special” (Tikka .223, SWFA 6X scope) is to train shooting at lower magnification

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest trying 8X at 650 yards…you’ll find you’re better able to spot shots.

Part of the recommendations for the “RS Special” (Tikka .223, SWFA 6X scope) is to train shooting at lower magnification
That low?! That’s good to know, I’ll try that next time out.

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
That low?! That’s good to know, I’ll try that next time out.
It all depends on atmospherics on what power range I use. Due to mirage, I’ve had PRS shots I’ve taken at 940 yards at around 6-8x and have had to use my illuminated reticle in high mirage due to the lower power being used. This is on FFP scopes but same principal for target acquisition and shot clarity.

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
It all depends on atmospherics on what power range I use. Due to mirage, I’ve had PRS shots I’ve taken at 940 yards at around 6-8x and have had to use my illuminated reticle in high mirage due to the lower power being used. This is on FFP scopes but same principal for target acquisition and shot clarity.
I think I’ve got it in my head needing higher magnification to make a precision shot. It makes since the larger the FOV the better you will see your target through recoil. I’m definitely going to try this.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
If you like your 300 buy another rifle. I own a 300 and think it's over kill for most things but it's still nice to have. I use my 6.5 for almost everything and it performs outstanding, plus it burns about 1/2 the powder as a 300.