Tikka 300WSM to 6.5PRC or other?

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
I have an original T3 300WSM I’ve been hunting with since 2005. Overall it’s been a fantastic cartridge/rifle for me. I’ve been able to shoot lots of critters deer, elk, antelope and bears all with great terminal performance. I’ve become enamored with long range hunting and want to get better at it. Most of my shots on game have been sub 350 with the exception of an elk at 475yd and an elk at 538yds.

I missed, what would have been my biggest bear ever this last spring at 655yd and started probably overthinking my setup. I have a ti pro break which definitely helps but still only see 50-60% of my impacts and have generally had inconsistent results shooting rocks long range (600-800yds). I know a-lot of this is fundamentals, optics, and poor wind calls.

After reading several threads a fast twist .223 is on my wish list as soon as available to be able to practice a ton, work fundamentals, gain confidence and get proficient with wind.

My long winded question is would re barreling my 300WSM to a 6.5 PRC/7SAUM or another be an easier to shoot, better option in the long run without sacrificing terminal performance? The 6mm/6.5 threads have got me thinking I may be shooting more than what’s needed for deer/elk size game. Thanks in advance for any advice.

RussDXT

WKR
I’d go 6.5 prc. I have a 300 wsm tikka and opted to use my 6.5 prc with this year. Took antelope, elk, and a mule deer.

Running Cayuga 122grn mono’s fwiw.

I have an original T3 300WSM I’ve been hunting with since 2005. Overall it’s been a fantastic cartridge/rifle for me. I’ve been able to shoot lots of critters deer, elk, antelope and bears all with great terminal performance. I’ve become enamored with long range hunting and want to get better at it. Most of my shots on game have been sub 350 with the exception of an elk at 475yd and an elk at 538yds.

I missed, what would have been my biggest bear ever this last spring at 655yd and started probably overthinking my setup. I have a ti pro break which definitely helps but still only see 50-60% of my impacts and have generally had inconsistent results shooting rocks long range (600-800yds). I know a-lot of this is fundamentals, optics, and poor wind calls.

After reading several threads a fast twist .223 is on my wish list as soon as available to be able to practice a ton, work fundamentals, gain confidence and get proficient with wind.

My long winded question is would re barreling my 300WSM to a 6.5 PRC/7SAUM or another be an easier to shoot, better option in the long run without sacrificing terminal performance? The 6mm/6.5 threads have got me thinking I may be shooting more than what’s needed for deer/elk size game. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I would buy a 7 prc barrel for it. I am thinking about doing this with my tikka 7mm rem mag

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
I’d go 6.5 prc. I have a 300 wsm tikka and opted to use my 6.5 prc with this year. Took antelope, elk, and a mule deer.

Running Cayuga 122grn mono’s fwiw.
Do you find that you shoot it better? Easier to spot your own impacts?

PNWGATOR

WKR
If you’re building a dedicated long range set up and don’t mind fire forming, the 6UM Ryan Avery built is what I’d recommend. Great bullets. ‘Low’ recoil offering higher hit rates and the ability to spot your own hits.

FWIW I have a 6.5PRC and wouldn’t build another.

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
I have been following along with that build thread. Looks like a pretty awesome cartridge. Besides velocity increase would that primarily be to utilize my magnum bolt face opposed to a 6MM Creedmoor, or 6XC etc.?

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re building a dedicated long range set up and don’t mind fire forming, the 6UM Ryan Avery built is what I’d recommend. Great bullets. ‘Low’ recoil offering higher hit rates and the ability to spot your own hits.

Why wouldn’t you build another 6.5 PRC?

Jimbee

WKR

Formed from 6.5saum brass, correct? Dies available? I have 2 300wsms bought before I received my Rokslide education.

It is absolutely unethical to shoot an elk sized animal farther than 400yds with a 6.5 creedmore or PRC. And from what youve said about all your misses, you either need to practice ALOT more or limit your range until you do.

With that history of poor performance you do not need to be shooting at living animals at long range distances just because your favorite youtuber does and you think you should to.

If you cant handle a braked 300wsm then maybe figure skating is more your speed ??

BjornF16

WKR
It is absolutely unethical to shoot an elk sized animal farther than 400yds with a 6.5 creedmore or PRC. And from what youve said about all your misses, you either need to practice ALOT more or limit your range until you do.

With that history of poor performance you do not need to be shooting at living animals at long range distances just because your favorite youtuber does and you think you should to.

If you cant handle a braked 300wsm then maybe figure skating is more your speed ??
Troll alert 🚨

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
How often do you shoot at 600+ yards during practice? 655 is honestly a chip shot for a 300wsm and a shooter that is comfortable and I’ll say qualified to make that shot. Verifying dope, and knowing what cold bore shots do in different environments is a huge factor in shooting at an animal.

Troll alert 🚨
Not trolling man. Dead serious. Sorry the false reality you live in wont allow to accept anything that counters your fragile viewpoint so instead of consider it you write it off as trolling.

600yds is too far for a 6.5 on elk. Paper sure...but not living critters. Not for 99% of hunters

BjornF16

WKR
Not trolling man. Dead serious. Sorry the false reality you live in wont allow to accept anything that counters your fragile viewpoint so instead of consider it you write it off as trolling.

600yds is too far for a 6.5 on elk. Paper sure...but not living critters. Not for 99% of hunters
Junior Member, 16 posts.

Either a troll, trying to get your post count up or haven’t bothered reading through the plethora of information that debunks your viewpoint…or maybe all three 🤣

Here is some free advice.

You need to fix the primary source of your issues: yourself. Dropping down to a 6.5 will not resolve your issues.

Here's what I personally would have you do:
1) Take a training class with a real person, preferably one on one, and get any flaws and/or bad habits in your shooting process eliminated. This class should solely focused on shooting fundamentals and NOT on long range shooting.
2) Buy another T3X in 223 and practice what the class taught you; muscle memory will make things easier overall. Practice your fundamentals. Practice your shooting process. Practice shooting in the wind. Practice reading the wind. Practice Kraft drills. You get the point.
3) Take a long range shooting class with a real person. Depending on what they require, you may need to do #4 ahead of time.
4) Re-evaluate whether the 300 WSM makes sense for you. If it does, look at getting hand-loads developed for it so that you can get more consistency.

Junior Member, 16 posts.

Either a troll, trying to get your post count up or haven’t bothered reading through the plethora of information that debunks your viewpoint…or maybe all three 🤣
Provide one source of this plethora of info? Honestly not trolling, i just dont fall for the lastest fad and gimmick. I wouldnt shoot an elk 500yds with my 270. My 300 win mag yes, but a slightly stronger 243??? No way.

I know Backfire and Hushin or whoever else yall are worshipping right now may say other wise, but theyre there to sell crap. Theyre not real hunters, real hunters can get under 600yds of a game animal

PNWGATOR

WKR
Provide one source of this plethora of info? Honestly not trolling, i just dont fall for the lastest fad and gimmick. I wouldnt shoot an elk 500yds with my 270. My 300 win mag yes, but a slightly stronger 243??? No way.

I know Backfire and Hushin or whoever else yall are worshipping right now may say other wise, but theyre there to sell crap. Theyre not real hunters, real hunters can get under 600yds of a game animal
There’s a couple off the top of my head.