Tikka 243 rechambered to 6-284?

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Can a tikka 1/8 243 super light be rechambered to 6-284? Is there enough shank to accommodate reaming it out to the larger cartridge? Or is a custom barrel blank necessary?

Thank you

I would think there should be enough room. Best asked to the Person you plan to re-chamber for you. It’s my understanding that factory barrels tend to have room so they can be set back a time or two over the years if the throat gets shot out.

I would also change the bolt stop to take advantage of the longer magazines and increased COAL on the tikka action over a standard SA. Make a dummy round and get the lands where you want them.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I was hoping so. Put in a LA bolt stop and use long action mags. Simple neck down of available good brass…Seems like an easy way to beat the 243AI in an 18-20” barrel.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I called Karl Kampfield and he said it should be no problem and has a 6-284 reamer. Just make a dummy and send it all in.

If anyone has 18” or 20” barrel ballistics with the 108 class that would be helpful. I would assume it should be faster than the 243AI which I was considering too.

mcr-85

WKR
I would do this with the regular lite and not the super lite. I rechambered a 6.5 creedmoor super lite to a 6.5x284 and wish I could shorten the barrel below the flutes a bit now that I have suppressors.

I know I could still cut below the flutes but it looks like garbage I think

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m not super concerned with how it would look. Function over form and all that. I shoot suppressed 100%, hence the desire for the short barrel.