Thunder Beast #2 for me

fwafwow

WKR
I'm thinking about another Thunder Beast can. I currently use an Ultra 9 (Gen 1) 30 for my bolt action rifles (25-06, 30-06, 223 and 6.5 CM). I’m wed to the TBAC CBs, so I’m not considering other brands.

I am looking at the Ultra 9 (Gen 2) 6.5, the Magnus, and the Ultra 7 (Gen 2) in 6.5. I value “hearing safe” quiet over compact, if the U7 wouldn’t get me there. I would not think many out there have shot, or own, all of these, but I found a post from @JohnJohnson and think he’s got several of the Ultras.

Any feedback?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Ultra 7 is 100% hearing safe. If that’s the goal the 9 and magnus will just make it a touch quieter at the cost of size.

I think you’d be happy with the Dominus too. Should be a smidge better than the ultra 7 trades fat for a bit shorter.

Lawnboi

WKR
Nobody is going to be able to tell you if something is hearing safe enough or not unfortunately. It really depends on what you’re shooting them on, ie how much powder you’re burning, and how long the barrel is. Shortest barrels and more powder make more boom.

Given your criteria and being in the CB system, I'll 100% say get the Magnus. The Ultra-9 Gen 2 in 6.5 suppresses quite well but you already have a U9 Gen 1 in 30 cal and it would probably only suppress 4-5 more decibels than that. The Ultra-7 is hearing safe for a shot or two, given the data available for shooters' ear decibel numbers on various rifles/cartridges but if you're not concerned with weight/length and want a lot of suppression get a Magnus and I guarantee you won't second-guess yourself.

B23

WKR
if you're not concerned with weight/length and want a lot of suppression get a Magnus and I guarantee you won't second-guess yourself.
Completely agree. If suppression is more important to you then size/weight, for me, it would be an easy choice and a new Magnus it would be.

I'd like to see TBAC make something like a 6.5-7 inch version of the Magnus. Maybe the Dominus and Magnus use the same technology core/baffle and in that case I guess they already make a shorter Magnus, but, if the Magnus uses a newer better design then the Dominus I'd be all over a 6.5-7 inch version of the Magnus. I know it doesn't seem like a lot on paper but my 6.5 can is a SAS Barricade that's about the same length as the Dominus (6.2 in.) and it is a very convenient length, I just wish it was a little quieter can like say a shorter Magnus would be.

Ya just gotta love the guys at TBAC! After typing the above I was curious about a couple things so I just got off the phone with them and TBAC will be coming out with a short and medium length version of the Magnus to be released at Shot Show this year. Couldn't give me specific lengths but it sounds like the mid length version will be somewhere around the 7 inch +/- range.

Last edited:
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Nobody is going to be able to tell you if something is hearing safe enough or not unfortunately. It really depends on what you’re shooting them on, ie how much powder you’re burning, and how long the barrel is. Shortest barrels and more powder make more boom.
Good point. My 25-06 and 30-06 are Cooper 92s, and I’m pretty sure they are 24”. The 223 is 16.5” and the 6.5 CM is currently 24” but I may cut it. I don’t reload.

Are you aware that you can make any hub can CB compatible? So Sico Scythe, DD enticer, OCL hydrogen, AB raptor, etc are easily made compatible with CB mounts.

Add $80 to the price of a hub can for a CB adapter and it will work with all of your existing muzzle devices.

I just bought an OCL can that will be used on CB adapters.

You're already used to having 9" on the end of the rifle but thats just too damn long for me so Dominus would be my choice.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Completely agree. If suppression is more important to you then size/weight, for me, it would be an easy choice and a new Magnus it would be.

I'd like to see TBAC make something like a 6.5-7 inch version of the Magnus. Maybe the Dominus and Magnus use the same technology core/baffle and in that case I guess they already make a shorter Magnus, but, if the Magnus uses a newer better design then the Dominus I'd be all over a 6.5-7 inch version of the Magnus. I know it doesn't seem like a lot on paper but my 6.5 can is a SAS Barricade that's about the same length as the Dominus (6.2 in.) and it is a very convenient length, I just wish it was a little quieter can like say a shorter Magnus would be.

I can’t find the thread but thunderbeast said the Magnus and dominus have very different tech, and that the dominus was designed first with AR use in mind.

They have also said many times that the U7 G2 and the dominus essentially suppress the same, but people continue to buy the dominus for bolt guns which has longer barrel length restrictions and is heavier, albeit shorter.

I agree with the above, I would just get a Magnus if suppression is very important on anything.

Good point. My 25-06 and 30-06 are Cooper 92s, and I’m pretty sure they are 24”. The 223 is 16.5” and the 6.5 CM is currently 24” but I may cut it. I don’t reload.
You can find some numbers in this video as well as the Silencer Summit. In the video you can not bother watching if you want and just look in the video description for all the listed decibel numbers at muzzle and shooter's ear. The Silencer Summit was a much more scientific test but I do like that TBAC is very transparent about their decibel numbers from both muzzle and shooters' ear.

atmat

WKR
I have the U7 on my 16” 6creed and 223, and it’s great. My understanding is that it’s hearing safe for a couple shots.

As such, I don’t wear ear protection while hunting (unless I have lots of time), but do use the foam inserts while target shooting.

I already see the can in my sight picture when it’s 1.5” diameter, so I’m skeptical of increasing diameter to larger cans.

Lawnboi

WKR
An ultra 7 will be quiet and balance better on those rifles. My U7 on my 3006 is stupid quiet, even compared to my 16” creedmoor.

A Magnus, on the end of a 24” barrel, is a lot. That said it’s probably not much more than your current U9 G1.

The 223 is a different animal and I find the small amount of powder suppresses very well with the ultra 7, enough that I notice the crack more than I notice the pop when swapping back and forth between the u7 and Magnus. Part of the reason I got another U7 is specifically for 223 use, in 6.5 cal.

Geewhiz

WKR
I believe you can send in your gen 1 and have it recored with gen 2 guts if that helps you make a decision.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Are you aware that you can make any hub can CB compatible? So Sico Scythe, DD enticer, OCL hydrogen, AB raptor, etc are easily made compatible with CB mounts.

Add $80 to the price of a hub can for a CB adapter and it will work with all of your existing muzzle devices.

I just bought an OCL can that will be used on CB adapters.
I was not aware. Now that expands my search, but I had only been considering a Hyperion if I went outside of TBAC.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I believe you can send in your gen 1 and have it recored with gen 2 guts if that helps you make a decision.
Thanks. I saw that on the TBAC site and the cost seemed high in relation to the benefit, and I’d be without a can for a while.

Geewhiz

WKR
Thanks. I saw that on the TBAC site and the cost seemed high in relation to the benefit, and I’d be without a can for a while.
I'm not sure the cost to recore from gen 1 to gen 2, but I had a mishap with my 338 ultra and shot a hole through it where there wasnt supposed to be a hole and they had it back to me in just a couple of weeks. 🤷‍♂️