Thumb Release?

I’m wanting to switch to a thumb release this year as I’m tired of climbing up the tree with my strap or dealing with multiple sleeve layers. I’ve been shooting a Tru Ball short n sweet for years and I switched it to a Scott strap that I liked better. Anyway it seems like Carter is always a first mention along with Stan and some others. I only have about $150 max to spend right now. That’s obviously short of a wise choice or Nock 2 it. The B3 exit pro is right there at my price point but I see some of y’all don’t care for them. I’ve never shot a thumb release before and I’m just using it for hunting so it might be great for me. Should I go for the B3 or try to find a used Carter. What do you recommend?
61e6a42646a42020f2862e1103fadd3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcm2

WKR
I have a Carter 1st choice for $100.00 delivered if you'd like to try a thumb release. I'm sticking with my Spot Hogg Keeton.

I made the switch to a thumb trigger a few years back. And I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. Most archers find that handheld release aids give them a more solid anchor over index/wrist strap release aids. You also get highly adjustable triggers in tension and travel. Once you master the thumb trigger, you just never look back.

check the classified section. There are quite a few Wise Choice releases on there for around $150. It takes time, but you'll see them pop up.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I love my B3 Exit Pro and prefer it over the other ones I have tried. I did like the Stan heavy metal Onnex I tried, but still prefer the Exit Pro.
With that being said, I still hunt with an index. I used a foldback Trufire in the past, no real issues with it and having it folded back out of the way is really nice. Just wasn't a real big fan of the trigger travel it had. I recently bought a B3 Hawk, it rotates back out of the way and locks to stay there. It has tension and travel adjustment, can dial it to exactly what you want.

As far as trying a hand held, if you have a shop or two nearby, most will have some you can "try before you buy". Many Techs will even let you try their own. Great way to find out what you prefer vs. spending money on one and finding out you hate it.
Cobra makes some fairly decent hand helds that aren't as expensive as the top names too. Or find a used top name hand held. Make sure you do your do diligence on the person before sending money to an internet stranger. Paypal goods and services offers some protection, avoid friends and family or other companies with no buyer protection.
Local archery shops may be aware of people looking to sell used releases too, perhaps even one of the Techs that work there.

Marble

WKR
I always suggest people learn a hinge before they venture into a button. Guys who don't really know how to shoot with backpressure, end up punching triggers.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I concur with the statements made above. If a guy can dedicate the time to a tension release, first, then a thumb button is a little more forgivable in the woods. I would suggest a HotShot Vapor as a starter in that regard. It is affordable and gives the thumb button feel but forces the tension and execution. Keep in mind that moving to a hinge or a thumb button will most likely require a shift in peep sight. With all that said, I have had good luck with a Tru Ball Max Pro. I like the 360° caliper jaws and it doesn't break the bank.

OP
aclawrence
I do have a back tension release but I haven’t shot it in a long time. In general I feel like I have pretty good form and try to shoot my regular release with back tension. My whole bow set up is so old though I haven’t shot as much the last few years. I really need a complete overhaul on my accessories. I’ve sent my site into black gold and hopefully they’ll fix it up for me.

Unleashed

FNG
Just have a good way to keep up with it. When I first changed over to a non-strapped release I lost it in the woods. Because I'm dumb I now carry a backup that I know how to shoot with. It's probably overkill but I hate to be without.

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I’m wanting to switch to a thumb release this year as I’m tired of climbing up the tree with my strap or dealing with multiple sleeve layers. I’ve been shooting a Tru Ball short n sweet for years and I switched it to a Scott strap that I liked better. Anyway it seems like Carter is always a first mention along with Stan and some others. I only have about $150 max to spend right now. That’s obviously short of a wise choice or Nock 2 it. The B3 exit pro is right there at my price point but I see some of y’all don’t care for them. I’ve never shot a thumb release before and I’m just using it for hunting so it might be great for me. Should I go for the B3 or try to find a used Carter. What do you recommend?
61e6a42646a42020f2862e1103fadd3d.jpg

Carter all the way for me, they are great. I love my nock 2 it and whisper 2. Look on market place here and over on archery talk, you can pick up releases for great prices. Used nock 2 it are around 140 and whisper 2 go for around 180. If you check enough you can pick up a silverback for 50-75 but gotta be fast. I have the Nock 2 it holster and a AJB holster for the whisper 2

OP
aclawrence
Just have a good way to keep up with it. When I first changed over to a non-strapped release I lost it in the woods. Because I'm dumb I now carry a backup that I know how to shoot with. It's probably overkill but I hate to be without.

I’ve thought about that. I’ll be grabbing a second one as quickly as I can.

Best thing I ever did for my shooting is the get the Stan Onnex Clicker. Took me a few days to get used to it but my groups have tightened more with that release than any other thing I've done to help it. It has forced me to slow down and go through the process instead of just forcing a shot. Can still "punch" the trigger if it's needed. But that surprise release has changed everything for me.

Unleashed

FNG
Best thing I ever did for my shooting is the get the Stan Onnex Clicker. Took me a few days to get used to it but my groups have tightened more with that release than any other thing I've done to help it. It has forced me to slow down and go through the process instead of just forcing a shot. Can still "punch" the trigger if it's needed. But that surprise release has changed everything for me.
What is the actual mechanism that makes that release well, release? I looked into them a little but couldn't quite figure it out. I come from a competition shooting background with pistols and rifles so the transition to precision with a bow has been difficult. Looking at ways to improve.

What is the actual mechanism that makes that release well, release? I looked into them a little but couldn't quite figure it out. I come from a competition shooting background with pistols and rifles so the transition to precision with a bow has been difficult. Looking at ways to improve.
Sorry for the late response. It’s just like the thumb button. In fact you can “punch” it like any other and never hear the click. But if you just apply pressure correctly, it will hit a very soft click before releasing. You can adjust the travel and pressure just like with the standard thumb.

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
my main release is a Stan onnex but backup is an axis. It’s a pretty solid release and can be found for $150ish. I’ve had a few carters, the UV button and hinge, and have another hinge in the mail for me to regret in a few days (we don’t get along). Buy used and save a few bucks. If it wasn’t an open jaw I’d shoot a carter whisper 2 but I want to clip it on my d loop in the saddle.

nphunter

WKR
I’d buy a used wise choice or nock 2 it if it were me. I’ve had several dozen and I ended up with a wise choice and switched to a nock 2 it after having nerve issues in my pinky and ring finger. (Not archery related)

Please wash that bloody arrow before hunting season. I took a friend on and elk hunt and he shot an arrow that looked just like that at a bull. I found the arrow and it had blood and thought he hit the bull, he said it was already bloody, it had been a bit since he had shot so I’m not 100% confident he didn’t hit it. Anyway it was pretty frustrating that he shot that arrow especially if he did hit it and we left it.

Artemis

FNG
Nock 2 here. Use the mini in warm temps and have a regular to use with thin wool gloves in cooler weather. It took a little while to make the adjustment but I shoot much better now than I could with an index. For me it works better when I execute the shot by pulling straight back through the shot vs depressing the button with thumb pressure. Also, I had to learn to keep forward pressure on bow arm (push towards target) and pull through back wall through the shot. It was a little nuanced and took some practice but I shoot much better especially longer distances.

OP
aclawrence
I’d buy a used wise choice or nock 2 it if it were me. I’ve had several dozen and I ended up with a wise choice and switched to a nock 2 it after having nerve issues in my pinky and ring finger. (Not archery related)

Please wash that bloody arrow before hunting season. I took a friend on and elk hunt and he shot an arrow that looked just like that at a bull. I found the arrow and it had blood and thought he hit the bull, he said it was already bloody, it had been a bit since he had shot so I’m not 100% confident he didn’t hit it. Anyway it was pretty frustrating that he shot that arrow especially if he did hit it and we left it.

I ended up picking up a Carter first choice. Yeah I wouldn’t shoot another deer with a blood stained arrow. That is a bad idea. I’m hoping to get to compare this release with some others in the future once I get used to it. I’ve only shot it right in front of the target right now and I like it so far. I don’t have a site on my bow at the moment.

Last edited:
Lots of good info here. Been thinking about switching from index to thumb release for next season. I have been seriously considering a UV button, finding a used release in the classifieds to try out is a great option. Also it occurs to me that the local archery shop probably has some I could try first.