Thumb release thoughts.

nebhunt

WKR
I have been using a wrist/finger release all of my years for bow hunting. I am now thinking I should give a thumb release a try for this next year. I was thinking of a Carter Wise Choice or First Choice. Any information on this subject is appreciated.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Both are great! I have been using the Wise Choice for a couple years. The only thing i don't like is that the knuckle of my index finger will occasionally rub when i draw. The First Choice does not have that issue, and I am probably going to switch in the next few months. I have shot the First Choice on and off for the last few months, and i really like it. Both are easy to cock and with the closed jaw they can be attached to your d-loop and just hang there before a shot, or during your stalk. Both have lb adjustment and travel adjustment.

MTSabo

WKR
I switched from a index release to a carter wise choice this year. Ive been very happy with it. Im much more consistant with it and i like leaving it clipped in while in the stand. I dont get any index finger rubbing

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
I forgot to mention that not only do I hunt deer from a stand but will also be doing some elk hunting. So with the deer I can see just leaving it clipped in while on stand but with elk hunting I don't think that would work. Are they easy to attach during high stress? Also is the finger hole on the Wise Choice large enough to allow a gloved hand in the cold?

jmez

WKR
I use a Stan Perfex hook release and haven't had any trouble getting it on the loop both elk and deer hunting. You shoot it a while and like anything else, it just becomes second nature.

I switched about this time last year after trying them out previously. I switched to force myself to execute a better shot and not just hit the trigger due to missing a big bull and making some good and bad shots over the previous years. I primarily elk hunt so I used the provided cord to keep the release on my wrist. My shot consistency has improved using the wise choice. I cannot wear gloves because they change the length of draw and my feel but a thin glove would fit. If you are letting the release sit between your two finger joints there is no way it should rub. Watch some of John Dudley’s videos on how to hold and use the release. His nock 2 it is a wise choice. I would also suggest getting a Sensation, evolution or silverback and learning how to pull through the shot and not squeezing your thumb to activate the release.

I have a carter insatiable 4 finger that I like. I use it as a backup for hunting, but shoot a lot with it during the off season. I also have a hinge I use a bit. Both my index release and thumb releases are Carters and miraculously have pretty much the same point of impact. Give it a shot, but keep a backup in case you drop it.... :)

jaximus

FNG
i use a thumb release and have for years. spot and stalk and tree stand. having the ability to leave it on the d loop is essential in my opinion. hangs on the d loop in the tree and for stalking, the activation bar hooks onto the cables, so theres no way it can fall off, sits snugly and is in the perfect position to grab in a hurry. i use a truball max3 hunter, which is considered an 'entry level' thumb release, but its got adjustable tension, the bar pushes forward instead of pulls backward, fits my hand and is a caliper style. all things i wanted. i have 2, just in case.

going to a thumb release helped my shooting quite a bit. my form improved by becoming more repeatable and relaxed, my shot execution got smoother, i didnt just get the pin on target and slap the trigger. i became more methodical and precise.

PredatorX

WKR
If I was going to hunt a thumb release I would be sure I could also fire the bow with bare fingers.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SoDaky

WKR
Luv it PredX!
Frankly I practice 'fingers' with every bow and make sure I can 'instintively' shoot it to 25 yds.Not only releases can(have) go wrong.
Few prepare for those situations nowadays.(admittedly rare)

Gumbo

WKR
I have shot the Nock 2 It (which is essentially the same as the Wise Choice minus a finger, an extended locking mechanism cover, and heavier spring) for the last couple years and love it. I shot the First Choice and Too simple before that for a year or so. IMO the hole in the Nock2It/Wise Choice is a major benefit. First, I have never had it slip from my fingers during the draw in spite of a very relaxed release hand (I did with the First choice and Too simple a couple times). Second, it is FAR easier to hold while manipulating rangefinders, and crawling. Finally, it has a tether hole that I tie a loop of D-braid through to hook onto a small carabiner on my bino harness. I will likely never go back to a wrist strap, which I shot for 25 years or so. My only other advice is to shoot with back tension. If you plan on shooting by consciously engaging the trigger you are probably no better off than with a wrist strap release.

Gumbo

WKR
To answer your other questions, the hole is big enough for a light glove, although I rarely shoot with one on. I also have a glove with the first three fingers cut off as well as the thumb to use with the muff if it is really cold. And while elk/antelope/muley hunting I've never had a shot present itself so fast that I couldn't take my glove off to shoot. They attach easily to the string, and although you wouldn't want to walk around with it attached, you can attach it and leave it there while waiting for the shot and still have both hands free, so IMO they are easier during high stress situations. As for the bare fingers comments...well...I will be kind and just say I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over that. I'd bet well over 95% of hunters couldn't make a kill shot at 20 yards without a release using their compound hunting setup. I do carry a spare release just in case I lose one or it malfunctions, but I did that with wrist rockets too.

njbowhntr

FNG
Shot a thumb button for the last 6 years; Tru Ball Max Pro 4, Scott Exxus, Stan SX3 and Shootoff. Shot the best with the Tru Ball Max Pro 4. But have gone back to the wrist strap release with one of my bows, own 2. I am shooting the wrist way better than I recall after learning more proper shooting form.

My shooting style is what is called a command shooter, so I have been told. I shoot my releases like a rifle trigger. Apply steady pressure while pin floats the aim point till arrow flies.

Pramo

WKR
I use a carter ember and made a wrist sling out of some shock cord and like the open design. Used to use a Scott Exxus but could not use if for anything late season due to needing heavy gloves.

SoDaky

WKR
Gumbo you might be surprised about bare fingers and compounds.Still a few around that do it all the time.Try it.If you have a trad background you may still be surprised.Grab a judo etc and give it a whirl.Suspect even with a trad background you'll likely hit a bit to the left if right handed and right if left handed.
Fun though.Your backup likely in your pack when needed I suspect.

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
Thanks for all of the information on a thumb release. I did get a chance to try out several at a Scheels store this weekend and I did like the Carter the best for hunting. The Scott Sigma was very nice but have to give the edge to the Carter because it was easier for me to hook up to the bow string. If it was just for target shooting I think the Scott might have worked the best for me. So now I have to look for a deal on a Wise Choice.

OR Archer

WKR
What ever releases you choose take the time to learn how to properly use it before even picking up your bow. Buy a release trainer and practice with it before going to your bow with it. Once you have that down you’re more than likely going to need to tweak your bow to a new anchor, peep height, and retune. Check out the MD50Gear release trainer. It’ll help make the transition easier.

Gumbo

WKR
Gumbo you might be surprised about bare fingers and compounds.Still a few around that do it all the time.Try it.If you have a trad background you may still be surprised.Grab a judo etc and give it a whirl.Suspect even with a trad background you'll likely hit a bit to the left if right handed and right if left handed.
Fun though.Your backup likely in your pack when needed I suspect.

I started out finger shooting compounds 30 years ago as a kid and remember how "accurate" I was. I know it can be done, and it is a good idea, but it ain't gonna be me!