Three “ribeyes of the sky” wandering through my backyard

I had 2 of those pterodactyls land and feed along a hillside sagebrush flat near my campsite last weekend. Cool looking birds. I think the season opens 9/1 where I elk hunt so may keep a shotgun handy in camp should that happen again. Texas guys say they're tasty.

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Kewl pic.

Those are Sandhill Cranes?

If so, and your nickname for them, that explains why folks would hunt them. I never understood that until your post.

Eddie

They're not the wariest of birds.
Could probably get a limit with a slingshot.
They wander the subdivisions of Central FL. in the winter.

OP
B
Quite tasty!...but can be tough if cooked too fast. Wish we had a season for them down here in Wisconsin.
So we’re trying to model our law after Minnesota, which allows hunting of “migratory birds” in the fall during a two week period when they start to head south for the winter. Each state that allows this generally varies the season based on migratory patterns.

They're not the wariest of birds.
Could probably get a limit with a slingshot.
They wander the subdivisions of Central FL. in the winter.

lol, wait until you are in the hunting fly way.

They get pretty weary quick. When I run out of deer tags, that’s what I prefer to hunt. It took a long time to figure out right blind and decoy set ups

OP
B
lol, wait until you are in the hunting fly way.

They get pretty weary quick. When I run out of deer tags, that’s what I prefer to hunt. It took a long time to figure out right blind and decoy set ups
Do you have a preferred way to cook them?