Threading a .30 cal Tikka t3x superlite or lite

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That sounds like a sweet option. I really want to make a Tikka work.
It’s not that hard, just need to send the barreled action out. I had mine back in a few weeks and it works perfectly.

Attachments

• 1E4B9FD5-CDBC-4F3A-83DF-474EF77931C2.jpeg
    1E4B9FD5-CDBC-4F3A-83DF-474EF77931C2.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 197

bigbuckdj

WKR
Gunsmith installed a shoulder and added material so I can direct thread 5/8x24 on my Kimber and a tikka. No more of those adapters needed.
That is sweet, is the shoulder threaded? Is your barrel OD smaller than the major diameter of a 5/8x24

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The simple answer to your question is yes you can but it's not recommended. I had been planning to do exactly the same thing, Tikka T3x lite in .308, cut to 18" and thread it to run a can. People say they do it all the time, but in searching for this answer I have found that many times they haven't actually done what we want to do. #1, threading a .308 is not the same as threading a 6.5CM or a 6CM, less barrel thickness means not as much meat. #2, they have threaded 1/2-28 and added a muzzle brake. Running a muzzle brake is different than hanging a can off the end of the barrel. I called LRI and they told me they do not recommend threading a 30 CAL pencil barrel. They say guys do it but they have seen problems when it's been done. I run a TBAC can and TBAC specifically says they do not recommend using 1/2-28 threads with their cans. As much as I want to do it, that is 2 different reputable companies telling me I shouldn't. I'm not sure I can ignore that.

You do understand that there are literally tens of thousands of T3 lites threaded all over the world?

As for your 30cal specifically, I have shot thousands of rounds personally from T3 lites in 30cal threaded and suppressed.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That is sweet, is the shoulder threaded? Is your barrel OD smaller than the major diameter of a 5/8x24
I don’t think the OD of the barrel is smaller than the threads but the size is similar. Just looking at it I can see why they wouldn’t just thread a tikka barrel to those tolerances. A good gunsmith can make a quality work around though. For reference that rifle is a t3x lite 30-06, the barrel was cut to 18”.

leclairk

FNG
You do understand that there are literally tens of thousands of T3 lites threaded all over the world?

As for your 30cal specifically, I have shot thousands of rounds personally from T3 lites in 30cal threaded and suppressed.
I'm saying what LRI told me. Are they wrong? I'm legitimately asking.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I don’t think the OD of the barrel is smaller than the threads but the size is similar. Just looking at it I can see why they wouldn’t just thread a tikka barrel to those tolerances. A good gunsmith can make a quality work around though. For reference that rifle is a t3x lite 30-06, the barrel was cut to 18”.
Yeah I guess I feel like at the end of the day you have 5/8x24 of metal there between your device and the bullet

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah I guess I feel like at the end of the day you have 5/8x24 of metal there between your device and the bullet
If you’re talking about having the wall thickness whether you use an adaptor or if you have the gunsmith do why I did, you are right. Using the adapter isn’t going to cause anything to blow up or something. The concern is that there are thin spots in the metal that aren’t fixed by using the adapter and they can break if dropped or torqued. Email TBAC, they can explain it better than I can. Tons of people use the adapters with no problems so it’s not really a deal breaker. I just wanted it done exactly how I liked it.

I have not had any problems with 1/2x28 on my -06 tikka cut to 20” with a banish 30. I would have preferred 5/8 but could not find anyone locally that would put their name on the work.

Jakl

FNG
Well this thread just pushed me over the edge to pick up a T3x. Finding an off the shelf rifle for a lefty isn’t easy but Tikka makes plenty. Time to find one and get it threaded with a shoulder.

AkRyan

WKR
5/8x24 on a 19" 300wsm works for a brake but I haven't tried a can yet.....still waiting.

Dobermann

WKR
I've had a gunsmith put M14x1 threads on a couple of Lites and Superlites with no problem.

My thicker CTR barrel has a 5/8x24.

I'm saying what LRI told me. Are they wrong? I'm legitimately asking.

They aren’t wrong, they probably just don’t feel comfortable putting their name on work that isn’t up to industry standards or something.

It is more likely that they don't want to open themselves up to someone being a dumbass and putting a 25 oz suppressor on it, chucking it down an avalanche chute, and then claiming that LRI's workmanship sucks because the barrel cracked at the root of the threads.
Just like everything else, manufacturers and aftermarket producers will dumb their products/services down to keep themselves insulated from the dumbest 1% of the population. For the remaining 99% of us, we will never have any issues.

RWA13

FNG
I have a 300 WSM Superlite that I had cut just beyond the flutes and thread 1/2-28 by Class 3 Machining. I use a Area 419 adapter and a Hellfire brake, and intend to use their suppressor adapters once I get my suppressor. No problems whatsoever.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a hold of a Gunsmith named Kevin Weaver in Peyton. He said he's done tons of 30 cal 1/2x28 and recommend an adapter. I know someone on this thread said his gunsmith said the same thing. I'm going to try it out and see what happens.

gbflyer

WKR
The bore diameter on a .308 caliber barrel will open slightly cut down to 1/2-28 at the threaded area if checked with a pin gauge. Some say this is a potential detriment to accuracy. I suppose some barrels may not respond well, but is there enough accuracy degradation to be measured and if so do we really care on a sporting rifle? That’s something we have to decide for ourselves. In terms of danger, I always figure that is the dangerous end anyway. I have a couple that are threaded thinner than they should be. No problems so far.