Thoughts on this Rain Coat for CO

what do you think?

• Total voters
Brother save your money, and go with a high quality rain piece. I've toyed around the idea of getting cheap rain gear to get by... I'm just going with kuiu cHugach and calling it a day.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
:) i know it is just eating at me spending much on rain gear i may never or hardly use. I guess i'll just have to breakdown and do it. I have a 3 layer goretex jacket a buddy gave me because it was to big for him but that thing is all of 2lbs or more. If I ever get to hunt a rainy or wet climate i would take that with me. I think that is why i'm having a hard time with this.

Last edited:
OP
D

dotman

WKR
Well maybe i should rethink taking what i have, weighs more then i would like but is military issue 3 layer goretex and nothing is getting thru it.

It is in airforce tiger stripe and made by tennier industries. Here is what i have http://www.tennierindustries.com/apecs.html

Last edited:
I agree for that price just go with the better stuff. Theres seems to be two ways to go, Cheap or expensive. The cheap stuff cabelas space rain or off brand stuff will work when used but logevity isnt there. Expensive works when you need it and keeps working. You get neither by going in the middle. Myself, after completely outfitting myself for backpack hunting (new pack, bag, tent) I just cant afford the nice rain gear. So I will either go really cheap for some light compressible stuff or just use the military issued gore-tex I got when I was in the military until next year

I would gladly drop $400 on a set of QUALITY rain gear that lasts and NEVER need it than spend $400 on 4 SETS of rain gear and ALWAYS regret it because I am soaked. I have used cheap rain gear before when I had to and its a lesson that doesn't need repeated EVER. NEVER skimp on equipment. You'll end up regretting it when you need it the most and wish you had waited another month or two savings wise and just gotten the good stuff.

I hunt Washington, and it rains a lot here. That being said I use marmot precip and it works fine. You can usually get the top for $100 everyday, and I got my last top on sale for $50. I'm on my second top, I bought the first in 2004 and lived in it while guiding in Ak the first year. I think for the price its pretty good stuff since it has lasted so long for me.

bowinhand

WKR
You could also consider a sil-nylon poncho, light packs small can be used as an emergency shelter and worn over your pack.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used multiple Rain Jackets up here in AK. Below is how I rank the few I have used. (talking breathable type stuff, not HH)
#1 - KUIU Chugach
Super Waterproof AND Breathable.. My favorite of the bunch..
#2 - Patagonia Rain Shadow (You can get their Military (MARS) line for decent deals on eBay <$100)
Almost as good as the Chugach, just soaks through after multiple days of no let up rain, but does dry out quickly.
#3 - Clouviel Zorro Jacket
Worked pretty good, just not as breathable as the two above. Did not seem as durable, but still a decent jacket
#4 - RedHead Camo Jacket (BassPro)
Cheapest of the 4, good deal for someone who expects occasional rain