Full Waterproof (Non-Breathable) Rain Jacket Options

AKMoose

WKR
Interested in hearing some thoughts or being pointed towards some products I may not know exist of Fully Waterproof and Non Breathable rain gear.

I know we could all go nuts talking about advantages and disadvantages of gore-tex or other membranes, but that's not what I want to discuss here, but feel free to open another thread for that if you wish.

I am interested in trying out some fully waterproof construction rain jacket. I know of essentially two options on the market.

1. Fully rubberized/pvc rain gear (Think Grundens Neptune or Helly Hansen Impertech).

2. UL backpacker type rain jackets made with Siliconized Nylon (Anti Gravity Gear). This one is a 70D inside and outside coated with silicone.

Are there others on the market that I am missing? For me the Rubberized gear is too clunky - it just doesn't seem to fit well. It's cheap and it's easily replaceable, which is a huge bonus. I haven't tried the UL backpacker style rain jackets, but on first impression it just seems like such light fabric and couldn't handle much wear and tear with the inevitable bush whacking during hunts. (After reading it was 70D SilNylon, I looked for comparibles, and that's the same denier and fabric style the Hilleberg Black Label Tents use...).

So what else is there?

Any jackets made of Xpac? Or other options between rubberized rain gear and UL fabrics?

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
HH jackets with pitzips?
There's only a couple HH jackets that are fully waterproof, and most of those don't have pit zips. The Impertech does have some venting but not pits.
Big plus for the Grunden gear is you can get it in camo, I'm very pleased with the Grunden's.
Yeah the Neptune is solid stuff, I just wish they had pit zips on those models and it would be an excellent hunting jacket in my opinion. Lack of any vents makes it tough
Stone Glacier M7 is fully waterproof and windproof.
M7 is just like any other waterproof/breathable fabric, just use their own membrane just like goretex.

264 MHC

FNG
I like the camo Grundens Neptune as well. It has more features than most PVC style jackets. They don't list the features on the website which makes itLots of Stretch, Full front zip with snapped storm fly, two zipped hand pockets, Brimmed hood, Hood draw strings that pull inside the coat to keep from snagging, and a velcro adjustment on the back of the hood that actually works pretty well for increasing peripheral vision. Couple inside dump pockets as well. The Cuffs are good as well and actually seal on your wrist with the stretchy PU material. Its not super light, but packs decent into its own hood. Really the only thing missing is pit zips. You can get a little ventilation by snapping the storm fly but leaving the zipper unzipped. They don't list the features on the website which makes it look a lot more basic but it's pretty full featured. It isn't very loud rubbing the material together but does have that rubbery noise moving around.

I've considered buying some Aquaguard Zippers and seeing if I could find someone to sew them in for pit zips, but I'm worried about durability and sealing.

Really about a perfect jacket for stationary sitting in a downpour. Sure is hot in the summer though.

Marmot MemBrain fabrics utilize a polyurethane laminate that perfectly balances performance for anything nature can throw at you. Waterproof, breathable and durable, the external protection coupled with minimal internal condensation adds up to pure comfort.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
What is your use for the jacket? I have Grundens Neptune for all day stand in the rain steelhead fishing on the oregon coast. Sitka cloudburst for active hunting. Each has their place. The grundens are durable for busting brush and blackberries, but if your are active you will sweat. They would be sweet with pit zips

dhawkez

FNG
Interested in hearing some thoughts or being pointed towards some products I may not know exist of Fully Waterproof and Non Breathable rain gear.

I know we could all go nuts talking about advantages and disadvantages of gore-tex or other membranes, but that's not what I want to discuss here, but feel free to open another thread for that if you wish.

I am interested in trying out some fully waterproof construction rain jacket. I know of essentially two options on the market.

1. Fully rubberized/pvc rain gear (Think Grundens Neptune or Helly Hansen Impertech).

2. UL backpacker type rain jackets made with Siliconized Nylon (Anti Gravity Gear). This one is a 70D inside and outside coated with silicone.

Are there others on the market that I am missing? For me the Rubberized gear is too clunky - it just doesn't seem to fit well. It's cheap and it's easily replaceable, which is a huge bonus. I haven't tried the UL backpacker style rain jackets, but on first impression it just seems like such light fabric and couldn't handle much wear and tear with the inevitable bush whacking during hunts. (After reading it was 70D SilNylon, I looked for comparibles, and that's the same denier and fabric style the Hilleberg Black Label Tents use...).

So what else is there?

Any jackets made of Xpac? Or other options between rubberized rain gear and UL fabrics?
Sitka

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Is it important to you how quiet the material is? I work in the dairy industry and wear under tech gear all the time. It’s water proof, tough, and not super heavy. Definitely not quiet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sargent

WKR
I have the Lightheart Gear rain suit. It is waterproof and light. The jacket leaks through the pit zips a little in a torrential downpour and it probably wouldn't hold up to tons of brush busting, but it is waterproof and light.

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
What is your use for the jacket? I have Grundens Neptune for all day stand in the rain steelhead fishing on the oregon coast. Sitka cloudburst for active hunting. Each has their place. The grundens are durable for busting brush and blackberries, but if your are active you will sweat. They would be sweet with pit zips
A Neptune with pit zips would be just about perfect.

Or if hilleberg made a rain jacket out of their bomber black label fabric, that's something I would buy.

Those suits you’re talking about are miserable to wear, you just get drenched from within instead of from the rain.

I use Arcteryx rain gear and as my outer shell and I’ve been outside all day in miserable rainy weather and never have I gotten wet. The Alpha and the Beta lines. They’re meant for alpine and mountaineering and are very abrasion resistant and hold up to abuse.

Brendan

WKR
I know you said non-breathable and probably not what you were thinking, but what about Orvis Toughshell? Marketed as waterproof upland gear for brush busting, including protection from Briars and Thorns.

I have a pair of the pants, haven't really worn them yet though to give experience, but from a venting perspective much better, and my HH Impertech is leaking so am wondering about the jacket too.

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
Patagonia has a river salt rain jacket that made out of their waders material.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Ill check that one out.
Those suits you’re talking about are miserable to wear, you just get drenched from within instead of from the rain.

I use Arcteryx rain gear and as my outer shell and I’ve been outside all day in miserable rainy weather and never have I gotten wet. The Alpha and the Beta lines. They’re meant for alpine and mountaineering and are very abrasion resistant and hold up to abuse.
This is the same as any other "waterproof" breathable and would be very similar to sitka/kuiu/stone glacier/first lite -
I know you said non-breathable and probably not what you were thinking, but what about Orvis Toughshell? Marketed as waterproof upland gear for brush busting, including protection from Briars and Thorns.

I have a pair of the pants, haven't really worn them yet though to give experience, but from a venting perspective much better, and my HH Impertech is leaking so am wondering about the jacket too.
Looks like a nice shell, but yeah same as above. "Waterproof" breathable

This is the same as any other "waterproof" breathable and would be very similar to sitka/kuiu/stone glacier/first lite -

I'm very aware of their construction and that it's not what you're asking about, but they are not similar at all in their performance because the Arcteryx lines I mentioned actually keep you dry. Not all breathable waterproof stuff is created equally, the Arcteryx Alpha and Beta lines are truely 100% waterproof.

The suits you're interested in absolutely suck to wear, you might as well just wrap yourself in a trash bag. It's your money though so waste it as you please.