Thoughts on this Huntin Fool moose video ethics?

I have multiple texts from multiple people already about wounding elk with bows and muzzleloaders, and then continuing to hunt.

I think it is a product of people not practicing, not preparing, and not thinking through the scenarios they have created for themselves. I believe there are far more people who hunt that will not hesitate to send it on a marginal shot "just in case" rather than wait for that shot they are 99% on. I believe it is a hit to the ego to turn down an animal and risk not getting that picture for the year.

EX:
"four arrows for four elk...grazed and scared (crying laughing emoji)"
different person
"found arrow, two drops of blood..smaller 6x6...meh shit happens" (kills a different bull the next day)
different person
"perfect shot on a bull can you come pack meat?...he went into a canyon...(very short time later) he went uphill into this canyon so I don't think he died."
different person
"shot a stud bull hard quartering away...I'm going to go back to the truck and come back in 7 hours"

Take a guess at how many of those people kept hunting, how many killed a different animal?

It reminds me of this thread that I started last fall. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/how-often-do-you-find-unrecovered-animals.334329/

I have multiple texts from multiple people already about wounding elk with bows and muzzleloaders, and then continuing to hunt.

I think it is a product of people not practicing, not preparing, and not thinking through the scenarios they have created for themselves. I believe there are far more people who hunt that will not hesitate to send it on a marginal shot "just in case" rather than wait for that shot they are 99% on. I believe it is a hit to the ego to turn down an animal and risk not getting that picture for the year.

EX:
different person
"found arrow, two drops of blood..smaller 6x6...meh shit happens" (kills a different bull the next day)
different person
"perfect shot on a bull can you come pack meat?...he went into a canyon...(very short time later) he went uphill into this canyon so I don't think he died."
different person
"shot a stud bull hard quartering away...I'm going to go back to the truck and come back in 7 hours"

Take a guess at how many of those people kept hunting, how many killed a different animal?

It reminds me of this thread that I started last fall. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/how-often-do-you-find-unrecovered-animals.334329/
I’d find a new friend group…

That video really bugged me. Why he didn't keep pursuing that first moose with the bow I couldn't understand, then shooting a moose in that much water, and doing it poorly was just poor form. I would have like to see them be more aggressive after the first arrow on that moose, and call it a hunt if they somehow couldn't get it, which I think they could have.

Reactions: OMB
You never call me back

edited to add, @svivian which of those four texts do you think came from someone who repeats the same each year?
“Repeats the same each year”??? Wow… we’ve all lost a wounded animal I’m sure. And we all know how bad it sucks. I expect it more from young guys or newbs. If someone is wounding & not recovering animals on a regular basis or every year they should seriously rethink if they should be hunting at all. At the very least, start rifle hunting only with a100yd max shot distance. If it still happens, they should do everyone a favor & stick to mushroom hunting.

That first shot looks 100% fatal to me. I’ve never cut up a moose but they say in the video, it’s just in the brisket. Guys with moose experience, is this true? I screenshot the video at impact for reference. Arrow buried to the fletching so at least 22” of penetration, and when it whirls around, it appears the nock angles down meaning the broadhead went higher in the body cavity or the arrow snapped. Like I said, no moose experience, but 1/3rd the way up, looks like probably 1 lung and liver to me. Second arrow hit high shoulder with minimal penetration and I thought I saw an “over the top” expandable.
View attachment 765950

Definitely not in the brisket. I'd say 100% fatal shot based on several moose that I have or have seen shots placed very similarly on. Lungs and liver most likely. If he was quartering away, probably would have got some heart in there.

The worst deaths and recoveries I've seen on moose, including one my partner killed 5 days ago, are high shot placements, midline of the animal and up. There are a lot of voids in the top half of moose that either won't kill the animal, or won't kill them quickly. I always exaggerate my shots low on moose for a few reasons, quicker death and better blood trails. High shots on moose usually lead to a lot of blood pooling in the body cavity and crappy or nonexistent blood trails. High double lung shots can be very problematic to follow even if the animal dies relatively quickly. It is remarkable how much ground a moose in flight can cover in a very short period of time.

On my moose this year I put two rounds from a .300wm in basically that same spot but with more of a broadside presentation and blew the heart to shreds. The 67" with a massive body bull took three steps and was dead in seconds with a shocking amount of blood loss.

EX:
different person
different person
different person

We do a lot of driving for whitetails here in PA and more than once have I been told “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” after stating I passed on a shot that I didn’t think was good on a moving deer.

I’ve also spent a decent amount of time looking for deer that were hit by others that needed tracking and a finishing shot.

You should only be able to hunt out of your state or province with a guide. That’ll solve all this BS.

I am so glad fools from every province can’t come hunt in B.C. if you don’t live here you shouldn’t get to hunt the big game.

Thankfully Canada is nothing like the USA and doesn’t like yahoos from any state hunt wherever they want self guided. You don’t end up catering to trash like the hunters in this video.

You want to hunt a different province or state ? Pay a guide outfitter and stimulate the economy but none of this self guided hunt BS. Stay in your own backyard and learn your own area.

Locals respect their back yard far more than some yahoo from a city 5000km away that’ll never see the mountain side again.
Outfitter welfare has no place in hunting.

Canada😂😂😂😂😂

Didn't watch the video, but this is the reason I'd have a slight hesitation to use a bow for a moose, sheep, or goat hunt. If I wound an animal and there's any question of it being fatal, I consider that tag filled. Those hunts are likely once in a lifetime and I wouldn't really worry about wounding anything with a rifle. I'm not saying I wouldn't use my bow, but the dilemma would definitely weigh on me a bit.

Didn't watch the video, but this is the reason I'd have a slight hesitation to use a bow for a moose, sheep, or goat hunt. If I wound an animal and there's any question of it being fatal, I consider that tag filled. Those hunts are likely once in a lifetime and I wouldn't really worry about wounding anything with a rifle. I'm not saying I wouldn't use my bow, but the dilemma would definitely weigh on me a bit.
The once in a lifetime I get not using a bow as it opens up ore opportunities. But Moose are basically built for bow hunting. Large kill zone and are regularly called in close or are very susceptible to it. The issues I see with shots on moose seem to be patience/forcing shots.

I've killed 3 moose with a bow and have seen both ends of the spectrum from very quick to long and protracted deaths. One died very badly. One died about like I would expect any animal to after a well made shot (double lung at 18 yards) and a 200 yard jog. The last and most recent one was the quickest big game animal death I've seen. It was a frontal shot from 8 yards. It was dead in less than 30 seconds.

After quite a bit of time spent reflecting on all of these experiences, I will definitely continue to bow hunt for moose and other big game animals, but I will limit myself to ranges and situations where I am very, very confident I can put my arrow where I want it to go. There are so many ways using the stick and string can go wrong. The most distance and suboptimal factors you add to the equation, the bigger the likelihood that something will go bad.

The once in a lifetime I get not using a bow as it opens up ore opportunities. But Moose are basically built for bow hunting. Large kill zone and are regularly called in close or are very susceptible to it. The issues I see with shots on moose seem to be patience/forcing shots.

Agreed.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one bothered by this. While I have never hunted moose I was surprised he took the first shot at the distance and angle the moose was at and even more surprised to see him keep hunting after the slow-mo playbacks. Bummer

I started to pile on with the Canada shade. I was leaning towards something about freedom of expression/speech there, but then I realized that they are probably only ahead of us and we are following the lead of several. Note - the thought was in just/good-natured fun. I had an amazing trip in Canada last year - one of the most beautiful places I've been.

Back