Thoughts on suppressed build

bmart2622

WKR
My ultra mag is about do for a new barrel. Thinking about rebarreling it in a 300 win mag with a 22" barrel and running a suppressor like a Banish Backcountry or Tbac Ultra 5. Im new to the supressor game so any insight would be appreciated, thanks

I just built a 300 WM with a Savage action and a 21” x-caliber barrel. Haven’t shot it yet, but I like how it handles with my Dead Air Nomad on it.

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
I’m running 300 ultra mag 23” with great results M10 RexSilentem great on recoil also I run it on a 18” 6.5 prc.
make sure the suppressor you’re looking at will work on the length of the barrel?

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
I’m running 300 ultra mag 23” with great results M10 RexSilentem great on recoil also I run it on a 18” 6.5 prc.

make sure the suppressor you’re looking at will work on the length of the barrel?

I guess I didnt consider staying with the 300 ultra. Thata an option and would still give me good velocity with the shorter barrel. Hows the velocity and recoil on yours?

Slightly different approach, but there's a guy selling a Sako S20 in .300WM with only 25 rounds through it in gun classifieds. He's in MT and only asking $1k plus shipping. Bad a$$ rifle if a guy is looking for a .300WM.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I don't get suppressing magnums because 1) longer barrels, and 2) they aren't very quiet. Suppressors are great for moderate cartridges like 308 & 6.5 Creed.

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
Guess I’m the lucky one with the suppression on a magnum great on recoil and 100% quieter than muzzle break. Also i gained 24 feet faster shooting suppressEd too.

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
A little bit more, but really it’s not that bad I’ll take the suppressor over a break any day and my hunting buddy loves it because it’s not killing his ears lol.

Geewhiz

WKR
Personally, I don't get suppressing magnums because 1) longer barrels, and 2) they aren't very quiet. Suppressors are great for moderate cartridges like 308 & 6.5 Creed.
I can only assume you've not spent much time around suppressed magnums then. I cannot argue with long barrels, thats truth. I've got a 338 RUM, that's a big ass magnum, its amazingly quiet. Everything about that rifle is more enjoyable to shoot when its suppressed.

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
Are you leaning on that 180 Ab hard? I get 3175 with a 200gr AB with my 26" barrel now

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Certainly a suppressor is quieter than a break, if recoil reduction is primary goal.

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
How is a welded can user serviceable?

Cans do not even come close to a brake for recoil reduction. Compared to nothing on the end they do have some recoil reduction. Try shooting an XP-100 where you don't have a butt stock suppressed and unsuppressed, big difference. I did it with my 7mm Dakota XP. While it is possible to shoot suppressed the odds of getting smacked in the face by the scope were pretty near 100%, braked wasn't an issue at all.

I'd look at something in the 7-9" range. Wouldn't necessarily go away from the 300rum either

The little shorty (read low volume) cans, like an Ultra 5, banish backcountry, sandman-k, etc.
Got it. I just ordered a Hyperion K and thought why wouldn't that be a good first suppressor as it gets great reviews. Made me nervous I made a poor choice.

ID_Matt

WKR
So why not a K can?
The recoil reduction and sound suppression will be underwhelming in my opinion and is magnified on a bigger magnum. I think the shorter cans are best on medium sized cartridges. I agree with some of the above, 22" with a 7" can would be a good happy medium. Don't get me wrong, I own a tbac ultra 5 and love it but on the bigger magnums I reach for my omega.

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
So with a 7" suppressor does it extend a full 7" off the end of the barrel or does it overlap the barrel some?

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Really need to establish your priorities before getting a can and setting up a rifle. We don't all shoot/hunt the same way. I prioritize hunting which is why I posted my initial response. I also don't shoot long range >400yds. I want a rifle around 8.5 lbs max and total barrel length of 22-24 inch's with can. A 5 inch can gets me to near hearing safe on mid calibers. I switch to a bigger can for range time, max suppression, or subsonics. A big can on a magnum would be very effective, but not something I would want to tote very far.