Thoughts on my next rifle build.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
So over the last few months I have been looking at fierce rifles etc. Looking at the price and figure I would just "build" my own rifle. I'll be doing a remage "build". Here is what I am looking at.
Action: Gunwerks GRB. I was going to get a R700 and have it trued, etc but by the time I spend the money I'm looking at the same price as what the GRB action is.

Stock: Gunwerks Clymer. I really like the negative comb and not having such a sever vertical grip like a lot of longer range hunting rigs. This should suit me well hunting out west and back in the treestand back home

Barrel: Going to be a CarbonSix in 6.5 PRC and a 1 in 7.5" twist. I'm still trying to decide if I should get a 22", 23", or 24" barrel.

Bottom Metal: Hawkins Hunter DBM

Trigger: Probably a Timney Two Stage straight trigger like I have had on previous rifles

Optic: Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44

Thoughts?

KU_Geo

WKR
All Sounds good. I would go with a 22 inch barrel. You’re still get great performance out of the PRC and I’ll be much handy or for Treestand hunting back east. No experience with a gunwerks action, and I generally see actions as “just pick the one you like.”

OP
B

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
All Sounds good. I would go with a 22 inch barrel. You’re still get great performance out of the PRC and I’ll be much handy or for Treestand hunting back east. No experience with a gunwerks action, and I generally see actions as “just pick the one you like.”
I appreciate that. Yeah I'm on the same conclusion. I was going to reuse one of my Howa action but by the time I get this factory rifle trued and weight taking off of it. What I spend in that will be close to what I could just get that Gunwerks action for. I was also looking a mac bros action but they have been out of stock for a while.

axeforce6

WKR
I think you’re on the right track. When you say remage I’m assuming barrel but. Me personally I’d have a shouldered barrel made. You can send your action to C6 and they’ll do that for you.
Trigger: I’m a big fan of Triggertech specials.
Barrel: I have a C6 and it’s a shooter. I hunt suppressed so I’m ok with a 24” but prefer the shorter barrels for the woods I hunt.
Optic: This is where I’ll disagree. If you want a good light optic search for a V6 3-18 or a V4 4-16.

OP
B

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’re on the right track. When you say remage I’m assuming barrel but. Me personally I’d have a shouldered barrel made. You can send your action to C6 and they’ll do that for you.
Trigger: I’m a big fan of Triggertech specials.
Barrel: I have a C6 and it’s a shooter. I hunt suppressed so I’m ok with a 24” but prefer the shorter barrels for the woods I hunt.
Optic: This is where I’ll disagree. If you want a good light optic search for a V6 3-18 or a V4 4-16.
C6 isn't offering installations due to their high order volume. Both the Leupold V6 and the Zeiss V4 are heavier than the V5 by several ouncers. I'm curious what makes you pick one of those scopes over the V5?

axeforce6

WKR
I have a V6 and it’s been great. Superior glass is worth the couple extra ounces. Leupold has had a lot of tracking issues as of late. So to me it’s not worth the chance. If it was a range rifle I wouldn’t worry as much.
They did that for me a little while ago, I didn’t know they had stopped. If I were you, I’d call southern precision rifles and see what 6.5 barrels they have in stock and/or coming in that will work for you. He Can make you a prefit that will be top notch. What you’ll find out as I did from past experiences is that a prefit is the way to go. You can have several made for the one action. All you’ll need is a barrel vise. Action wrench. And a torque wrench. It’ll take 5 minutes to swap. You can run 6.5 PRC and a 300wsm on the same platform and have two different options at all times.

Bearman64

FNG
Classified Approved
I have the VX6 2-12 with the FireDot, mounted on a CA Ridgeline TI. Got it to hunt elk In Wyoming. Figured the FireDot at 2 power might come in handy in dark timber with grizzlies around.