Thoughts on GPO Optics

Why do you say that? I’m seriously considering GPO and would love your opinion.
Where are they made? How long will GPO be around? Are they actually German, or did they just co-opt that name for marketing purposes so they could mislead the consumer? Their whole business model is not to my liking. The optics themselves, like a lot of chinese glass, have an odd, hard to explain distortion similar to the chinese made Meopta Meopros. But as I always say, if they work for your eyes, go for it. My wife has astigmatism and thinks her Bushnell Legend M's are better than Swaro SLC's. Who am I to argue with her?

I hope they are successful and are around for a long time. But I wouldn't put any of my money on that.

Where are they made? How long will GPO be around? Are they actually German, or did they just co-opt that name for marketing purposes so they could mislead the consumer? Their whole business model is not to my liking. The optics themselves, like a lot of chinese glass, have an odd, hard to explain distortion similar to the chinese made Meopta Meopros. But as I always say, if they work for your eyes, go for it. My wife has astigmatism and thinks her Bushnell Legend M's are better than Swaro SLC's. Who am I to argue with her?

I hope they are successful and are around for a long time. But I wouldn't put any of my money on that.
See post # 8 in this thread: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/gpo-scopes-where-are-they-made.327531/

Thanks to @gr8fuldoug . I saw this two days ago and called CL and bought a NF NXS 2.5-10x42 to replace my GPO Spectra RS640 for my upcoming sheep hunt. Ill put the GPO on a 5.56 farm rifle that I carry in the UTV when doing chores.

1690021195958.png
1690021224225.png

Would be interesting to see the same list for their binoculars. The fact that the word Germany doesn't show up anywhere on that list is IMO proof they don't mind misleading people. Reminds me of "Henry" rifles.

Would be interesting to see the same list for their binoculars. The fact that the word Germany doesn't show up anywhere on that list is IMO proof they don't mind misleading people. Reminds me of "Henry" rifles.
Yeah, that’s another reason I’ve never really considered them. If a company is going to call itself German Precision Optics and contract out the manufacturing to everywhere except Germany, then something seems a bit off. :unsure:

Yeah, that’s another reason I’ve never really considered them. If a company is going to call itself German Precision Optics and contract out the manufacturing to everywhere except Germany, then something seems a bit off. :unsure:
It's not uncommon.

Texas Pete's hot sauce has nothing to do with Texas nor Pete. Arizona Iced Tea has nothing to do with Arizona.

SDHNTR

WKR
With so many good and proven options out there, why? I had a GPO scope and as soon as I mounted it and shot a few rounds, I couldn’t unmount it fast enough. Total POS. And the misleading German but nothing’s German nomenclature is bush league. They might sell at some big box where Bubba Fudd doesn’t know any better, but they ain’t gonna fly around here with sophisticated consumers.

KenLee

WKR
I've had a R350 Passion 4-12x42 on an a-bolt medallion 280 for probably 5 years. No issues, but not much hard use. I'd compare quality, low light performance and clarity to the old Zeiss Conquest MC line. I'd pick it over a VX3 Leupy.

Just sold the 280 and trying to decide whether to put the GPO on a 223 or 22-250.
It was going on a pink creed til I sprung for another 56mm Accupoint.

SDHNTR

WKR
I've had a R350 Passion 4-12x42 on an a-bolt medallion 280 for probably 5 years. No issues, but not much hard use. I'd compare quality, low light performance and clarity to the old Zeiss Conquest MC line. I'd pick it over a VX3 Leupy.

Just sold the 280 and trying to decide whether to put the GPO on a 223 or 22-250.
It was going on a pink creed til I sprung for another 56mm Accupoint.
Same scope I had. Hated it!

SDHNTR

WKR
That's wild. Have you ever used a Conquest MC line scope?
Yes. I have one. It works fine. Once over a certain threshold, I honestly don’t care too much about glass. It’s either good enough or it’s not. The vast majority of scopes I’ve ever owned are good enough, and certainly all of them over a few hundred bucks. I care about how user friendly and reliable they are. That POS GPO was not user friendly at all and went by bye long before reliability became an issue. It tunneled so bad. Anything over 10x was unusable. Eyebox was so tight. Lots of parallax error. Terribly mushy turrets. The first impression was so bad I ripped it off and it never got a chance for further use. Felt super cheap and over priced for what it was.

KenLee

WKR
Yes. I have one. It works fine. Once over a certain threshold, I honestly don’t care too much about glass. It’s either good enough or it’s not. The vast majority of scopes I’ve ever owned are good enough, and certainly all of them over a few hundred bucks. I care about how user friendly and reliable they are. That POS GPO was not user friendly at all and went by bye long before reliability became an issue. It tunneled so bad. Anything over 10x was unusable. Eyebox was so tight. Lots of parallax error. Terribly mushy turrets. The first impression was so bad I ripped it off and it never got a chance for further use. Felt super cheap and over priced for what it was.
I don't think I ever cranked mine up over 10.
My opinion regarding eyebox may be skewed, as I've been using a-bolt 1 and 2 models since 1988, so if I have eye relief set correctly, I'm always in correct position when the rifle comes up. Muscle memory at this point. I haven't shot over 400 yards in years, so it was set and forget regarding turrets with this scope. I can't recall shooting anything over 300 yards with it.

I currently own and use the 10x42 Passion ED as my main Bino setup and am extremely impressed with the build quality. The glass is exactly what you would expect for the price and doesn’t pu ch above its weight for the money but I believe the build quality and attention to detail absolutely make them worth the price.