Thermals

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
The 'unfair advantage' excuse isnt a good one for hunters to use. A high caliber rifle, a compound bow are both unfair advantages. If the only reason to not use a tool/device is unfair advantage then it can be used against usage on all levels.......that is why humans have dominion over animals......we can create unfair advantages. If it is legal, use it. If it is illegal or you personally feel it is morally wrong, then don't.......pretty simple.
Then why restrict anything if that’s what you want to go with ? Poison, bait, cameras, drones why do we restrict any of it then?

rifles and compound bows created an advantage over their predecesso… sure not arguing that but those are “traditional“ uses that have been around in some form or fashion and mostly still somewhat resemble how we’ve always pursued game in this country. today’s ongoing technology is out pacing our ability to put back what we take out

so if comes down to I guess is it good for the future of hunting or is it not ?

Thermal is like flipping a switch tech wise. It has happened overnight.

Center fire cartridges, bullets, powders, arrows, bows, optics, etc are like a dimmer switch. It has happened extremely slowly. The tech is there though. Bullets are getting more and more slippery so we can cheat the wind and kill easier from further distances. New cartridges every year. Rangefinders that spit your dope out.

We get better and better at killing game with crutches. But because some crutches started as canes they are fine. If a crutch starts as a crutch it’s the devil.

The first decent bull I killed was a long range bull. If scopes were illegal I wouldn’t have been able to kill it even if I used thermal to find it. So maybe we should allow thermal but ban scopes? I bet there would be a big decrease in rifle success rates.

Or maybe we quit trying to ban/change things and follow the rules of whatever state we are hunting in at the time?

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
I’m against thermal except for invasives and predators at night and only after deer season. BUT if you want to make a cool argument in favor of thermal how about a hard to get tag for hand held thermal for archery only. No gun or gun tag in possession.

Of course you haven't. "We need to ban something even though I've never done it." Reminds me of anti's.
So you have to have tried something to know that it shouldn't be legal? I've never shot a deer with a drone mounted gun. Guess I'm out of line thinking it should be illegal.🙄

What’s the distance you can see with a handheld, non cooled, thermal monocular? It can’t be more than 200 ish yards?

What’s the distance you can see with a handheld, non cooled, thermal monocular? It can’t be more than 200 ish yards?
The furthest I measured was just under 1000 at sundown, not even complete darkness. They advertise 1800 meters in complete darkness for the Pulsar 2 XP50 Pro which is what I had.

Geewhiz

WKR
Dad and brother have Nvision halo lr thermal scopes. Ive spotted a rabbit in a hay field over a mile away. It is an incredible piece of technology. You can see a mouse running through the grass on a hillside at 150 yds in the right conditions. Crazy.